• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Trouble Between Religions

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
There is a Prakrit quotation on religion vattu sahavo dhammo. It means, dharma is the nature of all beings or substances. The dharma of water is to flow. If you stop its flow, you would face resistance. The dharma of fire is to burn and so on. The dharma of atma is to see and know. A true religion is one which dfacilitates the full expression of all beings in harmony.
Stated in simple terms, ahimsa is the best religion though difficult to practice. No religion of today is perfect and for that matter even in the past. The art of perfection lies in the domain of the individual but not in group or society.

Respected Dev Ji,

if ahimsa is the best religion, think about what you breathe eat and drink- includes all living mater, isn't it.......

And perfection always comes with God's grace only.

forgive me please

SSMDCX

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
Ik Oankaar Sat Naam Satgur Parsaad
Dhan Dhan Paar Braham Parmesar
Guru Pyare Jee

Dandaut Parvaan Karna Ji Shukrana Parvaan Karna Ji

Isn't Only God Is Perfect. Everything Else Is Maya. Perfection Is Beyond Maya.

It Takes Bandgi Of Many Many Janams To Get The Gur Parsaad But It Takes Only A Moment To Loose Everything - Only Illusions Remain - As Whatever We See And Hear Under The Influence Of Maya Is Not True And Destroys Everything In A Moment - For Seeing And Hearing The Divine Truth, Which Is Beyond Maya Trihu Gun Tey Parey, You Have To Reach Beyond Maya Until Then Negative Criticism (nindya) Under The Influence Of Maya Kills Everything.

Dassan Dass

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
Ik Oankaar Sat Naam Satgur Parsaad
Dhan Dhan Paar Braham Parmesar
Guru Pyare Jee

Dandaut Parvaan Karna Ji Shukrana Parvaan Karna Ji

Isn't Only God Is Perfect. Everything Else Is Maya. Perfection Is Beyond Maya.

It Takes Bandgi Of Many Many Janams To Get The Gur Parsaad But It Takes Only A Moment To Loose Everything - Only Illusions Remain - As Whatever We See And Hear Under The Influence Of Maya Is Not True And Destroys Everything In A Moment - For Seeing And Hearing The Divine Truth, Which Is Beyond Maya Trihu Gun Tey Parey, You Have To Reach Beyond Maya Until Then Negative Criticism (nindya) Under The Influence Of Maya Kills Everything.

Dassan Dass

You are in Afghanistan, tell the Sadh Sangat how is it for a Sikh to survive in such an atmosphere. it will be really helpful information.

also want to add- Bandgi is also destroyed completely by forcing our belief on others, by threatening others, by misleading true seekers, by camouflaging-man hor mukh hor, by hiding the truth, by insulting the Religious faith and Scriptures, insulting the High Command-Waheguru, and all that………. And it takes even less than a moment, isn't it

forgive me please

Jan 6, 2007
UK
Respected Devakumarc ji

There is a Prakrit quotation on religion vattu sahavo dhammo. It means, dharma is the nature of all beings or substances. The dharma of water is to flow. If you stop its flow, you would face resistance. The dharma of fire is to burn and so on. The dharma of atma is to see and know. A true religion is one which facilitates the full expression of all beings in harmony.

It is also the dharma of the Atma to seek salvation. Your have come to the right door. Sikhism is the religion of this Yuga. The Kalyug.

Stated in simple terms, ahimsa is the best religion though difficult to practice.

By definition in the Encarta Dictionary Ahimsa – “not harming living things” the Hindu, Buddhist, and Jainist philosophy of revering all life and refraining from harm to any living thing. Indeed it is a wonderful thought. It is only a concept that can never go into practice. From the time we wake up to the time we go to sleep and in sleep thereafter there are thousands of bacteria that are dying day and night to keep this body in service. Why because our body is the supreme life on earth. Even the Devtas are yearning to have a body in order to exit from the realm of Brahm to beyond Brahma (Par Braham)

“Is Dehi to T{censored} Dev” SGGS ji.

Ahimsa is a very dangerous notion to follow. It is akin to digging your own grave and not having the luxury to lie peacefully in it because by dying you will again be killing thousands and millions of microorganisms present in our body. So where do you stop the killing. Never dwell on this notion as it will lead you to nowhere but misery.

No religion of today is perfect and for that matter even in the past.

It is not the fault of religion but of those who are practicing it or should I say pretending to practice it. We tend to use religion as a shroud to hide ourselves. The religion is guide and the burden of perfection falls on us as individuals.

The art of perfection lies in the domain of the individual but not in group or society.

Yes, the art of perfection lies in the domain of the individual. In the past if one dwelled on the path of spirituality, one joined an ashram. Segregation was essential so that one can be part of like minded people. What was that ? That was also a group, a society. But an elite society that depended on the general public for food. A totally selfish living. Guru Nanak Dev Ji came to unify all communities together. To breakdown cultural barriers. Because everyone has the right to join his maker.

Each yuga has its own rules that one has to obey. Theories of Duaaper or Treita Yugas are not fully applicable or practical in Kalyuga. Lord Ram was the devta of Treita Yuga. Lord Krishna was the Devta of Duaaper Yuga. Similarly the Lord of Kalyug is Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji.

Sikhism is not exclusive to the Punjabis. There are four doors to the Sri Harimandir Sahib. (The Golden Temple) signifying all to join as you wish, when you are ready.

This Earth is referred to as a Dharmsal – a School where you are a Student. It is from this school that you will seek the path to go home. The Holly Guru Granth Sahib stands witness to the fact that many before and many at the times of our Gurus, by living on the path as laid down have found their way home. We too can find our way home if we can truly make up our mind. The message is simple:

Pahilaa maran kabool jeevan kee chhad aas.
First, accept death( Make up your mind you want to go home), and give up any hope of life ( Cast off the notion of living )
hohu sabhnaa kee raynukaa ta-o aa-o hamaarai paas. ||1||
Become the dust of the feet of all ( become the sacrificial lamb give up your “I” ), and then, you may come to me. ||1||

So Respected Devakumarc ji do you have it in you to accept this offer. This tried and tested formula comes with the blessing of our Beloved Gurus.

Ja-o ta-o paraym khaylan kaa chaa-o.
If you desire to play this game of love with Me, (The path in which transformation takes place without pain and much effort, and forgiveness is granted)
sir Dhar talee galee mayree aa-o.
then step onto My Path with your head in hand. (The pre-requisite is that you have to forget all that you know – knowledge that you have accumulated in this world, in order for the Guru to bless you with a new vision)
it maarag pair Dhareejai.
When you place your feet on this Path, (Once you decide to take this offer)
sir deejai kaan na keejai. ||20||
give Me your head, and do not pay any attention to public opinion. ||20|(Do not look back as there will be many who will offer false promises to deter you from the path)

Do not take my word for it, Try it out. Cast off your duality.

Mere muj mein kuj nahi jo kuj kai so tera
Tera tuj ko somptey kya lage mera.

Gur amardaas p{censored}e-ai Dhi-aan lahee-ai pa-o mukihi.
Meeting with Guru Amar Daas, the mortal meditates on the Lord, and his journey comes to its end.

badmash

SPNer
Jan 25, 2007
Hi all,

I feel very troubled mentally day after day about my faith. Yes, i am a young teenage sikh but i have just 1 question that burns my mind everyday!

Despite whatever religion anyone believes in...do they all lead to GOD? I mean, why shouldnt i believe in christianity? WHen that religion makes up the bulk of our world's population? I am just troubled with this...sigh...

If anyone can help me...i would really appreciate it:8-:)

Thank you

----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------

I do not mean to be too rude, but what exactly is your problem? I mean, does it not mean anything to you that so many Sikhs of old died and were tortured so that today you can say " I am Sikh". Of course you can choose whatever path you wish, but shame that some of your (and our collective) forefathers may have suffered and sacrificed so you could question your own loyalty and allegiance to a secular and flexible faith. Better you had been born into another faith where no such conflicts or questions are even allowed?!

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
I mean, does it not mean anything to you that so many Sikhs of old died and were tortured so that today you can say " I am Sikh". Of course you can choose whatever path you wish, but shame that some of your (and our collective) forefathers may have suffered and sacrificed so you could question your own loyalty and allegiance to a secular and flexible faith. Better you had been born into another faith where no such conflicts or questions are even allowed?!

I second that.

Sikhs have inherited a fabulous heritage. Bravery against all odds. A healthy attitude towards difference in that they are not obsessed about destroying people that are different unlike some. Panjabis owe their freedom of spirit totally to Sikhism.

Although I'm not the best SIkh around I AM damn proud of my roots and wouldn't want to be any thing else. Let others do/believe what they want dude. Just explore the beauty of the Sikh revolution that you/we are all children of.

sbajwa

SPNer
Jun 3, 2008
Trouble is not between religions rather trouble is between different people who can't interpret their own religions without bringing in competition with others. so it is the Group Haumai and Group Ahankaar.

Aug 27, 2005
Baltimore Md USA
My young friend you are not unique in your feelings which I believe comes naturally to a seeker of truth. My advice is "Keep close to the faith of your parents until when and if another faith attracts you irressistably. I do belive that as "all rivers lead to the sea all faiths lead to God." Their basic creed is "love and worship God and do no harm." It sounds simple doesn't it? But it is not. You are embarking on a spiritual journey and I know this because you are here.

Peace
Satyaban

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Any religion that is based on dogmas- Subjective Truth leads one to the mechanical ritualism and curtails one's thought process and makes one parochial and mypoic in one's thinking.

Only a way of life sans dogmas which is based on pragamtism and meaningful rituals is able to open the inner windows so that the seeds of goodness sowed within can find some true light to grow which helps one to be openminded so that one reaches the level of acceptance of ALL being from only ONE SOURCE rather than tolerance which indicates one's bias and reservation towards the fellow human being.

Only the thought process that makes one realise and hence practice, " Sabh Gobind hein, Gobind bin nahin koi" can lead one towards pragmatism and openmindedness.

Tejwant Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
ਸੁਆਨ ਸਤ੍ਰੁ ਅਜਾਤੁ ਸਭ ਤੇ ਕ੍ਰਿਸ੍ਨ ਲਾਵੈ ਹੇਤੁ ॥
suaan sathra ajaath sabh thae kirasa laavai haeth ||
The killer of dogs, the lowest of all, was lovingly embraced by Krishna.

ਲੋਗੁ ਬਪੁਰਾ ਕਿਆ ਸਰਾਹੈ ਤੀਨਿ ਲੋਕ ਪ੍ਰਵੇਸ ॥੨॥
log bapuraa kiaa saraahai theen lok pravaes ||2||
See how the poor people praise him! His praise extends throughout the three worlds. ||2||

ਅਜਾਮਲੁ ਪਿੰਗੁਲਾ ਲੁਭਤੁ ਕੁੰਚਰੁ ਗਏ ਹਰਿ ਕੈ ਪਾਸਿ ॥
ajaamal pingulaa lubhath kunchar geae har kai paas ||
Ajaamal, Pingulaa, Lodhia and the elephant went to the Lord.

ਐਸੇ ਦੁਰਮਤਿ ਨਿਸਤਰੇ ਤੂ ਕਿਉ ਨ ਤਰਹਿ ਰਵਿਦਾਸ ॥੩॥੧॥
aisae dhuramath nisatharae thoo kio n tharehi ravidhaas ||3||1||
Even such evil-minded beings were emancipated. Why should you not also be saved, O Ravi Daas? ||3||1||

Sant Ravi Daas, Ang 1124

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
Re: Troubled between Religions

It seems to me that this too may have come out incorrectly. I dont see how Sikhi was formed to unite religions. guru Nanak said that he didnt want people to be forced to convert but rather told them how to follow their religion properly. Such as rituals, idol worshipping, and pilgrimages. But they did say that all people should love one another regardless of caste, colour, sex, or religion because we are all God's creation and he is in all.

If it was formed to "unite" all religions in the sense to form them into one, and you can show me how through either quotation or debate i am honestly sorry for my misunderstanding to why sikhism was created.:confused:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear All,

Sikhism believes in tolerance, humility and pantheism minus empty rituals, superstition, and miracles. Intolerance of others is the cause of trouble in the world and here are my two cents on the subject;

INTOLERANCE/ਅਸਹਿਨਸ਼ੀਲਤਾ

ABSTRACT

Intolerance is the lack of ability or willingness to accept something and is one of the character defects. It reflects an unwillingness to recognize and respect differences in opinions or beliefs. It might be due to a complex mental state involving beliefs. One’s feelings and values dispose him to act in certain ways. No individual or group is actually superior to the rest of the humanity. Intolerance is a refusal to accept people who have views, beliefs or life styles, which are different from one’s own. It is often due to ego as expressed by Guru Nanak in Raag Asa:

ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਪੂਰਾ ਆਪੇ ਹੋਵੈ ਘਟਿ ਨ ਕੋਈ ਆਖੈ ॥ਪਤਿ ਪਰਵਾਣਾ ਪਿਛੈ ਪਾਈਐ ਤਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਤੋਲਿਆ ਜਾਪੈ ॥

Sabh Ko Poora Aapay Hovai Ghat Na Ko-ee Aakhai, pat parvaanaa pichhai paa-ee-ai taa naanak toli-aa jaapai.

Every one deems himself perfect, and none calls himself imperfect. If the weight of honor is placed on the scale, then, O Nanak, one sees his true weight.
-----Guru Nanak, Asa Di Var, AGGS, Page, 469-4

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are We Intolerant?

Intolerance has been commonly associated with religion. Closely tied to the notion of “judgment” is “tolerance.” Although many accuse absolutists of intolerance, these accusers most likely have an unclear and distorted notion of what tolerance really is. They often are unaware that the concept of tolerance implies a close relationship to truth. Contrary to popular definitions, true tolerance means “putting up with error, and accepting all views.” By definition, what we tolerate is what we disapprove of or what we believe to be false and erroneous. Furthermore, tolerance presupposes an adequate grasp of what another person believes—as well as knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of such belief. Actually, if disagreement didn’t exist, then tolerance would be unnecessary. It is because real differences exist between people that tolerance becomes necessary and virtuous.

Intolerance may be caused by an unacceptable environment or a drug. Absence of the virtue of tolerance is a character defect and a global malady. I supplicated to God to bless me with tolerance. God said No; it is not granted but learnt.

ਖਿਮਾ ਗਹੀ ਸਚੁ ਸੰਚਿਓ ਖਾਇਓ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਨਾਮ ॥ ਖਰੀ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਭਈ ਅਨਦ ਸੂਖ ਬਿਸ੍ਰਾਮ ॥

Khimaa Gahee Sach Sanchio Khaa-eo Amnrit Naam, Kharee Kirpaa Thaakur Bha-ee Anad Sookh Bisraam.

Adopt an attitude of tolerance, gather truth, and partake of the Ambrosial Nectar of the Name. When my Akal Purkh and Master showed Its Great Mercy, I found peace, happiness and bliss. -----Guru Arjan, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 261-8

Tolerance is showing respect for the rights or opinions or practices of others; it is another word for indifference. To understand every thing makes one tolerant with a broader outlook and a wider vision. It is characterized by an open mind and can lead to happiness. On the other hand what one sows poison (intolerance), one will reap, says Guru Amardas in Siri Raag and Bhai Gurdas in his Vaar 4;

ਗੁਰੁ ਸਬਦੁ ਦਿੜਾਵੈ ਰੰਗ ਸਿਉ ਬਿਨੁ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਲਇਆ ਨ ਜਾਇ ॥ ਜੇ ਸਉ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਨੀਰੀਐ ਭੀ ਬਿਖੁ ਫਲੁ ਲਾਗੈ ਧਾਇ॥

Jė sa­o amriṯ nīrī­ai bẖī bikẖ fal lāgai ḏẖā­ė. Gur sabaḏ ḏiṛāvai rang si▫o bin kirpā la▫i▫ā na jā▫e.

The Guru has lovingly implanted the Word of His Sabd within me. Without His Grace, it cannot be attained. Even if the poisonous plant is watered with ambrosial nectar a hundred times, it will still bear poisonous fruit. -----Guru Amardas, Siri Raag, AGGS, Page, 65-15

ਜੋ ਬੀਜੈ ਸੋਈ ਲੁਣੈ ਸਭ ਰਸ ਕਸ ਬਹੁ ਰੰਗ ਰੰਗੀਣੀ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸੁਖ ਫਲੁ ਹੈ ਮਸਕੀਣੀ ॥

Jo Beejai So LuNai Sabh Ras Kas Boh Rang Rangeenee, Gurmukh Sukh Fal Hai MaskeeNee.

Amongst vegetative flora, of sweet and bitter tastes, and of a variety of colors on earth, one reaps whatever one sows. The saintly person perceives happiness only while practicing humility. -----Bhai Gurdas, Vaar 4, Pauri, 2

Tolerance furnishes, as a by-product, a greater freedom from the tendency to cling to preconceived ideas and stubbornly adhered-to opinions. It often promotes an open-mindedness that is vastly important and is in fact, a prerequisite to the successful conclusion of any line of search, whether it is scientific or spiritual.

Difference of opinion is helpful in religion. -----Voltaire

It is observed that those who follow the tenets of Sikhism in totality, truthfully, and honestly with the greatest earnestness attain serenity. Their zeal will often lead to other finer characteristics and attitudes as well. One of these is tolerance. Tolerance expresses itself in a variety of ways: in kindness and consideration:

1. Toward the man or woman who is just beginning the march along the Spiritual path.

2. In understanding the difficulties of those who perhaps have not learned the Gurmukhi language and enough Gurbani.

3. And in sympathy toward those whose religious ideas may seem to be at great variance.

4. The only hope of preserving what is best, lies in the practice of immense charity, a wider tolerance, and a sincere respect for the others’ opinions with humility.

It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world. If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. -----Gandhi

Human diversity makes tolerance more than a virtue. "The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to an opponent, tolerance; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect; to all men, charity." Sheikh Farid writes in his Sloke 127 on these:

ਨਿਵਣੁ ਸੁ ਅਖਰੁ ਖਵਣੁ ਜਿਹਬਾ ਮਣੀਆ ਮੰਤ॥ ਏ ਤ੍ਰੈ ਭੈਣੇ ਵੇਸ ਕਰਿ ਤਾਂ ਵਸਿ ਆਵੀ ਕੰਤੁ ॥

NivaN So Akhar KhavaN GouN Jehba MaNia Mant, Ay Tarai Bhainay Vays Kar TaaN Vas Aavee Kant.

Humility is the word, forgiveness is the virtue, and sweet speech is the magic mantra. Wear these three robes, O sister, and you will captivate your Spouse Akal Purkh. -----Sloke Sheikh Farid # 127, AGGS, Page, 1384-15

Guru Nanak in Raag Sorath and Guru Ramdas in Raag Asa ponder on human equality;

ਜੋ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਸੋ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਦੇਖਹੁ ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਦੂਜਾ ਕੋਈ ਜੀਉ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਏਕ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਕਰਿ ਦੇਖਹੁ ਘਟਿ ਘਟਿ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਮੋਈ ਜੀਉ ॥

Jo Antar So Baahar Daykhhu Avar Na Doojaa Ko-ee Jee-o,Gurmukh Ayk Darisat Kar Daykhhu Ghat Ghat Jot Samo-ee Jee-o.

God is within -- see It outside as well; there is no one, other than Akal Purkh. As Guru willed, look upon all with the single eye of equality; in each and every heart, the Divine Light is contained. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Sorath, AGGS, Page, 599-2

ਸਭ ਏਕ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਸਮਤੁ ਕਰਿ ਦੇਖੈ ਸਭੁ ਆਤਮ ਰਾਮੁ ਪਛਾਨ ਜੀਉ ॥ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਸੁ ਗਾਇਆ ਪਰਮ ਪਦੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਤੇ ਊਤਮ ਜਨ ਪਰਧਾਨ ਜੀਉ ॥

Sabh Ayk Darisat Samat Kar Gaykhai Sabh Aatam Raam Pachhaan Jee-o, Har Har Jas Gaa-i-aa Param Pad Paa-i-aa Tay Ootam Jan ParDhaan Jee-o.

They look upon all with equality, and recognize the Supreme Soul, the Akal Purkh, pervading among all. Those who sing the Praises of the God, Akal Purkh, obtain the supreme status; they are the most exalted and acclaimed people. -----Guru Ramdas, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 446-12

He who has no spiritual peace, tolerance, consolation, truth, love, and devotion cannot communicate these gifts and virtues to the others. But on the other hand those who reflect on spiritual knowledge will become benefactor to others says Guru Nanak in Raag Asa;

ਵਿਦਿਆ ਵੀਚਾਰੀ ਤਾਂ ਪਰਉਪਕਾਰੀ ॥ਜਾਂ ਪੰਚ ਰਾਸੀ ਤਾਂ ਤੀਰਥ ਵਾਸੀ ॥

vidi-aa veechaaree taaN par-upkaaree, jaaN panch raasee taaN tirath vaasee.

Contemplate and reflect upon knowledge, and you will become a benefactor to others. When you conquer the five passions, then you shall come to dwell at the sacred shrine of pilgrimage. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 356-14

Conclusion:

Patience, tolerance, understanding and love are the watchwords. Show others these things in yourself and they will be reflected back to you from them. Live and let live should be the rule. A spirit of intolerance might repel other Sikhs, whose ignorance can be dispelled by Divine Knowledge. I believe that it is fear that fuels the fires of misunderstanding and intolerance. In order to ease the fear people have of others beliefs, my way of promoting respect is to develop tolerance of all belief and non-belief systems. We all are on different paths and different spiritual stages with the same goal. None is more sacred than another. Everyone has their own personal connection to their spirituality, but regardless of what or who we call God everyone should be able to worship in their own way of understanding the teachings of Sabd Guru without intolerance. To experience love, and to create a life that succeeds, one needs to stop fighting and resisting. One can do this through "letting go," which is the inner action that releases the fear. The moment you let go, everything seems to change. With the fear gone, one sees the same situation very differently and becomes, humble, non-argumentative, creative and discovers solutions that he could never have seen before.

ਉਕਤਿ ਸਿਆਨਪ ਕਿਛੂ ਨ ਜਾਨਾ ॥ਦਿਨੁ ਰੈਣਿ ਤੇਰਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਵਖਾਨਾ ॥ਮੈ ਨਿਰਗੁਨ ਗੁਣੁ ਨਾਹੀ ਕੋਇ ॥ਕਰਨ ਕਰਾਵਨਹਾਰ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਸੋਇ ॥ ਮੂਰਖ ਮੁਗਧ ਅਗਿਆਨ ਅਵੀਚਾਰੀ ॥ ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਆਸ ਮਨਿ ਧਾਰੀ ॥ ਜਪੁ ਤਪੁ ਸੰਜਮੁ ਕਰਮ ਨ ਸਾਧਾ ॥ ਨਾਮੁ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਕਾ ਮਨਹਿ ਅਰਾਧਾ ॥ ਕਿਛੂ ਨ ਜਾਨਾ ਮਤਿ ਮੇਰੀ ਥੋਰੀ ॥ ਬਿਨਵਤਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਓਟ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਤੋਰੀ ॥

Oakat Siaanup Kichu Na Jaana, Din Raenn Tera Naam Vakhaanaa, “Mea Nirgun Gun Nahi Koey, Karan Karaavanhaar Prabh Soey, Moorakh Mugdh Agiaann Aveechaari, Naam Teray Ki Aas Man Dhari, Jap Tap Sanjam Karam Na Saadhaa, Naam Prabhu Ka Maneh Aaraadhaa, Kichoo Na Jana Mat Meri Thoree, Binvat Nanak Oat Prabh Toree.

I know nothing of arguments or cleverness. Day and night, I chant Your Name. I am worthless; I have no virtue at all. God is the Creator, the Cause of all causes. I am foolish, stupid, ignorant and thoughtless; Your Name is my mind's only hope. I have not practiced chanting, deep meditation, self-discipline or good actions; but within my mind, I have worshipped God's Name. I know nothing, and my intellect is inadequate. Prays Nanak, O God, You are my only Support. -----Guru Arjan, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 387-388

Love and tolerance of others is the foundation stone of Sikh Faith and one must tolerate others without being disturbed. The only way to make sure people you agree with can speak is to support the rights of people you don't agree with. This challenge has to be dealt with human maturity in a constructive and creative way.

Cordially,

Virinder

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA

Yes, I'm sorry for that. I did not mean it the way it came out.. i just meant in the part that there are a lot of similarities b/w them and sikhism was in a way formed to unite all religions.

Kaur ji..not right on both accounts..sorry to say..
GURMATT of Guur nanak ji is a Completely DIFFERENT APPROACH towards MERGER with the CREATOR.
Gurmatt is NOT baout joining/uniting existing religions...its a Completley NEW APPROACH..a BRAND NEW approach.
If we read the SGGS...and compare with the Bible.koran and other books we will quickly see the vast differences...

Josh martin

SPNer
Jul 8, 2009
sacramento, CA

Kaur ji..not right on both accounts..sorry to say..
GURMATT of Guur nanak ji is a Completely DIFFERENT APPROACH towards MERGER with the CREATOR.
Gurmatt is NOT baout joining/uniting existing religions...its a Completley NEW APPROACH..a BRAND NEW approach.
If we read the SGGS...and compare with the Bible.koran and other books we will quickly see the vast differences...

If I may insert my opinion. Gurmatt wasn't of Guru Nanak ji's. Its Dhur ki bhani ayi, being so its the original approach. If it was something Guru Nanak ji created himself It would be new. Gurbani is the matt of Nirankar himself thus always orignal and everlasting.
To go in lil more detail, Gurbani is Nirankar's/DHur ki bani which came Via Gurujis from Dhur/suchkhand.

Further more, Guru ji didn't come to eradicate other religions/world but to remind everyone and set them on the original path.
He reminds everyone what a real pundit/baisno/bhagoti is in Sukhmani sahib

So pandit jo mun parbodeh
Ram naam atam meh sodeh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

If I may insert my opinion. Gurmatt wasn't of Guru Nanak ji's. Its Dhur ki bhani ayi, being so its the original approach. If it was something Guru Nanak ji created himself It would be new. Gurbani is the matt of Nirankar himself thus always orignal and everlasting.
To go in lil more detail, Gurbani is Nirankar's/DHur ki bani which came Via Gurujis from Dhur/suchkhand.

Further more, Guru ji didn't come to eradicate other religions/world but to remind everyone and set them on the original path.
He reminds everyone what a real pundit/baisno/bhagoti is in Sukhmani sahib

Ram naam atam meh sodeh

Ram naam atam meh sodeh

Not to me anything subtle but actually a put-down whenever a poster catches the scent of someone who actually knows something.

"Let's look at the other portions of your comments

Gurmatt wasn't of Guru Nanak ji's. Its Dhur ki bhani ayi, being so its the original approach. If it was something Guru Nanak ji created himself "

Who "created" it if Guru Nanak did not? Who said his "inspiration did not/does not originate from the Sat? Or are we arguing that Guru Nanak's Banee was found in a mystical moment under a rock and it was marked with the signature of God, on loan for Guru Nanak to share with humanity - or some kind of Indiana Jones story like that?

"It would be new. Gurbani is the matt of Nirankar himself thus always orignal and everlasting."

Guru Bani is the Guru's Banee and Guru matth is the Guru's Wisdom, and for Guru Sikhs the Guru Bani and the Guru matth is found in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

Anyone who chooses otherwise is following some other mattth, as a member of some other panth, which they are quite free to do.

"To go in lil more detail, Gurbani is Nirankar's/DHur ki bani which came Via Gurujis from Dhur/suchkhand"

And your point is? :)

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
Dhur Ki Bani

Dear All,

As I understand with my meager intellect, I do not think that Akal Purkh communicated with Guru Nanak in Gurmukhi as written in AGGS. But IMHO Guru Nanak in his spiritual experience comunicated with the Higher Power and communicated the same with the humanity in the current people's language of the time (Khari Boli) in poetical form of his understanding of the message of Akal Purkh. With due apologies we can agree to disagree in this aspect.

Cordially,

Virinder

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
But IMHO Guru Nanak in his spiritual experience comunicated with the Higher Power and communicated the same with the humanity in the current people's language of the time (Khari Boli) in poetical form of his understanding of the message of Akal Purkh.

That would be very similar to my own views. Thank you.:wah:

Josh martin

SPNer
Jul 8, 2009
sacramento, CA

Key: Black is quotes from my last reply which she reply's to.
Blue Kaurji's reply to quotes, Red text is my reply to the blue reply.

"Let's look at the other portions of your comments
Gurmatt wasn't of Guru Nanak ji's. Its Dhur ki bhani ayi, being so its the original approach. If it was something Guru Nanak ji created himself "

Who "created" it if Guru Nanak did not?
Gupti bani pargat hoi. Gurbani is Aadh such/Jugadh such/Habai such. Always existed. Guru Nanak dev ji "pargat" Gurbani Akal purakh ki for everyone.

Who said his "inspiration did not/does not originate from the Sat?
Not only is it inspiration from Sat but is Sat in whole itself. It's puran bani, The original, not something new.

Or are we arguing that Guru Nanak's Banee was found in a mystical moment under a rock and it was marked with the signature of God,

Guru Nanak ji recieved Bhani from DHur/Suchkhand, instead of under a rock. It's not only marked by signature of God, it is Bani of God himself.
Anyone who gets on the "Jahaz" ship of bani will reach sachkhand.

on loan for Guru Nanak to share with humanity - or some kind of Indiana Jones story like that?

Kabir ji says "Gur Dini kabir ko, Kabir dini jis mastak bhag"Nothing in Gursikhi is loan or earned, its daan/daat, Given to Guru Nanak Dev ji.

"It would be new. Gurbani is the matt of Nirankar himself thus always orignal and everlasting."

Guru Bani is the Guru's Banee and Guru matth is the Guru's Wisdom, and for Guru Sikhs the Guru Bani and the Guru matth is found in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

Guru Bani is the Guru's Bannee which Guru recieved from Sachkhand/Dhur, is the Guru's Wisdom, and for Guru Sikhs the Guru Bani, bani of nirankar, and the Guru Mathh is what entire Shri Guru Granth Sahib consists of.

Anyone who chooses otherwise is following some other mattth, as a member of some other panth, which they are quite free to do.

Plz define what you mean by otherwise. Seems like your repeated what I said in different context.

"To go in lil more detail, Gurbani is Nirankar's/DHur ki bani which came Via Gurujis from Dhur/suchkhand"

And your point is? :)
Point being, Giani Jarnail Singh ji states that Gurbani is brand new approach and is not about joinin/uniting other religions. In answer to which I stated my opinion: Gurbani has always existed, does exist and will always exist, nothing brand new. Gurbani diminishes/erases/transcends petty differences between races/religions etc and is "sanjhi" for all humankind. Shri Guru Granth Sahib ji are Jagat/world guru. Guru Bani guru, guru hai bani, Goes for everyone.

This is always fun. If possible, keep quotes in original order posted.

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
BaNi/ ਬਾਨੀ/ ਬਾਣੀ

Meaning- (1) ਸ਼ਬਦ, ਬਾਣੀ, ਕਾਵਿ- ਬੋਲ, ਬੋਲ (2) ਬੋਲੀ, ਬਚਨ (3) ਰੰਗ (4) ਭਾਂਤ, ਕਿਸਮ,ਪ੍ਰਕਾਰ (5) ਤੀਰਾਂ ਨਾਲ (6) ਆਦਤ, ਸੁਭਾਉ -Founder, one who founds / sets up establishes.
ਸੰ. ਵਰ੍*ਣ. ਰੰਗਤ. "ਕੁਮ੍ਹਾਰੈ ਏਕੁ ਜੁ ਮਾਟੀ ਗੂੰਧੀ, ਬਹੁ ਬਿਧਿ ਬਾਨੀ ਲਾਈ". (ਆਸਾ ਕਬੀਰ)। (2) ਕਿਸਮ. ਭਾਂਤ. ਪ੍ਰਕਾਰ. "ਰਾਂਧਿ ਕੀਓ ਬਹੁ ਬਾਨੀ". (ਸੋਰ ਰਵਿਦਾਸ) ਰਿੰਨ੍ਹਕੇ ਕਈ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਰ ਦਾ ਬਣਾਇਆ। (3) ਲਾਲ ਵਰ੍*ਣ ਦਾ ਸੂਤ, ਜੋ ਦੁਤਹੀ ਖੇਸ ਆਦਿ ਦੇ ਕਿਨਾਰੇ ਬੁਣਿਆ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ। (4) ਸੁਵਰਣ ਦਾ ਵਰ੍*ਣ (ਰੰਗਤ) ਬੰਨੀ। (5) ਸੁਭਾਉ. ਬਾਣ. ਆਦਤ. "ਪਰਦਰਬੁ ਹਿਰਨ ਕੀ ਬਾਨੀ". (ਪ੍ਰਭਾ ਬੇਣੀ)। (6) ਬਾਣਾਂ (ਤੀਰਾਂ) ਨਾਲ. ਵਾਣੋ ਸੇ. "ਪਾਂਚ ਮਿਰਗ ਬੇਧੇ ਸਿਵ ਕੀ ਬਾਨੀ". (ਭੈਰ ਮਃ ੫)। (7) ਅ਼. __ ਵਿ- ਮੋਢੀ. ਮੂਜਿਦ. "ਮੰਡ੍ਯੋ ਬੀਰ ਬਾਨੀ". (ਵਿਚਿਤ੍ਰ)। (8) ਸੰ. ਵਾਣੀ. {ਸੰਗ੍ਯਾ}. ਵਚਨ. ਵਾਕ੍ਯ. "ਬਾਨੀ ਪਢੋ ਸ਼ੁੱਧ ਗੁਰੁ ਕੇਰੀ". (ਗੁਪ੍ਰਸੂ)। (9) ਸਰਸ੍ਵਤੀ. "ਲਿਯੇ ਬੀਨ ਨਾਰਦ ਅਰੁ ਬਾਨੀ". (ਸਲੋਹ).​

GurbaNi-ਗੁਰੁਬਾਨੀ/ਗੁਰੁਬਾਣੀ

Words of Guru; ਸ਼ਬਦ, ਆਵਾਜ਼, ਨਾਦ, ਜੀਵਨ-ਰੌ, ਸਿਫ਼ਤਿ-ਸਾਲਾਹ ਦੀ ਬਾਣੀ, ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ, ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਦਾ ਕੀਰਤਨ। ਗੁਰੂ ਦੇ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਵਿੱਚ।

"ਗੁਰੁਬਾਣੀ ਕਹੈ ਸੇਵਕ ਜਨ ਮਾਨੈ ਪਰਤਖਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਨਿਸਤਾਰੇ". (ਨਟ ਅਃ ਮਃ ੪) ਸੁਧਾ ਕੀ ਤਰੰਗਿਨੀ ਸੀ ਰੋਗ ਭ੍ਰਮ ਭੰਗਨੀ ਹੈ ਮਹਾਸ੍ਵੇਤ ਰੰਗਨੀ ਮਹਾਨ ਮਨ ਮਾਨੀ ਹੈ। ਕਿਧੌਂ ਯਹਿ ਹੰਸਨੀ ਸੀ ਮਾਨਸਵਤੰਸਨੀ ਹੈ ਗੁਨਿਨ ਪ੍ਰਸੰਸਨੀ ਸਰਬ ਜਗ ਜਾਨੀ ਹੈ। ਕਿਧੌਂ ਚੰਦ ਚਾਂਦਨੀ ਸੀ ਮੋਹਘਾਮ ਮੰਦਨੀ ਹੈ ਰਿਦੈ ਕੀ ਅਨੰਦਨੀ ਸਦੀਵ ਸੁਖਦਾਨੀ ਹੈ। ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਪਟਰਾਨੀ ਸ੍ਯਾਨੀ ਗ੍ਯਾਨ ਕੀ ਜਨਨਿ ਜਾਨੀ ਗੁਨੀ ਭਨੀ ਬਾਨੀ ਤਾਂਕੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗੁਰੁਬਾਨੀ ਹੈ। (ਨਾਪ੍ਰ)। (2) ਕਰਤਾਰ ਸੰਬੰਧੀ ਬਾਣੀ. "ਰਾਤੀ ਜਾਇ ਸੁਣੈ ਗੁਰੁਬਾਣੀ". (ਭਾਗੁ).

ਗੁਰਬਾਨੀ- {ਸੰਗ੍ਯਾ}. ਗੁਰੂ ਨਾਨਕਦੇਵ ਅਤੇ ਉਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਦੇ ਰੂਪ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਾਂ ਦੀ ਬਾਣੀ. ਅਕਾਲੀ ਬਾਣੀ, ਜੋ ਗੁਰੂ ਦ੍ਵਾਰਾ ਸਾਨੂੰ ਪ੍ਰਾਪਤ ਹੋਈ ਹੈ. "ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਇਸੁ ਜਗ ਮਹਿ ਚਾਨਣੁ". (ਸ੍ਰੀ ਅਃ ਮਃ ੩) "ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਹਰਿਨਾਮ ਸਮਾਇਆ". (ਗਉ ਮਃ ੪) ਦੇਖੋ, ਗੁਰੁਬਾਨੀ.

ਸਚੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਜੁਗ ਚਾਰੇ ਜਾਪੈ ॥

Sacẖī baṇī jug cẖārė jāpai.

The True Bani of the Word is known throughout the four ages.-----Guru Amar Das, Raag Gauri Guareri, AGGS, Page, 158-10

ਜੁਗ ਚਾਰੇ ਨਾਮੁ ਉਤਮੁ ਸਬਦੁ ਬੀਚਾਰਿ ॥

Jug cẖārė nām uṯam sabaḏ bīcẖār.

Throughout the four ages, the Naam is the ultimate; reflect upon the Word of the Sabd.-----Guru Amar Das, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 229-16

ਚਹੁ ਜੁਗ ਮਹਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਸਾਚੀ ਬਾਣੀ ॥

Cẖahu jug meh amriṯ sācẖī baṇī.

Throughout the four ages, the True Bani of Akal Purkh’s Word is Ambrosial Nectar.-----Guru Amar Das, Raag Dhanasari, AGGS, Page, 665-17

ਚਹੁ ਜੁਗਾ ਕਾ ਹੁਣਿ ਨਿਬੇੜਾ ਨਰ ਮਨੁਖਾ ਨੋ ਏਕੁ ਨਿਧਾਨਾ ॥

Cẖahu jugā kā huṇ nibėṛā nar manukẖā no ėk niḏẖānā.

The Name of the One Akal Purkh is the greatest treasure and it is the essence of the teachings of the four ages: for the human race -----Guru Amar Das, Raag Bilawal, AGGS, Page, 797-17

ਜੁਗ ਚਾਰੇ ਨਾਮਿ ਵਡਿਆਈ ਹੋਈ ॥

Jug cẖārė nām vadi­ā­ī ho­ī.

In all four ages, the Naam, the Name of the Akal Purkh, is glorious and great.-----Guru Amar Das, Raag Ramkali, AGGS, Page, 880-2

ਜੁਗ ਚਾਰੇ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦਿ ਪਛਾਤਾ ॥

Jug cẖārė gur sabaḏ pacẖẖāṯā.

Throughout the four ages, Guru willed recognizes the Word of the Guru's Sabd.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIVINE KNOWLEDGE/SPIRITUAL WISDOM/ ਗਿਆਨੁ

ABSTRACT

Divine Knowledge is gained through learning honestly, truthfully by living in the message in thought, word, spirit, and deed in the hymns of AGGS. It imparts an understanding of facts and truths about the material world (Maya) and It’s Creator. Divine Will is the cause of all material things (Maya). The transference of such knowledge into our own world of finite space and time also is made possible by the Divine Will. Guru Arjan in Raag Asa and Kabir in Raag Gauri Thiti say; who get blessed with Naam and Its Grace, do understand the mystery of God, where by there is no difference between the seeker and the Creator, the common denominator being the Divine knowledge;

ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਨ ਵਿਸਰੈ ਨਾਮੁ ਸੇ ਕਿਨੇਹਿਆ ॥ਭੇਦੁ ਨ ਜਾਣਹੁ ਮੂਲਿ ਸਾਂਈ ਜੇਹਿਆ ॥

Jinĥā na visrai nām sė kinėhi¬ā. Bẖėḏ na jāṇhu mūl sāʼn¬ī jėhi¬ā.

What are they like - those who do not forget the Name of the Akal Purkh? Know that there is absolutely no difference; they are exactly like the God. -----Guru Arjan. Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 397-17

ਸਾਧਿਕ ਸਿਧ ਲਖੈ ਜਉ ਭੇਉ ॥ ਆਪੇ ਕਰਤਾ ਆਪੇ ਦੇਉ ॥

Sāḏẖik siḏẖ lakẖai ja¬o bẖė¬o, Āpė karṯā āpė ḏė¬o.

When the strivers and holy seekers come to know the secret of Akal Purkh's mystery, they themselves become the Creator; they themselves become the Divine Itself. -----Kabir, Raag Gauri Thiti, AGGS, Page, 343-4

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Akal Purkh is completely beyond mortal abilities of comparison and conception, and so we can have only partial knowledge about God. We may know Its Attributes and Names but Its essence may escape us. One can study Akal Purkh’s acts and meditate on Its attributes. They help -- still it is not easy. Guru Nanak in Raag Asa says that the divine knowledge does not come by mere talk:

ਗਿਆਨੁ ਨ ਗਲੀਈ ਢੂਢੀਐ ਕਥਨਾ ਕਰੜਾ ਸਾਰੁ॥ ਕਰਮਿ ਮਿਲੈ ਤਾ ਪਾਈਐ ਹੋਰ ਹਿਕਮਤਿ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਖੁਆਰੁ ॥

Giaan Na Galee-ee Dhoodhai Kathna Karrhaa Saar, Karam Milai Taa Paa-ee-ai Hor Hikmat Hukam Khu-aar.

Wisdom cannot be found through mere words. To explain It is as hard as iron. When the Akal Purkh bestows Its Grace, then alone it is received; other tricks and orders are useless. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 465-1

Divine Knowledge and Will are two essential Attributes of Divine Being:

ਗਿਆਨੁ ਧਿਆਨੁ ਸਚੁ ਗਹਿਰ ਗੰਭੀਰਾ॥ ਕੋਇ ਨ ਜਾਣੈ ਤੇਰਾ ਚੀਰਾ॥

Giaan Dhiaan Such Gehar Ganbheera, Koey Na Janai Tayra Cheeraa.

Spiritual wisdom comes from deep and profound meditation on the True Akal Purkh. No one truly knows Its expanse. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Maru Dakhni, AGGS, Page, 1034-4

Divine Knowledge is an awareness and understanding of the eternal truths. It can be learned through the teachings incorporated in the Sabd Guru. The purpose of Divine knowledge is to purify our inner selves. This purification is the result of subjugating five lower instincts and developing godly virtues, otherwise an individual will only understand according to his meager intellect says Kabir;

ਜਾ ਕੈ ਜੀਅ ਜੈਸੀ ਬੁਧਿ ਹੋਈ ॥ਕਹਿ ਕਬੀਰ ਜਾਨੈਗਾ ਸੋਈ ॥

Jā kai jī¬a jaisī buḏẖ ho¬ī, Kahi Kabīr jānaigā so¬ī.

What ever kind of understanding is lodged in ones self, such shall be his realization, says Kabir. -----Kabir, Gauri Poorbi Bawan Akhri, AGGS, Page, 343-2

Divine Knowledge provides the clothing for the material existence of creatures and things (Maya) according to the Divine Will, within the bounds of time and space. Transfer of Knowledge also occurs by the blessing of Akal Purkh’s Will otherwise one wanders in ignorance aimlessly says Nanak;

ਗਿਆਨ ਵਿਹੂਣੀ ਭਵੈ ਸਬਾਈ॥ ਸਾਚ ਰਵਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਈ॥

Giaan Vihoonee Bhvai Sabaa-ee, Saachaa Rav Rahiaa Liv Layee.

Without spiritual wisdom, they all just wander about aimlessly. The True Akal Purkh is pervading and permeating everywhere and remains engaged lovingly.
-----Guru Nanak, Raag Maru, AGGS, Page, 1034-17

As described in the following hymns of Kabir in Raag Kedara, Guru Arjan, and Guru Nanak in Raag Asa, active participation is required by anyone seeking Divine Knowledge:

ਤੇਰਾ ਜਨੁ ਏਕੁ ਆਧੁ ਕੋਈ ॥ ਕਾਮ ਕੋ੍ਧ ਲੋਭ ਬਿਬਰਜਿਤ ਹਰਿ ਪਦੁ ਚੀਨੈ ਸੋਈ॥ ਰਜ ਗੁਣ ਤਮ ਗੁਣ ਸਤ ਗੁਣ ਕਹੀਐ ਇਹ ਸਭ ਮਾਇਆ॥ ਚਉਥੇ ਪਦ ਕਉ ਜੋ ਨਰ ਚੀਨੈ੍ ਤਿਨ੍ ਹੀ ਪਰਮ ਪਦੁ ਪਾਇਆ॥

tayraa jan ayk aaDh ko-ee,Kaam Krodh Lobh Moh Biberjit Har Pad Cheenai Soyee, “Raj Goun Tam Goun Sat Goun Kaheyai Eh Teri Sabh Maya, “Chauthay Pad Kaou Jo Nar Cheenai Tin He Param Pad Paaeya.

Rare is the one who is truly a humble servant of the Akal Purkh. By overcoming sexual desire, anger, greed and attachment, such a person becomes aware of the Akal Purkh's Feet. He learns about Rajas, the quality of energy and activity; Taamas, the quality of darkness and inertia; and Satvas, the quality of purity and light. These are all manifestations of Maya, and an illusion. He alone, who reaches the fourth state of spiritual development, obtains the supreme state of Divine Knowledge. -----Kabir, Raag Kedara, AGGS, Page, 1123

ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਧੂ ਸੰਗਿ ਜਾਗੇ ਗਿਆਨ ਰੰਗ॥ ਵਡਭਾਗੇ ਕਿਰਪਾ ॥

Nanak Sadhoo Sang Jaagay Giaan Rang, Vadbhaagay Kirpa.

In the company of the holy, one’s love for Divine Knowledge is awakened. The Akal Purkh's Mercy is bestowed upon those who are blessed with such good destiny. -----Guru Arjan, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 380-8

ਸਗਲੀ ਧਰਤੀ ਮਾਲੁ ਧਨੁ ਵਰਤਣਿ ਸਰਬ ਜੰਜਾਲ ॥ਨਾਨਕ ਮੁਸੈ ਗਿਆਨ ਵਿਹੂਣੀ ਖਾਇ ਗਇਆ ਜਮਕਾਲੁ ॥

Saglee Dhartee Maal Dhan Vartan Sarab Janjaal, Nanak Musai Giaan Vihoonee Khaay Gaiaa Jamkaal.

Earthly goods, property, and material wealth are all entanglements. O, Nanak, without Divine Knowledge, one is plundered, and devoured by the Messenger of Death. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 465-6

Spiritual ignorance persists in those who do not try to sharpen their minds. Without an active attempt to control and purify the mind with the medicine of Truth, Divine knowledge is not possible. One gets ready to receive the blessing of Divine knowledge by stilling his mind. The pause between two thoughts energizes the mind and readies to receive Its Grace. It can then be blessed with Divine knowledge. In a mind, there can only be one thought at a time. And it should be focused on that Absolute Principle; otherwise it is a worship of ignorance says Guru Nanak;

ਗਿਆਨ ਹੀਣੰ ਅਗਿਆਨ ਪੂਜਾ॥ ਔਧ ਵਰਤਾਵਾ ਭਾਉ ਦੂਜਾ ॥

Giaan HeeNan Agiaan Poojaa, Andh Vartaavaa Bhaou Doojaa.

Without spiritual wisdom, people are merely worshipping ignorance. They grope in the dark and stay in love with the duality. -----Guru Nanak, Sloke Vaaran To Vadheek, AGGS, Page, 1412-4

Kabir proclaimed in Raag Gauri that when mind is sharpened and channeled by Divine knowledge, one can come to know the three worlds. Without such knowledge he remains in the pangs of separation;

ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਲੇ ਜਉ ਉਨਮਨਿ ਰਹੈ ॥ਤਉ ਤੀਨਿ ਲੋਕ ਕੀ ਬਾਤੈ ਕਹੈ ॥

Ayh Man Lay Jaou Unman Rahay, Taou Teen Lok Ki Baatay Kahay.

When this mind is channeled, and guided through enlightenment, it can grasp the secrets of the three worlds. -----Bhagat Kabir, Gauri Poorbi, AGGS, Page, 342-5

ਸਾਸੁ ਕੀ ਦੁਖੀ ਸਸੁਰ ਕੀ ਪਿਆਰੀ ਜੇਠ ਕੇ ਨਾਮਿ ਡਰਉ ਰੇ ॥ਸਖੀ ਸਹੇਲੀ ਨਨਦ ਗਹੇਲੀ ਦੇਵਰ ਕੈ ਬਿਰਹਿ ਜਰਉ ਰੇ॥

Saas Kee Dukhee Sasur Kee Pi-aaree Jayth Kay Naam Dara-o Ray, Sakhee Sahaylee Nanad Gahaylee Dayvar Kai Bireh Jarao Ray.

I am bothered by my mother-in-law, Maya, and loved by my father-in-law, the Akal Purkh. I fear even the name of my husband's elder brother, Death. O, my mates and companions, my husband's sister, misunderstanding has seized me, and I am burning with the pain of separation from my husband's younger brother, Divine Knowledge. -----Kabir, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 482-7

Bhai Gurdas says that Gurmukhs attains divine knowledge through Sabd in his Vaar 19;

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਬਾਣੀਐ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪੂਰਣ ਮਤਿ ਸਬਦਿ ਨੀਸਾਣੀਐ ॥

Gurmukh Breham Giaan Giaanee Baanee-ai, Gurmukh PooraN Mat Sabd NeesaaNee-ai.

Once Guru willed attain Divine Knowledge, they are called knowledgeable ones and has the wisdom fully stamped and marked by the Word.-----Bhai Gurdas, Vaar 19, Pauri, 15

The wise seers and perfect masters come to see the Divine Light, the elemental or metaphysical form of God. Their knowledge occurs in an instant. They immediately and directly experience divine light. They hear the holy name, inner unstrung music, and taste the holy nectar. This knowledge is present in all as Higher self veiled by lowers self, which has to be removed by an active effort of the individual to be blessed by becoming a candidate for it. Further to attain such Divine Knowledge one needs the help of a Guru, says Nanak in Raag Asa;

ਕੁੰਭੇ ਬਧਾ ਜਲ ਰਹੈ ਜਲ ਬਿਨੁ ਕੁੰਭ ਨ ਹੈਇ ॥ ਗਿਆਨ ਕਾ ਬਧਾ ਮਨੁ ਰਹੈ ਬਿਨੁ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਨ ਹੋਇ॥

Kunbhay Badha Jal Rahay Jal Bin Kunbh Na Hoay, Giaan Ka Badhaa Man Rahai Gur Bin Giaan Na Hoay.

Water remains confined within the pitcher, but without water, the pitcher could not have been formed. Similarly the mind is restrained by spiritual wisdom, but without the Guru, there is no spiritual wisdom. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 469-17

Guru Arjan in Raag Gauri emphasizes the idea that spiritual wisdom cannot be gained by mere talk or by merely listening to divine stories.

ਙੰਙਾ ਙਿਆਨੁ ਨਹੀ ਮੁਖ ਬਾਤਉ॥ ਅਨਿਕ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਸਾਸਤ੍ ਕਰਿ ਭਾਤਉ॥ ਙਿਆਨੀ ਜਾ ਕੈ ਦਿ੍ੜ ਸੋਉ॥ ਕਹਤ ਸੁਨਤ ਕਛੁ ਜੋਗੁ ਨ ਹੋਊ॥

Nganga Ngiaan Mukh Batou, Anek Jugat Saaster Kar Bhatou, Ngianee Soey Ja Kai Dirrh Souoo, Kehat Sunat Kuch Joag Na Houoo.

NGANGA, Spiritual wisdom is not obtained by mere words of mouth. It is not obtained through the various debates about the Shaastras and scriptures. They alone are spiritually wise, whose minds are firmly fixed on The Akal Purkh. Hearing and telling stories, no one attains Yoga. -----Guru Arjan, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 251

It is only after we see divine light within our inner-self that self-transformation and holistic well-being become reality,” says Kabir in Raag Parbhati.

ਤਤੁ ਤੇਲੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਕੀਆ ਬਾਤੀ ਦੀਪਕੁ ਦੇਹ ਉਜ੍ਹਾਰਾ ॥ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਾਇ ਜਗਦੀਸ ਜਗਾਇਆ ਬੂਝੈ ਬਝਨਹਾਰਾ ॥

Tat Tail Naam Kee-aa Baati Deepak Dayh Oujhaaraa, Jot La-ay Jagdees Jagaa-e-aa Boojhai Boojhanhara.

With the oil of knowledge about the essence of reality, and the wick of the Naam, the Name of the Akal Purkh, this lamp illuminates my body. I have applied the Light of the Master of the Universe, and lit this lamp. This mystery the enlightened alone realize. -----Kabir, Raag Parbhati, AGGS, Page, 1350-13

Spirituality and Divine Knowledge help us to discover the Truth. They make life of an individual meaningful in its totality, and complete. They are gained through the help of a holy teacher and by focusing the mind on the Akal Purkh, and then It illuminates Its laws of Justice which is blind but evenhanded.

ਮਾਈ ਗੁਰ ਬਿਨੁ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਨ ਪਾਇਐ॥ ਅਨਿਕ ਪ੍ਕਾਰ ਫਿਰਤ ਮਿਲਤ ਨਹੀ ਗੋਸਾਈਆ॥

Maa-ee Gur Bin Giaan Na Paaeeai, Anek Parkaar Firat Billaatay Milat Nhee Gosaa-eeai.

O mother, without the Guru, spiritual wisdom is not obtained. People roam around, weeping and crying out in all directions, but the Master of the World does not meet them.-----Guru Arjan, Raag Devgandhari, AGGS, Page, 532-11

ਹਉਮੈ ਮਮਤਾ ਜਲਿ ਬਲਉ ਲੋਭੁ ਜਲਉ ਅਭਿਮਾਨੁ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਬਦੁ ਵੀਚਾਰੀਐਪਾਈਐ ਗੁਣੀ ਨਿਧਾਨੁ॥

Houmai Mamta Jal Balou Loabh Jalou Abhiman, Nanak Shabad Vichaariai Paaeeai GuNee Nidhaan.

May my egotism and possessiveness be burnt to ashes, and may my greed and egotistical pride consigned to the fire. Nanak, by reflecting on the Sabd, one obtains the treasure of Spiritual Wisdom. -----Guru Nanak, Siri Raag, AGGS, Page, 59-18

ਸੋ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਜਿਨਿ ਸਬਦਿ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਈ॥ ਮਨਮੁਖਿ ਹਉਮੈ ਪਤਿ ਗਵਾਈ ॥

So Giani Jin Sabad Liv Laa-ee, Manmukh Houmai Pat Gavaa-ee.

He alone is Giani, knower of the knowledge, who focuses on the Name. The self-willed, egotistical loses his honor. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Bilawal, AGGS, Page, 831-15

Conclusion;

Divine Knowledge alone removes ignorance. Once ignorance is dispelled human mind becomes pure. When all traces of ਹਉਮੈ are gone, the mind gets illuminated with Spiritual Wisdom. Upon attaining this state of direct Vision as Gurmukh one rids of any misapprehension, uncertainty, and doubt of the Self as well as that of Reality not to arise again. One experiences his self-less true Higher Self. Unreality vanishes; only the One Pure, unseen All-pervading Consciousness is seen in all says Guru Nanak;

ਤੂੰ ਸਭਨਾ ਮਾਹਿ ਸਮਾਇਆ ॥ ਤਿਨਿ ਕਰਤੈ ਆਪੁ ਲੁਕਾਇਆ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਰਗਟੁ ਹੋਇਆ ਜਾ ਕਉ ਜੋਤਿ ਧਰੀ ਕਰਤਾਰਿ ਜੀਉ ॥ Ŧūʼn sabẖnā māhi samā­i­ā. Ŧin karṯai āp lukā­i­ā. Nānak gurmukẖ pargat ho­i­ā jā ka­o joṯ ḏẖarī karṯār jī­o.

You, Akal Purkh, are pervading in all, and yet, the Creator keeps It self concealed. O, Nanak, the Creator is revealed to the Guru willed, within whom It has infused Its Light. -----Guru Nanak, Siri Raag, AGGS, Page, 72-14

Virinder S. Grewal

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: