Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

1.   Become a Supporter    ::   Make a Contribution   
    Target (Recurring Monthly): $200 :: Achieved: $98

Leisure Turban tying...

Discussion in 'Business, Lifestyle & Leisure' started by Harkiran Kaur, Mar 11, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Harkiran Kaur

Harkiran Kaur India
    Expand Collapse

Leader

Writer SPNer Contributor

I am only posting two pics for the purpose of opinions on if I am finally getting the hang of this... I can't seem to make a V no matter how hard I try... It starts out as one, but ends up with the point more towards one side than the other, or one side of the V is looser than the other... so plain old gol easter seems easiest... This attempt started out with a V believe it or not... but it disappeared as I got towards the end :( but do I at least have the basics down??

I have not practiced in awhile because I had wrist surgery and I could not manipulate my hand normally... even now I don't have 100% range of motion...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Sikh News Turban Tying Event Creates Buzz At University Of Alberta - CBC.ca Breaking News Sep 28, 2016
    UK Reading Sikhs Teach Mp A Lesson In Tying A Turban Breaking News Mar 10, 2015
    Sikhism Singh Saba of New Jersey Turban Tying Contest Videos Feb 13, 2011
    Faiths Come Together Over a Turban-Tying Demonstration Interfaith Dialogues Dec 5, 2010
    India Pride of Tying Turbans: Crowns for the Commoner Breaking News Aug 3, 2010

3. aristotle

aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

Bravo Akasha Ji....the keski has a nice shape and contour. If you are aiming towards a V-shape that is fine, but I don't think that is necessary, a truncated V (a V obliterated by a fold on the vertex) or even the present one will do good. Moreover, down the line you'll improve on the intricacies.

And praying for your health. :motherlylove:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Sherdil

Sherdil
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Looking sharp! :peacesign:

5. linzer

linzer Mexico
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

Looking good!

I can manage to get a V but my pleats never come out crisp. Any Advise?

• Like Like x 1
  6. aristotle

aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

Which cloth material do you use?

7. Harkiran Kaur

Harkiran Kaur India
    Expand Collapse

Leader

Writer SPNer Contributor

Myself above I was using mul mul about 6M total... It seems light enough that it's easy to form fit as you make the turns... I just have trouble with making a V... And I think it would look good with a V.... :(

• Like Like x 1
  8. aristotle

aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

If you think Mulmul is messy you could try Full Voile once, also a shorter length could suffice with Full Voile.

9. linzer

linzer Mexico
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

I pretty sure it's voile.

• Like Like x 1
  10. aristotle

aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

@Linzer Ji,
    I personally use Full Voile for turban and Mulmul for the Keski. I guess it has a lot to do with personal preferences.

• Like Like x 1
  11. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

akasha ij

Just keep looking for the right UTube video and there will be one that makes you say - Ah Hah. There is one I saw long ago

I think most vids of women don't teach the V turn. It would need to be a male oriented video.

12. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Is that because the V style is considered to be a "male" style and the rounder ones more "female"? (although I've seen plenty of women with V style and plenty of men with round style...)

13. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

I have no idea why.

• Like Like x 1
  14. linzer

linzer Mexico
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

What about my pleats? :winkingsingh:

15. Harkiran Kaur

Harkiran Kaur India
    Expand Collapse

Leader

Writer SPNer Contributor

Oh I forgot to mention, I kind of came up with a way that was easier for me to work with the material... at least for now. Though it was a 6M piece of cloth, I cut it into 3 widths of 6M length each. I used one for keskie and one for the turban over it. So in reality, I am using only 4M worth of cloth as I didn't use the centre piece when I cut it into 3.

I tried cutting into 2 widths before as is normally done for dumalla style... but I found that since I have a small head, the turns where I had to go over top, there was WAY too much material at the back to deal with... So I needed thinner pieces for my smaller head, hence using 1/3 width instead of the usual 1/2 width.... if any of that make sense haha

So I am using the same amount of material that normally would be included in 4M of turban material. Just that mine is cut in longer thinner strips.

Style I used is basically the same as dumalla at least how I started... kind of a cross between gol dastar and dumalla style. I did start with a bunga since my hair is very thick and falls out of a joora easily, I use the material to make a bunga and keep it snug (it also gives a bit more volume on top to work with though I didn't go tall with it) So the pics above are a combo of two different styles and with the width of the material altered to fit my head better....

I am sure I won't have to do that as I get better though.... I am just amazed I could get something on there that didn't fall off from being too loose and at least the general style 'looks' like a turban lol In fact I *think* it looked ok enough to actually go in public with....maybe....

• Like Like x 1
Since you're here... we have a small favor to ask...

More people are visiting & reading SPN than ever but far fewer are paying to sustain it. Advertising revenues across the online media have fallen fast. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. Donating to SPN's is vote for free speech, for diversity of opinions, for the right of the people to stand up to religious bigotry. Without any affiliation to any organization, this constant struggle takes a lot of hard work to sustain as we entirely depend on the contributions of our esteemed writers/readers. We do it because we believe our perspective matters – because it might well be your perspective, too... Fund our efforts and together we can keep the world informed about the real Sikh Sikhi Sikhism. If everyone who writes or reads our content, who likes it, helps us to pay for it, our future would be much more secure. Every Contribution Matters, Contribute Generously!

Become a Supporter      ::     Make a Contribution