• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

UK UK Sikh Biker Group ‘Humbled’ To Be On Lee Rigby Memorial Ride To Woolwich Barracks In Ilford

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
By <A title="Posts by a href='#author'Harry Kemble, Ilford Recorder/a" href="http://www.sikh24.com/author/s24uk/" rel=author>Harry Kemble, Ilford Recorder / In Europe, WORLD / May 23, 2014

ILFORD, UK (May 23, 2014)—A Sikh motorcycle group has ridden in memory of Lee Rigby from Greenwich Park to Woolwich, where the fusilier was stationed, on Thursday.

Fusilier Lee Rigby was murdered in Woolwich. MoD/PA

The Khalsa Bikers, based in Ilford, joined nearly 3,000 riders in making the near four mile journey to Woolwich Artillery Barracks.

Sikh Jassi Seera, 32, of The Drive, Ilford, was one of 25 Khalsa Bikers to be asked to join the ride, made up mainly of military personnel.

He said: “We were very humbled the organizers asked us to be involved. It is important to raise awareness about the need to show unity within communities and to show respect to Lee Rigby.”

Roads were closed down by police to allow riders to drive together towards their final destination.

The Mayor of London Boris Johnson has backed calls for a memorial in Woolwich to honor the murdered soldier.

And Mr Seera agreed Fusilier Rigby’s death should be remembered in some way in the future.

He said: “Not only to mark his death that plays an important part, of course, but there must be a memorial where people from different backgrounds, whatever race you are, to remember we are all British citizens and we need to stand together. It is important to send a message to terrorists.”

Mr Seera added the Khalsa Bikers were proud to be recognized by organizers alongside servicemen.

Although not an ex-servicemen himself, Mr Seera said it is important to remember Sikh armed forces played in both world wars.

“It was the fact they gave us a chance to be with the other military groups. The other riders gave us so much respect. They were really pleased for us to be on board.”

Tags: Khalsa Bikers, Lee Rigby Memorial
Originally published by ilfordrecorder.co.uk

Attachments

• sikhbikers.jpg
    sikhbikers.jpg
    38.1 KB · Reads: 364

Sherdil

Writer
SPNer
Jan 19, 2014
Hey just out of curiosity, does anyone on here have a bike? The weather has finally warmed up in my neck of the woods and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in going for a ride. I'm in the NE, so if anyone's interested send me a pm. We could work out the details if we live near each other. If there are enough of us, maybe we could form Sikh motorcycle club or something. There are plenty of scenic back roads around my local gurdwara. It's near the water too. Maybe a meet-up every Sunday could be arranged, if people aren't busy. Just throwing ideas out there. I would love to meet more Sikh bikers. I only know of 2 other people.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
I am! But I'm also a bit far away haha.

It would be cool if you get a group together! Keep us posted. Remember to meet up in public places (like a Gurdwara carpark perhaps) and don't share your personal address or contact details.

Do Sighs have to wear helmets in America, Ji?

Sherdil

Writer
SPNer
Jan 19, 2014
I am! But I'm also a bit far away haha.

It would be cool if you get a group together! Keep us posted. Remember to meet up in public places (like a Gurdwara carpark perhaps) and don't share your personal address or contact details.

Do Sighs have to wear helmets in America, Ji?

In my state we do. There are various methods we invented to put the helmet on over the joorah. It would be better if we could wear dastaar though. Then we could ride in the Sikh day parade and such.

Sherdil

Writer
SPNer
Jan 19, 2014
Great effort by Khalsa Bikers! They've definitely found a niche that promotes a great image for Sikh's Worldwide.

I'm looking to buy my first motorbike soon, can't wait! :mundabhangra:

Which one you looking to get? I recommend the 250cc class. They're good for beginners and fun to flick around the twisty roads.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
250cc is good, especially if you get a light bike, because they're gutsy enough for beginners and easier to catch if you start to go sideways a bit while you're stopped. Also easier to learn the trick to getting bikes on centre stands. :D

Also, I'm sure you already know this, but it's likely that the UK has restrictions on what capacity bikes riders on Leaner or Restricted permits may ride.

A tip for finding a bike that might be a good match for you is to sit on it and see if your heels touch the ground. This might not be relevant for you but me being 5'4 I have to be careful!

My first (and only) bike was a 1982 Yamaha SR250, like this: http://www.needfortire.com/images/yamaha-sr-250-se_key_0.jpg 250cc's in a single cylinder it was light and zippy (for me, anyway, but I'm not really that big a person, it might be different for a big burly Singh! haha)

I'm so excited for you! Oh, I want to go and buy a bike now, too! :cheerleaders:

Jul 18, 2007
London
Thanks Sherdil/Ishna.

I did a full unrestricted licence (had to use a 600cc bike), in a matter of a few weeks with minimal riding experience previously so you can imagine I had to pick things up quickly (the bike a few times lol)!

But agree I think I need to start off with a 250cc bike to get familiar with riding. I do like the look of the Kawasaki's, the one I was looking at was ER650N but probably go for that later.
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/bikereviews/searchresults/bike-reviews/kawasaki/kawasaki-er-6n-2009-current/

Any suggestions on good 250cc's would be great.

Ishna, the Yama looks fun to ride.

P.s. not burley (working on it lol) but around 5'9 so most bike heights should be ok.

Sherdil

Writer
SPNer
Jan 19, 2014
Thanks Sherdil/Ishna.

I did a full unrestricted licence (had to use a 600cc bike), in a matter of a few weeks with minimal riding experience previously so you can imagine I had to pick things up quickly (the bike a few times lol)!

But agree I think I need to start off with a 250cc bike to get familiar with riding. I do like the look of the Kawasaki's, the one I was looking at was ER650N but probably go for that later.
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/b...reviews/kawasaki/kawasaki-er-6n-2009-current/

Any suggestions on good 250cc's would be great.

Ishna, the Yama looks fun to ride.

P.s. not burley (working on it lol) but around 5'9 so most bike heights should be ok.

I recommend the Kawasaki Ninja 250r if you're looking for a sport bike. It's the best one in its class, in my opinion. It should be easy to pick up a used one, as this is a popular choice amongst many beginner riders. It has a low seat height too, which is also great for beginners.

850148d1322673096-2010-kawasaki-ninja-250r-my-first-sportsbike-ninja12.jpg

They came out with a 300cc for 2014
1.png

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I think these guys are magnificent, being somewhat older than the rest of you, and having just applied for my CBT, my dream bike is a very mundane 1999 Honda Pan european

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
back to age 26, I was then, a fully keshdhari sardar, and a keen biker. I loved the freedom of not needing a crash helmet, although I got used to fellow bikers shaking their heads at the lack of protection a Pugh was going to offer.

A few days earlier, on one of the main roads into where I lived at the time, police had removed a rope strung across the road designed to catch an unwary biker, and it had been widely reported in the local press. Riding home that afternoon, the sunny day was suddenly replaced by very hard very fast rain. I hated rain, like my father, I starched my turban, but the trouble was, in the water, it had a tendency to turn into a soggy floury mess.

The rain was getting harder, so I accelerated past a slow moving car in an effort to get home, when suddenly, as I got back into lane, my cherry red turban parted company with my head, and smashed into the windscreen of the car behind. Of course the dye ran, and stopping and walking towards the car, I noticed the windscreen was covered with red dye, with a red floury soggy mess in the middle,. The elderly occupants, on seeing a pair of legs walking towards them through the haze of cherry red dye, locked the doors and started making the sign of the cross. I could not do much else other than scrape what was left of the turban off the screen, place it on my head, (to be legal), and drive off. I would like to have seen the police report on that one....

Sherdil

Writer
SPNer
Jan 19, 2014
I'm 26 right now. You also joined this forum on my birthday, Harry ji. You have a knack for writing. You should consider turning your memoirs into a book. I don't have any exciting stories to share like that, but I agree with the sense of freedom riding a bike gives you. Also, the comradery you feel with other bikers is great. In America we have something equivalent to the "Singh nod" for bikers. It's a downward salute facing the biker you are passing. Everyone does it, no matter what you are riding. It's almost rude if you don't.

Having a bike is also a great conversation starter. Once I pulled up to a red light next to an elderly gentleman who looked kinda like Willie Nelson. He was riding a vintage 1970's Harley Davidson cruiser. We got to talking about each other's bikes, and we didn't realize the light had turned green. At the incessant honking of the cars behind us, we dropped our bikes into first gear and took off. I remember the way he nodded, tipped his bowl helmet and simply said "C'ya" before leaving me in the dust. The rumble from the Harley's exhaust pipes added to the hot summer breeze. Small stuff like that sticks out in my mind.

It's so cool that we have our own little biker crew here on SPN :mundahug:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I'm 26 right now. You also joined this forum on my birthday, Harry ji. You have a knack for writing. You should consider turning your memoirs into a book. I don't have any exciting stories to share like that, but I agree with the sense of freedom riding a bike gives you. Also, the comradery you feel with other bikers is great. In America we have something equivalent to the "Singh nod" for bikers. It's a downward salute facing the biker you are passing. Everyone does it, no matter what you are riding. It's almost rude if you don't.

Having a bike is also a great conversation starter. Once I pulled up to a red light next to an elderly gentleman who looked kinda like Willie Nelson. He was riding a vintage 1970's Harley Davidson cruiser. We got to talking about each other's bikes, and we didn't realize the light had turned green. At the incessant honking of the cars behind us, we dropped our bikes into first gear and took off. I remember the way he nodded, tipped his bowl helmet and simply said "C'ya" before leaving me in the dust. The rumble from the Harley's exhaust pipes added to the hot summer breeze. Small stuff like that sticks out in my mind.

It's so cool that we have our own little biker crew here on SPN :mundahug:

thank you ji for your very kind comments, here in the UK we also nod at each other, I remember once nodding at a biker and wondering why he did not nod back, and realised I was driving my car, my turban was no bar to the nodding, I seemed a biker first and a turbaned person second

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: