Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Leisure Turban tying...

Discussion in 'Business, Lifestyle & Leisure' started by Harkiran Kaur, Mar 11, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Harkiran Kaur

Harkiran Kaur Canada
    Expand Collapse

Leader

Writer SPNer Contributor

I am only posting two pics for the purpose of opinions on if I am finally getting the hang of this... I can't seem to make a V no matter how hard I try... It starts out as one, but ends up with the point more towards one side than the other, or one side of the V is looser than the other... so plain old gol easter seems easiest... This attempt started out with a V believe it or not... but it disappeared as I got towards the end :( but do I at least have the basics down??

I have not practiced in awhile because I had wrist surgery and I could not manipulate my hand normally... even now I don't have 100% range of motion...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Sikh News Turban Tying Event Creates Buzz At University Of Alberta - CBC.ca Breaking News Sep 28, 2016
    UK Reading Sikhs Teach Mp A Lesson In Tying A Turban Breaking News Mar 10, 2015
    Sikhism Singh Saba of New Jersey Turban Tying Contest Videos Feb 13, 2011
    Faiths Come Together Over a Turban-Tying Demonstration Interfaith Dialogues Dec 5, 2010
    India Pride of Tying Turbans: Crowns for the Commoner Breaking News Aug 3, 2010

3. aristotle

aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

Bravo Akasha Ji....the keski has a nice shape and contour. If you are aiming towards a V-shape that is fine, but I don't think that is necessary, a truncated V (a V obliterated by a fold on the vertex) or even the present one will do good. Moreover, down the line you'll improve on the intricacies.

And praying for your health. :motherlylove:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Sherdil

Sherdil
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Looking sharp! :peacesign:

5. linzer

linzer Mexico
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

Looking good!

I can manage to get a V but my pleats never come out crisp. Any Advise?

• Like Like x 1
  6. aristotle

aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

Which cloth material do you use?

7. Harkiran Kaur

Harkiran Kaur Canada
    Expand Collapse

Leader

Writer SPNer Contributor

Myself above I was using mul mul about 6M total... It seems light enough that it's easy to form fit as you make the turns... I just have trouble with making a V... And I think it would look good with a V.... :(

• Like Like x 1
  8. aristotle

aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

If you think Mulmul is messy you could try Full Voile once, also a shorter length could suffice with Full Voile.

9. linzer

linzer Mexico
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

I pretty sure it's voile.

• Like Like x 1
  10. aristotle

aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

@Linzer Ji,
    I personally use Full Voile for turban and Mulmul for the Keski. I guess it has a lot to do with personal preferences.

• Like Like x 1
  11. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

akasha ij

Just keep looking for the right UTube video and there will be one that makes you say - Ah Hah. There is one I saw long ago

I think most vids of women don't teach the V turn. It would need to be a male oriented video.

12. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Is that because the V style is considered to be a "male" style and the rounder ones more "female"? (although I've seen plenty of women with V style and plenty of men with round style...)

13. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

I have no idea why.

• Like Like x 1
  14. linzer

linzer Mexico
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

What about my pleats? :winkingsingh:

15. Harkiran Kaur

Harkiran Kaur Canada
    Expand Collapse

Leader

Writer SPNer Contributor

Oh I forgot to mention, I kind of came up with a way that was easier for me to work with the material... at least for now. Though it was a 6M piece of cloth, I cut it into 3 widths of 6M length each. I used one for keskie and one for the turban over it. So in reality, I am using only 4M worth of cloth as I didn't use the centre piece when I cut it into 3.

I tried cutting into 2 widths before as is normally done for dumalla style... but I found that since I have a small head, the turns where I had to go over top, there was WAY too much material at the back to deal with... So I needed thinner pieces for my smaller head, hence using 1/3 width instead of the usual 1/2 width.... if any of that make sense haha

So I am using the same amount of material that normally would be included in 4M of turban material. Just that mine is cut in longer thinner strips.

Style I used is basically the same as dumalla at least how I started... kind of a cross between gol dastar and dumalla style. I did start with a bunga since my hair is very thick and falls out of a joora easily, I use the material to make a bunga and keep it snug (it also gives a bit more volume on top to work with though I didn't go tall with it) So the pics above are a combo of two different styles and with the width of the material altered to fit my head better....

I am sure I won't have to do that as I get better though.... I am just amazed I could get something on there that didn't fall off from being too loose and at least the general style 'looks' like a turban lol In fact I *think* it looked ok enough to actually go in public with....maybe....

• Like Like x 1