• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Turban Cloth

TigerStyleZ

SPNer
Mar 30, 2011
Germany
Does anyone know the difference between, full voile / half voile, mal mal and rubia and other turban clothes. Are there any differences? I am quite not sure. I want to tie a dhumalla regualry, so which material you will recommend, and which material you will recommend for pagh?

It would be great if someone with knowledge would make a list.

BaljinderS

SPNer
Dec 29, 2011
Hello Dear,
my name is Miss Blessing.i was in this site looking for a nice person and saw your profile now and I became interesting to know if we can be friend and also know each other better.i promise to send my photo to U as soon as U reply back to me,thanks am waiting (blessinganada@yahoo.com)
Blessing.

is this for me??? I didn't know this was a dating site...?

hahhaaa..lol... is this a joke...lol.. I am extremly happily married.. too late 0:)

Sorry .. "blessin-ganada"

PS: Jarnail Singh veer ji, do you think this is funny? I do too. :) ..lol ..good one.. lol :singhbhangra:cheerleader

Last edited:

TigerStyleZ

SPNer
Mar 30, 2011
Germany
So its up to individual choice? Mhh, I am quite confused now, Baljeet ji is saying opposite of Kanwaljit ji , lol. Is mal mal thinner than voil, or is it just more elastic? Some one help, please ! I am tying my turban with a very thick cloth like old uncles do, but I am not happy with this ^^

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I think Malmal is the cloth Parnas (given as Saropas in Gurudwara) are made up of. They are probably the thinner ones. Voil is the thin cloth for Patiala style turbans. At any shop you can ask for all 3 and check out for yourself. You can also ask the shop owner to give you the softer one.

BaljinderS

SPNer
Dec 29, 2011
So its up to individual choice? Mhh, I am quite confused now, Baljeet ji is saying opposite of Kanwaljit ji , lol. Is mal mal thinner than voil, or is it just more elastic? Some one help, please ! I am tying my turban with a very thick cloth like old uncles do, but I am not happy with this ^^

As Kanwaljit veer ji says, it will give you a much better idea when you see it for yourself...
Let us know which one you chose :sippingcoffeemunda:

TigerStyleZ

SPNer
Mar 30, 2011
Germany
Thanks you both, but I think thats the problem! Here is no local Sikh shop :S That´s why i asked the question. I ordered some Turans via sardarpagrihouse, hope they will come soon. Then I can make a decision myself.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Yes, you are right but I don´t have the possibilities here. I am looking forward :)
Tigerstlez ji don't worry. Ambarsaria's are generally good people unless you are shopping in "Jhootha Bazaar/False Mall" in Amritsar versus "Hall Bazaar/Main MAll". I believe your stuff is coming from Hall Bazaar.

Leave feedback on your experience. It possibly will also help others.

Sat Sri Akal.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
A bit late but for future reference we also offer Dastaars at www.SikhiStore.com.

And basic difference between the different fabrics is that Rubia has dense weaving, Full Voile has light weaving and Mal- Mal has very fine and very light weaving.
SikhiStore veer ji it does not cost much to support SPN and have your banner at the top just like JSKS from India. May be you should consider it.

Thanks for your helpful post and welcome to spn.

Sat Sri Akal.

TigerStyleZ

SPNer
Mar 30, 2011
Germany
Wow nice, a european shop. Damn.. you posted it too late.. But next time I will know whom I will contact, thanks for sharing.

PS. I hope it isnt that expensive like other shops^^ Should be a "european" price, but I will take a look :)

Jan 9, 2012
I bought two turban cloths on line from Pagrihouse. Both were rubia, and I now have one in voile as well (a gift from a dear friend). I was very happy with the quality of the merchandise and the friendly service. As for the duty charges I had to pay ... that's another story!

Now, if I could only find someone to teach me how to do a good point-to-point puni, which is the essential first skill to learn if you want your dastaar to come out right. I've seen a couple of Youtube videos, but none really does the job.

Any volunteers out there?

TigerStyleZ

SPNer
Mar 30, 2011
Germany
Awakeaned Singh, thanks or your post. Mhh, you know that Rubia is more dificulte to tie? I don´t think you have watched whole Youtube videos, there are many that show how you can tie puni as well. I wish I could help but I am not that good in tying Paghs. Another Question does anyone know how to tie this Impressive Dhumalla from Sukhdev Singh Babbar? Tutorial and lenght of Material (kapra ) or Something would be very helpful!

Last edited:

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Sat sri akaal

I know we are discussing turban cloth here.

I need some recommendation on sites available that give detailed information on How to tie different styles of turban along with what lengths/material are required.

Sat Kartar
Lucky Singh

saruplanda

SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
UK manchester
rubia is bit thicker woven, mal mal is the thinner version, rubia is best to pagh, for dhumala you should use rubia0:)
if your pagh is like indian style the 2 pagh's of mal mal are sewen toghther to make on pagri????:redturban::happysingh::blueturban:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: