• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

We Want "Google Translate In Punjabi"

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
This would be invaluable to Sikhs everywhere. I have received numerous e-mails asking me to please publish it in Punjabi, which I cannot do on my own. I have been looking for a widget for years. If this were to go through, no widget would be necessary and online communication between Punjabi and diaspora Sikhs, and also between the generations would be greatly enhanced.

Please sign the petition. Google has a history of listening to what its users want. I'm sure they will listen if we get enough signatures.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Petition google to translate text into punjabi

Google Translate is a great feature. Now when a site comes up in Spanish or
German or even Chinese, it is automatically translated with one quick
click. And vice versa. Readers in many languages can get English
translated into their languages. But not if it's in English and you want
Punjabi.

There is a petition asking Google Translate to please add Punjabi to its
language bank. All the petition says is, "We would like 'Google Translate'
to create a language Punjabi. All the signatures, are willing to use this
feature, if created." No politics. No controversy. If this interests you
- and it probably should - please go to

We want 'Google Translate' in Punjabi - Petition - Sign this petition here - Signature page - GoPetition

and sign.

BazGrewal

SPNer
Sep 17, 2010
Yeah google needs to be translated into Punjabi, i tried out with Hindi and seems pretty cool, it would also help people expand their punjabi vocabularies. I will sign the petition.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Yes, it actually works too! I copied a paragraph from Khalsa News into the translation window and in a nanosecond it was translated into Punjabi transliteration and into English.

The results are a little rough because of word order differences between Punjabi and English, and also because of idioms that don't exist in English or are stated a different way. That problem however is not a deal breaker because it is not hard to re-construct the translation so that the English is straightforward.

The is true for any translation - the word by word does not translate 100 percent. The human mind is needed to restructure things so the results are completely understandable.

I love it. Can you imagine how this is going to help SPN take off in the direction of bilingual presentations of important content? We already started that with our Punjabi only threads which are mostly about current events. Now we really can branch out. This is important for SPN because more than 50 percent of our audience is in India, and of the remainder there are those who prefer to read content in Punjabi. We can aim for posting poetry, essays, articles about art and architecture, editorial opinion, and more and more and more and more..... an exciting moment.

Thanks for letting me know Babandeep Singh ji !

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Just to give an idea of how hilarious translations can be when not corrected for word order and idiom differences of one language to the other.

It is winter now in Jerusalem and the landscape, heritage monuments, temples and walkways are covered with snow. This caption appeared under a photo of the Dome of the Rock and the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem.

ਯਰੂਸ਼ਲਮ ਵਿਖੇ ਬਰਫ਼ ਨਾਲ ਢਕੇ ਹੋਏ ਯਹੂਦੀਆਂ ਤੇ ਮੁਸਲਮਾਨਾਂ ਦੇ ਇਤਿਹਾਸਕ ਸਥਲ। (ਪੀਟੀਆਈ)

Google Translate gives this translation:

"Ice covered with Jews and Muslims in Jerusalem's historical stes."

So the ice is not covering things up. It is the Jews and Muslims who are covering up the ice. :) If the weather gets much worse in Jerusalem you won't be able to see the ice for all the Jews and Muslims.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: