Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Leisure The Un-named Path

Discussion in 'Business, Lifestyle & Leisure' started by Scarlet Pimpernel, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Scarlet Pimpernel

Scarlet Pimpernel
    Expand Collapse
    We seek him here,we sikh
    SPNer Supporter

Guru Nanak gave us a true profound wisdom concerning the essence of what it is to be truly religious.This school of learning has now become an identity in itself, all True Religions have Truth in Common and are universally opposed to the same things, but we rarely talk about this, perhaps we are afraid we will lose our distinct identity as Sikhs.The truth is you can call yourself anything but have you realised the truth?

#1 Scarlet Pimpernel, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Sikh News 15 Years After 9/11 Founding, The Sikh Coalition Builds A 'Path Forward' Breaking News Sep 10, 2016
    Pathfinder Joins Sikh Philosophy Network! New SPN'ers Sep 5, 2016
    Homeopathy And Sikhism Hard Talk Jul 1, 2016
    Gurdwara Pathar Sahib, Leh, Ladakh, India Gurmat Vichaar Apr 23, 2016
    Spirituality the ultimate path Blogs Oct 22, 2015

3. Ambarsaria

Ambarsaria Canada
    Expand Collapse
    ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
    Writer SPNer Contributor Supporter

Meaning of Life

Original thread by Ben Bet Beh partially recreated below by Ambarsaria

Ben Bet Beh ji I have taken your questions with your original answers and stated my understanding from a Sikh perspective based on what I know. It is as follows,

BBB: Who gives us the meaning of life? Answer: Jesus Christ, the son of God. Jesus is the 2nd person of the Blessed Trinity (three persons in one God. The three persons are Father, Son, and Holy Spirit).

Ambarsaria: The understanding of creation gives us the meaning of life. However our teachings and Guru ji's emphasized the infiniteness of creation and futility of knowing all. Hence for Sikhs meaning of life is learned through understanding but still more to learn all the time.

BBB: What is the meaning of life? Answer: To love God with all our heart, mind, and strength and to love our neighbor as ourself. Those who do this will inherit the kingdom of heaven.

Ambarsaria: Fundamental in Sikhism is living in consonance with creation all around. One is more able to do so throughout life by developing an ever better understanding.

BBB: When does the meaning of life become accomplished? Answer: At the end of our life we will be judged by God based upon our good and bad actions.

Ambarsaria: In Sikhism, there is no end checkpoint to flag the completion of understanding the meaning of life. Beginning and end of life are just transformational stages within the creation we are part of. There is no judgement day rather a continuous checkpoints during living through one's interaction with humanity and rest of creation all the time.

BBB: Where does the meaning of this life bring us to? Answer: For those who do the will of God, they will be united with God in Heaven. For those who do not, they will be separated from God in Hell. These destinations are permanent and unchangable.

Ambarsaria: Since there is no end point and the life is ever learning, the process brings about better living through understanding so over time you have balance that is like a stage of bliss to be in consonance. Hell and heaven are not recognized or espoused in Sikhism and creator is not considered a judge rather creator gives all a leeway to work with rest of creation. One's actions could lead to dire or some or no consequnces depending on one's interaction with others including rest of creation. Creation being transformational we will become dust to dust and part of other(s) life, elements, etc., as and when.

BBB: Why is there meaning in this life? Answer: God desires to share in His creative work. He allows us to participate in creation. He allows us to chose whether or not we want to be a part of who He is.

Ambarsaria: Sikhism does not define a meaning in any or all life. We are party to creation and through our understanding we will achieve happy and consonant living with others and rest of creation. We are part of creation which is forever transformational and the complete understanding of creator or creation is beyond anyone.

BBB: How do we achieve the desired will of God regarding the meaning of life? Answer: Our actions in this life determine where you will be in the next life (whether Heaven or Hell).

Ambarsaria: Our actions are not a promise of anything after death. There is no concept or belief of body or soul re-incarnation.

Hoping above is in line with your expectations. Be happy to dialog further with all as appropriate.

Sat Sri Akal.

#2 Ambarsaria, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  4. Scarlet Pimpernel

Scarlet Pimpernel
    Expand Collapse
    We seek him here,we sikh
    SPNer Supporter

I would just like to say very well answered Tejwant Singh Ji and Ambarsaria Ji isn't hindsight a wonderful peacemaker lol

5. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Ambarsaria ji

I thank you for your efforts in reconstructing a portion of some original threads from your document files. These threads: Introduction to the Philosophy of Religion, Meaning of Life, Un-named Path, and If you study an orange, etc. were merged earlier today as a single thread. My deletion of the merged thread is regrettable. And I apologize. Thank you sinner ji for contributing to a recreation of the thread, Disturb us Lord and If you study an orange, as well.

Now I have merged these new threads under the previous title of Un-named Path. So all spiritual reflections are in a single thread, and moved to the Leisure section of the forum, per my decision earlier today.

spnadmin

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ambarsaria

Ambarsaria Canada
    Expand Collapse
    ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār

spnadmin ji for your reference and if it helps anyone I recreated it based on Google Cache from the following URL which I believe takes it back 3 days or so,

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...phy&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca&client=firefox-a

I used the words in quotes in Google to search for this thread "the meaning of life sikh philosophy"

May be others can do the same for threads of their choice but I found this thread has good discourse.

Sat Sri Akal.

7. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

I could see them in the cache. I think on my end when copying the posts from the deleted thread, which I could see in my cache, to the newer thread, as far as the server software was concerned, these were non-existent. It looks as if you copied them to a word document and then posted; whereas, I was attempting a mass move of posts. Well you got the good dialog going again. I know that Tejwant Singh will be happy about this, too. Thanks so much.

8. Ambarsaria

Ambarsaria Canada
    Expand Collapse
    ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār

Yes I copied to word and then to notepad as I could not copy properly from word to the spn site with all kind of formatting issues. So I decided to keep content versus saving formatting.

Sat Sri Akal.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Scarlet Pimpernel

Scarlet Pimpernel
    Expand Collapse
    We seek him here,we sikh
    SPNer Supporter

qyrI bKs n mytY koeI siqgur kw idlwsw ]2]
    No one can erase Your Blessings; the True Guru has given me this assurance. ||2||
    ||2|| nwmu iDAwiein suK Pl pwiein AwT phr AwrwDih ]
    Those who meditate on the Naam, the Name of the Lord, obtain the fruits of peace.

#8 Scarlet Pimpernel, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2016
  10. Ambarsaria

Ambarsaria Canada
    Expand Collapse
    ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār

Sinner ji thanks for highlighting this shabad. I will try to interpret it with my understanding in "Gurmat Vichar" sometimes in the future. It is very popular and heard Kirtan of the same many a times. Perhaps with superficial and convenient understanding as though it is related to Karma or Kismet.

Sat Sri Akal.

• Like Like x 1
    #9 Ambarsaria, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2016
  11. Scarlet Pimpernel

Scarlet Pimpernel
    Expand Collapse
    We seek him here,we sikh
    SPNer Supporter

Veer Ji, I was reading that page, when the thread got deleted ,seemed very apt ,I did not search for it ,sometimes there is such a thing as an inconvenient truth ,is vichaar in itself enough,can we think our way through Gurbani without faith to the one who created thought,what if vichar is contaminated by our attachment to Maya and does not realisation of the true principle of each page of Gurbani overide our subjective vichar of the line .Perhaps it is realising ,which gives life it's meaning.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Harry Haller

Harry Haller United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

Sinner Veerji

How can give up Maya unless one is alone, and not responsible for others? Especially if the ones we are responsible for still embrace Maya, surely it is better to put Maya into perspective, no?

I am pretty sure we have already established that the 5 thieves are not there to be smitten, but like bleach, to be used with wisdom and when needed

13. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Here some questions to consider Harry ji?

Are we to give up Maya?

Did the Gurusahibhan reject Maya? Or did they say Maya is real?

Can we give up Maya, if Maya is the way we make sense of, encounter, the natural order of life as we live it on the planet, in our limited ways?

Is it the giving up of Maya, or is it taking a different perspective on Maya, that the shabads ask us to consider?

This pauree gives some insight into the answer. Pauree 1 from japji Sahib.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Harry Haller

Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

ok now I feel like a small child at school.....

I dont know miss, I will have to look it up and put my homework in later :happymunda:

• Like Like x 1
  15. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

I added some Gurbani to my earlier statement. :whatzpointkudi:

16. Harry Haller

Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

Spnadminji

You have no idea how much the wife of your granthi has inspired/affected my thinking, before I make an utter fool of myself (again) could you help me out here given my thoughts on her at the time.....

17. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Sure I will do that!

I wanted to add that our Gurus were all married men. They had children. They were betrayed by some of their offspring and they were supported by others. They were surrounded by the politics of the daramsala and the palace. They knew all about Maya and how real it is. So these our Gurus were not strangers to your feelings. :whatzpointsing: :whatzpointsing: :whatzpointsing: :whatzpointsing: :whatzpointsing: :whatzpointsing: :whatzpointsing: :whatzpointsing: :whatzpointsing: :whatzpointsing:

• Like Like x 2
  18. Harry Haller

Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

OK i did have some help, do I get an A

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ambarsaria

Ambarsaria Canada
    Expand Collapse
    ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār

Harry Haller ji as a self appointed :)noticemunda:) lesser qualified and less mannered substitute teacher, I give you an A+.

But remember you will have hard time recalling such Kindergarten class grades later on in life and your schooling peacesign.

Sat Sri Akal.

• Like Like x 1