• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Ultimate Comfort Food - Vegan Veggie Pot Pie

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/vegetable-pot-pies/

This is comfort food of the first order. Sometimes nothing but a pot pie will suffice. This is not an original recipe, but it's too good not to share. I have my own suggestions under the recipe...

Dough
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup whole-wheat flour
¼ tsp. salt
4 Tbs. cold soy margarine, cut into pieces

Filling
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 medium leek, white and green parts chopped (1 ½ cups)
1 ½ cups chopped celery or fennel
2 large carrots, diced (1 cup)
8 oz. button mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
4 oz. red-skinned potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes (1 ½ cups)
2 ¼ cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 tsp. poultry seasoning
2 Tbs. creamy cashew butter, optional
6 asparagus spears, cut into 1-inch pieces
½ cup fresh or thawed frozen peas
½ cup fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels

1. To make Dough: Whisk together flours and salt in bowl. Cut or rub margarine into flour mixture until no large pieces remain. Stir in 3 to 4 Tbs. cold water until smooth dough forms. Wrap in plastic wrap, and chill while making Filling.

2. To make Filling: Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add leek, celery, carrots, and mushrooms; sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until tender. Stir in flour 
and garlic, and cook 1 minute. Add potatoes, broth, and poultry seasoning. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in cashew butter (if using), and 
cook 1 minute more. Remove from heat, and stir in asparagus, peas, and corn.

3. Preheat oven to 400°F. Roll out Dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 8 4-inch rounds.

4. Divide Filling among 8 1-cup ramekins. Place dough rounds on top, pressing dough around sides of ramekins with fork to crimp and seal. Poke hole in top of each pot pie. Place pot pies on baking sheet, and bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until tops are golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

This recipe only has a top crust. If you want both a bottom and top crust, double the dough recipe and divide into 16 rounds instead of 8.

I use 100% whole wheat instead of mostly white flour. It adds both taste and nutrition.

Also, I use unsalted butter instead of margarine. I don't like margarine, but using butter, of course, makes it non-vegan.

-------

No poultry seasoning handy? You can toss in some Italian herbs, fresh or dried, and, of course, either cayenne or fresh chilies, if you like a bit of a bite to it. .

Chopping onions and then caramelising them also adds a sort of meaty taste to the pie.

Potatoes should not be pealed, especially the red ones. Their skin is thin and tasty. Pealing removes both nutrients and flavour. It is also extra work.

Feel free to vary the vegetables according to your own preferences. Just be sure to cut the pieces of hard veggies into fairly small pieces, so they cook through. Pot pie veggies need to be a bit soft, none of this tender-crisp stuff. Save that for stir fries.

Sometimes, I just use frozen mixed veggies and mushrooms (I love mushrooms) and diced potatoes in a white sauce or vegetarian gravy for a filling. It's fast and easy.

If 8 pies seems a bit too much, you can easily half this recipe, or make all 8 and freeze some of them.

Attachments

• veggie pot pie.jpg
    veggie pot pie.jpg
    43 KB · Reads: 564

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/vegetable-pot-pies/

This is comfort food of the first order. Sometimes nothing but a pot pie will suffice. This is not an original recipe, but it's too good not to share. I have my own suggestions under the recipe...

And three more suggestions.
1. To make it much easier, use frozen mixed veggies without sauce, thawed, of any variety you choose, instead of fresh veggies. I am not a fan of canned veggies, but you can use them, too, well drained and rinsed. Just be sure to adjust the amount of salt.
2. To make it easier still, use veggies in sauce - you may need to moisten them a bit with a liquid of your choice - use some leftover vegan gravy or sauce (I suggest my vegan mushroom gravy, of course), add the veggies to that, put in the crust and bake.
3. Easiest of all. Use suggestions 1 and2, then use a premade pie crust from your grocery store's frozen section.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: