• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

The Case For Transliteration Of Gurbani

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
Dear Tejwant Ji

A great analogy and you are off course absolutely correct.

I am starting to get into Wagner who wrote some pretty convoluted operas! At present I am trying to immerse myself in the music and understand the whole

At some point my appreciation will be greatly enhances when I understand the complexities of leitmotifs and polyphonics which is how experts may analyse aspects of these works

But that's at a different level.

How many people may enjoy a classical piece not even knowing it's Wagner in the first place?

I have no doubt many things are lost in translation. You just have to look to thr Bible for that.

Our scriptures though have not been subject to those level of controversies.

There is no doubt that there are so many depths to really understand and internalise and live through.

But the greater loss is not getting even the basics.

So the transliteration concept lends itself to the highest study.

For now, if we can get an excellent translation that is good for me.

But like I said, that's just me

There are countless others who will get more out of Wagner than I do and so the same with SGGS Ji

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Dear Tejwant Ji

A great analogy and you are off course absolutely correct.

I am starting to get into Wagner who wrote some pretty convoluted operas! At present I am trying to immerse myself in the music and understand the whole

At some point my appreciation will be greatly enhances when I understand the complexities of leitmotifs and polyphonics which is how experts may analyse aspects of these works

But that's at a different level.

How many people may enjoy a classical piece not even knowing it's Wagner in the first place?

I have no doubt many things are lost in translation. You just have to look to thr Bible for that.

Our scriptures though have not been subject to those level of controversies.

There is no doubt that there are so many depths to really understand and internalise and live through.

But the greater loss is not getting even the basics.

So the transliteration concept lends itself to the highest study.

For now, if we can get an excellent translation that is good for me.

But like I said, that's just me

There are countless others who will get more out of Wagner than I do and so the same with Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji

Seeker9 ji,

Guru Fateh.

Thanks for your kind words.

Enjoy this Sonata from Wagner which I consider his best which is called 'Alegro con Brio'.

The brilliance and the vision of Wagner was that he composed dramas, not any kind of elevator music. So, in order to appreciate his music truly, one has to find drama in the music itself. Finding drama in the music itself is an amazing journey on its own of one's personal experience.

Once that happens, you will be able to discover the simplicity of "the complexities of leitmotifs and polyphonics" in his music.

Did you know that our two ears can distinguish polyphonics at the same time? It is a remarkable tool Ik Ong Kaar has bestowed upon us.

I think that is what Guru Amardas meant in Anand when he talks about our ears.

Relish it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-FmQ-qxuBg

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/r-FmQ-qxuBg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: