Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

True depiction of `Sewa'

Discussion in 'Sikh Sikhi Sikhism' started by Sikh News Reporter, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Sikh News Reporter

Sikh News Reporter United States
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor Supporter

By Savinder Singh Amritsar, July 28 (ANI): `Sewa' or selfless service in Sikhism is imperative for spiritual growth. It is the highest form of penance - a means of acquiring the highest merit. At Sri Harmandir Sahib, the holiest shrine of Sikh and popularly known as the Golden Temple, one gets a true depiction of `selfless service' where people offer their service and wealth. The ...

More...

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Controversial Satikaar of SGGS in true and real terms - HS Dilgeer Hard Talk May 26, 2014
    Slow metabolism 'obesity excuse' true Health & Nutrition Oct 26, 2013
    SciTech Strange Blue World: Alien Planet's True Color Revealed, a First Breaking News Jul 12, 2013
    USA The True American Spirit And Its Values Breaking News May 30, 2013
    'Proud to be a Sikh' based on True Life Incidents Sikh Youth Feb 12, 2013

3. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Re: True depiction of `Sewa' at Sri Harmandir Sahib (ANI via Yahoo! India News)

How do other members think of the idea that seva is a form of penance. The article starts with this statement:

`Sewa' or selfless service in Sikhism is imperative for spiritual growth. It is the highest form of penance - a means of acquiring the highest merit.

Can penance and seva be equivalent? The origin of the word penance is

ORIGIN Middle English : from Old French, from Latin paenitentia ‘repentance,’ from the verb paenitere ‘be sorry.’
    (Oxford American Dictionary)

I think of penance as a way to show that we are truly remorseful for sin and wish to compensate spiritually for sins we have committed. I think of seva as something positive -- a way to progress beyond the place where we are at present. Is seva a blessing and a gift given by God, or is it a self-imposed punishment?

Am I understanding seva incorrectly?

4. kaur-1

kaur-1
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

Re: True depiction of `Sewa' at Sri Harmandir Sahib (ANI via Yahoo! India News)

Good point bhenji. In my opinion the word "penance" is incorrectly used here.