• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Islam Was Guru Nanak A Muslim?

Jun 1, 2004
Somebody asked...

Sikhism perfectly straddles the line between Hinduism and Islam since the baptism of Nanak was by Kabir, the illiterate weaver saint who defied religious categorization (other than as a monist) all his life and even in his death.

Jun 1, 2004
I would like to quote from another forum... a reply by a learned member...

These arguments presenting Guru Nanak as a Muslim have been used by a sect of Muslims called the Ahmedis ( or Qadianis ) since the 1890's. The Ahmedis though they profess to not believe in violent Jihad believe in using falsehood to convert people to their religion. In Pakistan they have been declared non-Muslims and they are actively persecuted by both the govt and the Muslims of Pakistan. It is human to feel some sympathy for them as many have been killed or jailed for their belief that the final prophet was not mohammed but Mirza Ghulam Ahmed who founded their sect in the 1890's. But when you see and read all the blatant falsehood they write about Guru Nanak then we should have no sympathy with them for the persecution they face in Pakistan.

Mirza Ghulam Ahmed wrote a few books in which he claimed to be Christ, Mahdi, Messiah and Krishna in order to win as many people as possible to his sect. He also wrote a few books where he claimed that Guru Nanak was a Muslim. He claimed 20 years of 'research' of Gurbani but he makes the elementary mistake of attributing a verse of Kabirji to Guru Nanak. He also makes a great deal of the Chola of Guru Nanak at Dera Baba Nanak. Ahmedis have no qualms about lying in order to secure a conversion to their faith, but this is also a Muslim trait as evidenced by the writings they are bringing to show that the Koran contained the scientific facts of today over 1400 years ago.

The Ahmedi tactic on the internet is to approach people by hiding behind a facade of 'wanting to learn more about the persons faith', they will liberally use term such as ' I am interested/want to learn more..' etc. This is not their intention, they want to see how much a Sikh knows about his faith and decide whether it is possible to lure him/her into theirs. If the Sikh knows his religion well and is able to respond to their subtle attempts of downgrade Sikhism and talk up their faith then they will leave him alone. At the end of the day, they measure their success by conversions and not by how interesting the discussion was.

If the Sikh is not firm or knowledgable in his faith they then plant the seeds of doubt. Terms such as ' I have heard that Guru Nanak was a Muslim' or ' Guru Nanak believed in Islam' are introduced. A few years I had occasion to reply to a request for a Sikh who had been similarly approached. After he passed on my article to the Ahmedi, she soon disappeared.

From my discussions with the Ahmedis they appear very ignorant of the Guru Granth Sahib and confuse deliberately it with the Janamsakhis. In the Janamsakhis , Guru Nanak meets many Muslim holy men where they approach him by putting forward their view that Allah, Islam and Mohammed are the only ones worthy of following. Guru Nanak always gives them his answer which counters the Muslim holy men's view. The Ahmedis select the Muslim holy men's quotes at those of Guru Nanak. This is why you will get quotes from the Janamsakhis with page numbers which the Ahmedis list as proof of Guru Nanak being a Muslim.

Verma1

SPNer
Oct 9, 2011
Re: Was Guru Nanak a Muslim ?

Sasriakal,

I would just like to say please could you send this message out to all the Sikhs. It is so important to educate everyone that the clkaims these muslims make that Guru Nanak Ji was ase claims a to be abolished. They are false claims and like you said are used to try and convert people and also create rifts between Hindus and Sikhs. These are muslims who are trouble makers and stirrers, 2 faced and make completely FALSE and mindless claims based on teachings that WERE NOT Guru Nanak Dev Ji's.

I have had so many muslims trying to manipulate me and saying Guru Nanak Dev Ji was a muslim and because I am knowledgable in myReligion, I always tell them this is not true and never will be.

I urge you to spread this message and educate Sikhs about the tuth and Real Teachings by Guru Nanak Dev Ji. They were born into a Hindu Khatri family, Chant Ram in the Granth in Teachings actually really by Guru Nanak Himself, his mother and father have Hindu names, he marries a Hindu lady and his children were Hindu. And he never changed his name, one of the basic muslim requirements, so he was no way a muslim. These manipulative muslims have no knowledge about the Hindu and Sikh religion and need to be put straight.

Please put Guru Nnak's Teachings on here that show he was and never would be a muslim.

Thanks

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010

True source of pride for Sikhs to see Hindus and Muslims wanting to call Sikh Guru Nanak as their own. Guru Nanak ji loved all and conveyed his teachings without regard. The famous Bala and Mardana (Hindu and Muslim) duo who accompanied him are a testament to that.

Sat Sri Akal.

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK

In terms of the answer to the question in the thread title, I must confess I am not sure why it is relevant and how it changes the Scriptures....

Having declared there is no Hindu or Muslim, why would anyone think he was Muslim?

Perhaps I have missed something obvious and relevant......

hashir166

SPNer
Jan 10, 2012

Assalam-o-alaikum/Sat Sri Akal/Namaste/Hello

First of all I am an Ahmadi, Muslim. And would like it if at least the community of Sikh do not call us Qadianis as I am not from Qadian, we do not call Sikhs Rāi Bhōi dī Talwandī's or Nanakanas. And secondly we believe there's one God, but we believe as did every single man who brought there teachings, there have been changes in the teaching of Sikhism, as did of the Christians, as did of the Muslims, but Hadhrat Mirza Ghulam Ahmed revived them. Also we believe Baba Nanak Ji was a wise and justified man, but he went to Mecca. IT IS A LIE, to say that no Non-Muslim can enter Mecca. Hadhrat Mohammad said that we should all be kind and loving to our neighbour and as all of you must of known but Baba Nanak said so too.

Please try to keep your offense to minimum.

Shukria/Jazakallah/Dahnyivad

Wassalam:mundabhangra:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010

IT IS A LIE, to say that no Non-Muslim can enter Mecca. Hadhrat Mohammad said that we should all be kind and loving to our neighbour and as all of you must of known but Baba Guru Nanak said so too.
hashir166 thanks for your post.

Can you please clarify the following,

mecca.jpg

Some one on the Internet paraphrased it as follows,

" .... although the state of Saudi has opted for the opinion that disallows all non muslims" , kind of supporting what you say that Islam does not but Saudis have. So for all intents and purposes your statement has no practical significance as Saudi manage Mecca.

I wish all religious places were open to all with some respectful and basic rules of operation.

Thanks.

Last edited:

hashir166

SPNer
Jan 10, 2012

I clarify it upon the terms that in the 1500s also I believe and lots of Muslims believe that everyone should be allowed in Makkah!

This then supports our argument that Baba Nanak Ji was a Muslim. And Ek Onhar came from our belief of One God.

Searching

SPNer
Aug 8, 2011
This then supports our argument that Baba Nanak Ji was a Muslim. And Ek Onhar came from our belief of One God.

hashir166 ji
The concept of one God was not first given by Islam. Many religions like Christianity, Judaism, Zoroastrianism and even Sanatan dharma of Hinduism gave this concept much before Islam.

In fact going by your logic Mirza Ghulam was a Hindu as your concept of la ilaha il alla came from sanatan dharma.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

I clarify it upon the terms that in the 1500s also I believe and lots of Muslims believe that everyone should be allowed in Makkah!

Hashirji,

Your post supports the fact that non muslims were allowed into Makkah in the 1500's.

I am lost to see how this supports the argument that Guru Nanakji was a Muslim, if anything it supports the opposite argument, it clarifies that he was a non Muslim,

Look forward to your reply

best wishes

Hashir

SPNer
Feb 15, 2012
On the Congregational note of the following user hashir166, I'd like to support his argument and clarify that it is of the decision of the Political system of Saudi Arabia and not in anyway or form to support the argument that Muslims are to prevent Non-Muslims from entering the Holy City, in fact we invite you to the Land of the Holy.

Also, as hashir166 I think has misunderstood the topic and would like to clarify it!

At the time of Guru Nanak's death there were no Sikhs as known today. At his funeral only Muslims and Hindus were present and both demanded the body of Guru Nanak. Hindus wanted to burn it as they claimed that he was born into a Hindu family. Muslims wanted to bury the body because they claimed he had converted to Islam and hence should be buried in an Islamic fashion and an Islamic funeral prayer should be carried out. Today Muslims present this as one of the arguments in favour of the claim that Guru Nanak was a Muslim as Muslims do not offer the Islamic funeral prayer for anyone who is not a Muslim regardless of his worldly position.

The founder of the Ahmadiyya, Mirza Ghulam Ahmad, also wrote a book called Sat Bachan in the late 19th century in which he defended Guru Nanak against attacks by a prominent Hindu leader of the time. In his book, Mirza Ghulam Ahmad demonstrates that Guru Nanak was not a person of bad character as claimed by some Hindus at the time but was a very pious holy saint. Later in the book, attention is drawn to several belongings of Guru Nanak such as his chola (a long garment that Guru Nanak used to wear) which had Quranic verses written on it. Along with this historical fact the author presents several other arguments which attempt to show that Guru Nanak was a Muslim.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 28, 2010
At the very first place it is wrong to say that NANAK was baptised by KABIR ji

The question of NANAK being HINDu or MUSLIM has been very categorically answered by 5Th NANAK in a SABAD as

ਭੈਰਉ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥ ਵਰਤ ਨ ਰਹਉ ਨ ਮਹ ਰਮਦਾਨਾ ॥ ਤਿਸੁ ਸੇਵੀ ਜੋ ਰਖੈ ਨਿਦਾਨਾ ॥੧॥ ਏਕੁ ਗੁਸਾਈ ਅਲਹੁ ਮੇਰਾ ॥ ਹਿੰਦੂ ਤੁਰਕ ਦੁਹਾਂ ਨੇਬੇਰਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਹਜ ਕਾਬੈ ਜਾਉ ਨ ਤੀਰਥ ਪੂਜਾ ॥ ਏਕੋ ਸੇਵੀ ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਦੂਜਾ ॥੨॥ ਪੂਜਾ ਕਰਉ ਨ ਨਿਵਾਜ ਗੁਜਾਰਉ ॥ ਏਕ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ਲੇ ਰਿਦੈ ਨਮਸਕਾਰਉ ॥੩॥ ਨਾ ਹਮ ਹਿੰਦੂ ਨ ਮੁਸਲਮਾਨ ॥ ਅਲਹ ਰਾਮ ਕੇ ਪਿੰਡੁ ਪਰਾਨ ॥੪॥ ਕਹੁ ਕਬੀਰ ਇਹੁ ਕੀਆ ਵਖਾਨਾ ॥ ਗੁਰ ਪੀਰ ਮਿਲਿ ਖੁਦਿ ਖਸਮੁ ਪਛਾਨਾ ॥੫॥੩॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 1136}

So every Sikh should look at this Sabad for this answer.
Prakash.s.Bagga

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
with English translation:

ਭੈਰਉ ਮਹਲਾ
भैरउ महला ५ ॥
Bẖairo mėhlā 5.
Bhairao, Fifth Mehl:
ਵਰਤ ਰਹਉ ਮਹ ਰਮਦਾਨਾ
वरत न रहउ न मह रमदाना ॥
varaṯ na raha▫o na mah ramḏānā.
I do not keep fasts, nor do I observe the month of Ramadaan.
ਤਿਸੁ ਸੇਵੀ ਜੋ ਰਖੈ ਨਿਦਾਨਾ ॥੧॥
तिसु सेवी जो रखै निदाना ॥१॥
Ŧis sevī jo rakẖai niḏānā. ||1||
I serve only the One, who will protect me in the end. ||1||
ਏਕੁ ਗੁਸਾਈ ਅਲਹੁ ਮੇਰਾ
एकु गुसाई अलहु मेरा ॥
Ėk gusā▫ī alhu merā.
The One Lord, the Lord of the World, is my God Allah.
ਹਿੰਦੂ ਤੁਰਕ ਦੁਹਾਂ ਨੇਬੇਰਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
हिंदू तुरक दुहां नेबेरा ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Hinḏū ṯurak ḏuhāʼn neberā. ||1|| rahā▫o.
He administers justice to both Hindus and Muslims. ||1||Pause||
ਹਜ ਕਾਬੈ ਜਾਉ ਤੀਰਥ ਪੂਜਾ
हज काबै जाउ न तीरथ पूजा ॥
Haj kābai jā▫o na ṯirath pūjā.
I do not make pilgrimages to Mecca, nor do I worship at Hindu sacred shrines.
ਏਕੋ ਸੇਵੀ ਅਵਰੁ ਦੂਜਾ ॥੨॥
एको सेवी अवरु न दूजा ॥२॥
Ėko sevī avar na ḏūjā. ||2||
I serve the One Lord, and not any other. ||2||
ਪੂਜਾ ਕਰਉ ਨਿਵਾਜ ਗੁਜਾਰਉ
पूजा करउ न निवाज गुजारउ ॥
Pūjā kara▫o na nivāj gujāra▫o.
I do not perform Hindu worship services, nor do I offer the Muslim prayers.
ਏਕ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ਲੇ ਰਿਦੈ ਨਮਸਕਾਰਉ ॥੩॥
एक निरंकार ले रिदै नमसकारउ ॥३॥
Ėk nirankār le riḏai namaskāra▫o. ||3||
I have taken the One Formless Lord into my heart; I humbly worship Him there. ||3||
ਨਾ ਹਮ ਹਿੰਦੂ ਮੁਸਲਮਾਨ
ना हम हिंदू न मुसलमान ॥
Nā ham hinḏū na musalmān.
I am not a Hindu, nor am I a Muslim.
ਅਲਹ ਰਾਮ ਕੇ ਪਿੰਡੁ ਪਰਾਨ ॥੪॥
अलह राम के पिंडु परान ॥४॥
Alah rām ke pind parān. ||4||
My body and breath of life belong to Allah - to Raam - the God of both. ||4||
ਕਹੁ ਕਬੀਰ ਇਹੁ ਕੀਆ ਵਖਾਨਾ
कहु कबीर इहु कीआ वखाना ॥
Kaho Kabīr ih kī▫ā vakẖānā.
Says Kabeer, this is what I say:
ਗੁਰ ਪੀਰ ਮਿਲਿ ਖੁਦਿ ਖਸਮੁ ਪਛਾਨਾ ॥੫॥੩॥
गुर पीर मिलि खुदि खसमु पछाना ॥५॥३॥
Gur pīr mil kẖuḏ kẖasam pacẖẖānā. ||5||3||
meeting with the Guru, my Spiritual Teacher, I realize God, my Lord and Master. ||5||3||

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
On the Congregational note of the following user hashir166, I'd like to support his argument and clarify that it is of the decision of the Political system of Saudi Arabia and not in anyway or form to support the argument that Muslims are to prevent Non-Muslims from entering the Holy City, in fact we invite you to the Land of the Holy.

Also, as hashir166 I think has misunderstood the topic and would like to clarify it!

At the time of Guru Nanak's death there were no Sikhs as known today. At his funeral only Muslims and Hindus were present and both demanded the body of Guru Nanak. Hindus wanted to burn it as they claimed that he was born into a Hindu family. Muslims wanted to bury the body because they claimed he had converted to Islam and hence should be buried in an Islamic fashion and an Islamic funeral prayer should be carried out. Today Muslims present this as one of the arguments in favour of the claim that Guru Nanak was a Muslim as Muslims do not offer the Islamic funeral prayer for anyone who is not a Muslim regardless of his worldly position.

The founder of the Ahmadiyya, Mirza Ghulam Ahmad, also wrote a book called Sat Bachan in the late 19th century in which he defended Guru Nanak against attacks by a prominent Hindu leader of the time. In his book, Mirza Ghulam Ahmad demonstrates that Guru Nanak was not a person of bad character as claimed by some Hindus at the time but was a very pious holy saint. Later in the book, attention is drawn to several belongings of Guru Nanak such as his chola (a long garment that Guru Nanak used to wear) which had Quranic verses written on it. Along with this historical fact the author presents several other arguments which attempt to show that Guru Nanak was a Muslim.
Veer let us review the sabad in plain English if it helps.

ਭੈਰਉ ਮਹਲਾ
भैरउ महला ५ ॥
Bẖairo mėhlā 5.
Bhairao, Fifth Mehl:
ਭੈਰਉ ਪੰਜਵੀਂ ਪਾਤਿਸ਼ਾਹੀ।
xxx
xxx

ਵਰਤ ਰਹਉ ਮਹ ਰਮਦਾਨਾ
varaṯ na raha▫o na mah ramḏānā.
Neither doing fasting nor following Ramadaan.

ਤਿਸੁ ਸੇਵੀ ਜੋ ਰਖੈ ਨਿਦਾਨਾ ੧॥
Ŧis sevī jo rakẖai niḏānā. ||1||
Serving only that, which protects at the end.

ਏਕੁ ਗੁਸਾਈ ਅਲਹੁ ਮੇਰਾ
Ėk gusā▫ī alhu merā.
One creator purveyor is like Allah for me.

ਹਿੰਦੂ ਤੁਰਕ ਦੁਹਾਂ ਨੇਬੇਰਾ ੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
Hinḏū ṯurak ḏuhāʼn neberā. ||1|| rahā▫o.
Got rid of dealing with Hindus and Muslims.

ਹਜ ਕਾਬੈ ਜਾਉ ਤੀਰਥ ਪੂਜਾ
Haj kābai jā▫o na ṯirath pūjā.
Neither go to Kabbah for Haj or the sacred places to pray

ਏਕੋ ਸੇਵੀ ਅਵਰੁ ਦੂਜਾ ੨॥
Ėko sevī avar na ḏūjā. ||2||
Serving but one and no other second.

ਪੂਜਾ ਕਰਉ ਨਿਵਾਜ ਗੁਜਾਰਉ
Pūjā kara▫o na nivāj gujāra▫o.
Neither do ritualistic rites nor carry out Namaaj.

ਏਕ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ਲੇ ਰਿਦੈ ਨਮਸਕਾਰਉ ੩॥
Ėk nirankār le riḏai namaskāra▫o. ||3||
Salute in humility just one formless creator

ਨਾ ਹਮ ਹਿੰਦੂ ਮੁਸਲਮਾਨ
Nā ham hinḏū na musalmān.
Neither a Hindu nor a Muslim.

ਅਲਹ ਰਾਮ ਕੇ ਪਿੰਡੁ ਪਰਾਨ ੪॥
Alah rām ke pind parān. ||4||
My body and life of one that is called Allah Ram.

ਕਹੁ ਕਬੀਰ ਇਹੁ ਕੀਆ ਵਖਾਨਾ
Kaho Kabīr ih kī▫ā vakẖānā.
Kabir so describe in detail.

ਗੁਰ ਪੀਰ ਮਿਲਿ ਖੁਦਿ ਖਸਮੁ ਪਛਾਨਾ ੫॥੩॥
Gur pīr mil kẖuḏ kẖasam pacẖẖānā. ||5||3||
Meeting the creator by self understood the custodian.

ESSENCE: In this sabad in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, there is no doubt left as to the message. Both Hindus and Musalman are recognized to be around with their Ram and Allah respectively. But it is stated that there is only one that prevails.

Rituals of fasting like Varats (by Hidus) or in Ramadaan (by Muslims) are irerelevant. Doing Pujas (Hindu rituals) or doing Namaaj (Muslim practice) are irrelevant. Going to Kabaah or the places of pilgrimages associated with Hindus are of no consequence.

It is stated in detail to ensure for no doubt. One creator in heart, one to bow to all along and at the end.
What you got to also recognize how Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is a reflection of a single message with writings of many.

When Guru ji, including Gur Nanak Dev ji collected writings of Kabir ji, Sheikh Farid ji there was a reason. The reason was the message of Sikhism that was established. One creator everywhere and all ritualistic stuff was just that, rituals; all myths were just thay, myths; and so on.

The composition and selection of what was to be included was part of a consistent approach where all written by all was not the norm to make it part of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. What was supportive of or in line with all Guru jis understanding as to what were to be the roots of Sikhism was so chosen and chosen with great diligence.

So in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji one represent all and all represent one as the core thought is one among all.

In the sabad quoted, there is absolutely cannot be any doubt what Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji represents as a reflection and roots of Sikhism. Now I don't want to repeat the language of the sabad, rather direct and to the point and mainly addressed to Hinduism and Islam as follows,

• Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji does not support Hinduism in any form
  • Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji does not support Islam in any form
It is not telling Hindus to believe in Sikhism or Muslims to become Sikhs. It simply states a clear message of "One Creator" unreservedly above all and the only one and without any names in Sikhism.

So if in spite of all the above, Hindus or Muslims believe that Sikhism offers them something while they stay as Hindus or Muslims, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji more than welcomes people to learn. Sikhism is understanding and learning based religion and is so focused.

As a side note the Punjab of the times was a wonderful place of intellectual discourse specially by the Muslim Sufi learned men. At times their thoughts are very close to some of the thoughts in Sikhism. But such Sufi folks were considered by Islam then and to this day as renegades. The equivalent of the Sufi Muslims in Punjab was the Hindu by birth Guru ji who did a specific and detailed revolt and so spoke up to show the pitiable state of the institution of Hinduism and their rituals and beliefs of the times.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
May someone address the fact of the Chola of Nanak Ji?! Why on Earth, would he have Qura'an verses on there?!
Hashir ji we Sikhs and our Guru ji were least bit picky about material things. Why would Guru Nanak Dev ji have issues with wearing a chola with any inscriptions. He met very many Muslims and many loved him. If chola showed his love back why should it matter. Why are you hung up on a piece of cloth versus what the people and Guru ji believed in? It is like trying to find straws to make a doll.

Guru ji were much above such material garbage arguments even though he protested wearing a Janeau that Hindus baptize a kid with. He protested first against Hinduism and then shared wisdom that addressed the failings of the rest who were straight jacketed in dogmas, made into sheep to follow, etc.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Nothing new at all...the "Religous police/Islamic affairs dept" in my country are always after Muslims wearing hard rock t sirts, t-shirts deemed satanic..rock music..christian cross etc etc....we even REPRINTED an entire lot of Currency notes just becasue there happened to be a Flag pole that at its Top had a Horizontal short stick for hanging additional flags hanging downwards...soem saw that as a CROSS...and of course a muslim country cannot ahve a cross on its currency..so that batch of notes had to go...
Muslims may be hung up on what to wear and what not..SIKHS are not. period.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: