• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

The Dice Man

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I read the dice man many years ago, it is quite a famous book, and in my view misunderstood by many. Of course different books mean different things to different people, but to me it is far far away from just leaving decision making to a die, it is about the destruction of personality, it is about a complete lack of personality, and as such interests me hugely. One of the most memorable quotes is

"'I'm going now, and you can vote. But remember, you are all potentially chameleons of the spirit, and thus of all the illusions that rob men of their divinity this is the cruelest; to call the rocklike burdensome shell of 'character' and 'individuality' man's greatest development. It's like praising a boat for its anchor.'"
- 'The Dice Man', Luke Rhinehart

In my view, Rhinehart, Hesse, would have all made brilliant Sikhs. They had the understanding, they knew the about the void, the huge gaping hole that exists in all our lives before we surrender our will to something greater, Hesse went mad trying to flip between wolf and man, Rhinehart surrendered himself to the will of chance, believing it to be a superior life than a life of character building, both would have been much happier and content if only they had discovered that rather submit to a life of chance, or integration, all they had to do was submit to the truth.

But the truth changes with time, years ago it was true to have a coloured servant, it was true to colonise, it was true to discriminate against sex, race, yet now, we have let these truths die, at the time they appeared true, but the real truth is true now, next week, and forever, why wait for the real truth to be uncovered by the masses, to be sanctioned, to be authorised, we all know the real truth in our hearts, we do not need politicians to make the truth legal,

We must never forget the truth, it is what rules us, it is what we submit to.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM