Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

India Threads Identifying Delhi Rape Victim Removed

Discussion in 'Breaking News' started by spnadmin, Jan 8, 2013.

1. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Some of you may be wondering why the 2 threads identifying the name and image of the Delhi rape victim have been moved. You can no longer see them.

I have done that because of a public notice I spotted on The Hindu this morning. Even if the father has given permission, it is still a violation of Indian Law to reveal her identity. A legal procedure has to be followed to waive anonymity.

"As some of you may know, a foreign newspaper has published the name of the 23-year-old rape victim, apparently with the approval of her father. Section 228A of the Indian Penal Code, which prohibits publication of the name of a deceased rape victim without the permission of her next of kin, lays down a specific procedure by which this permission is to be accorded: it must be given in writing to a welfare organisation or institution recognised by the Central or State governments. To the best of my knowledge, this procedure, which was introduced into law as an added layer of protection for the victim and her family, has not yet been followed. We respect the father's wish to go public, if that is indeed what he wants, but unless he states the same in writing in the manner prescribed by statute, The Hindu will continue witholding the name of the victim." http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/naming-delhi-rape-victim-a-note-to-readers/article4280199.ece

There is also confusion as to whether the father actually did give permission to reveal his daughter's identity.

Until we are clear about the legal liability of SPN the threads now reside in the section accessible to forum admin and moderators. I apologize, but I don't want to take risks until this is cleared up. Discretion is the better part of valour.

Apologies for the inconvenience. I will return the threads once we know what is going on.
    • Like Like x 8
  2. Loading...