• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Thoughts On Sikhism As A Non-Sikh

Apr 4, 2007

I
truly believe that if all of the oppressed people, especially the lower caste Hindus, and those spiritually lost in this age of darkness, yearn to lead the life of dignified, self-respecting, brave and civilized people, emancipated forever, from the mired state of spiritual destitution, disenfranchisement and human rights violations meted on them from centuries, in some cases millenniums, worth of iron-handed oppression, they should study the glorious traditions of Sikhs Gurus and take the Amrit of a Khalsa warrior and become Sikhs.

i totally agree. i wonder if the author has followed his own suggestion? :)

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
I do not think if there is single Hindu who would like to take Amrit.

For the time being ,so far as I know, there are only a few who would care to visit any temple on regular basis. Many of them also believe in Bhajans [ almost like the keertan of sikhs] and some believe in naam as well ,however, the Naam they believe in is literal Naam of the God .

I do not think that except for idol worship there is significant difference in the two[hinduism or sikhism]. They have their rituals and we also have some.

Many Hindus also believe in single God like us.There is not any philosophy called as Hinduism.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
The following is an Aarti which many Hindus recite in the evening or morning.

Om jai Jagdish Hare
Swami Jai jadish Hare.
Bhagat Jano ke sankat swami kshan mein dur karey.
Jo dhyavay phal pavay..............

Meaning.
He is the Lord.
He helps His devotees and removes their pains and anguish/agony in a jiff.
One who remembers HIM gets the fruits.

I like this very much and have cd's as well. It is also very soothing to the mind.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Quoted from Geeta

"But after spiritual attainment there is neither teacher nor pupil, and the Self who has gained awareness of the essence, of the Supreme Spirit, is left all alone.

When the Self is absorbed in God, neither is the teacher a preceptor nor the disciple a receptacle. This is the state of the most exalted excellence. After assimilating the teacher’s excellence the disciple shares it, and the distinction between the teacher and the pupil is obliterated.

Krishn says, “Arjun, you shall dwell in me.”

Arjun will become identical with Krishna, and the same is true of every sage who has known attainment. In such a state the teacher’s existence merges into, and his magnificence flows spontaneously like a crystal stream through, the disciple’s heart."

It reflects the philosophy that is similar to the Sikhs with the difference that Krishna called Himself the Lord.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
As the embodied soul waxes from childhood to youth, then wanes to old age, and assumes one new body after another, wise men are not prey to infatuation. At some time a man is a boy and then he grows into a young man. But does he die by this? Then he grows old. The Self is ever the same; only the condition of the physical body in which he resides goes on changing. There is no crack in him when he changes over to a new body. This change from one physical body to another will continue until the Soul is united with the Supreme Spirit who alone is beyond all change.

It is also like our philosophy.

Apr 4, 2007
I do not think if there is single Hindu who would like to take Amrit.

which is interesting, considering the enthusiasm the writer shows for "low caste" hindus doing just that. probably Patels don't need to become sikhs? :)

For the time being ,so far as I know, there are only a few who would care to visit any temple on regular basis. Many of them also believe in Bhajans [ almost like the keertan of sikhs] and some believe in naam as well ,however, the Naam they believe in is literal Naam of the God .

ok, what does this mean, "believe in" bhajans. i know people who listen to them, but what do they "believe" about them?

and what is the difference between Naam as sikhs believe and Naam as "hindus" believe?

I do not think that except for idol worship there is significant difference in the two[hinduism or sikhism]. They have their rituals and we also have some.

Many Hindus also believe in single God like us.There is not any philosophy called as Hinduism.

yes, it is true that hinduism encompasses a huge variety of practices, including atheism. which is why i don't think it's at all appropriate to say there is no "significant difference" in the two faiths.

sikhism is a simple logical religion, with one obvious path to redemption. unlike the confused mix of superstition, ritual, and belief systems we call hinduism.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM