Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Sikh News The big fat Sikh wedding is banned (Times Online)

Discussion in 'Breaking News' started by Sikh News Reporter, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Sikh News Reporter

Sikh News Reporter United States
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor Supporter

Sep 20, 2004
    The big fat Indian wedding has been told to slim down. Leaders of Delhi’s Sikh community have called for an end to lavish wedding celebrations featuring meat and alcohol on the grounds that they encourage the dowry system and female foeticide.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Sikh News No more bling for big fat Indian weddings? (IBN via Yahoo! India News) Breaking News Oct 9, 2007
    Sikh News Say no to big fat Sikh weddings (Montreal Gazette) Breaking News Jul 30, 2007
    Sikh News Leaders call for end to big fat Sikh weddings (Adelaide Now) Breaking News Jul 29, 2007
    Sikh News End big, fat weddings: Sikh leaders (AAP via Yahoo!7 News) Breaking News Jul 29, 2007
    Sikh News CORRECTED-Delhi leaders call an end to big fat Sikh weddings (AlertNet) Breaking News Jul 29, 2007

3. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    This newbie thinks the leaders of the Delhi Sikh community have it right. All discussion about financial and social costs are fundamental. But would someone, anyone, explain why there is alcohol at a Sikh wedding anyway? And if all can be part of the langar that follows as is typical, then a vegetarian meal would seem to be right in line. The leaders of any religion I am familiar with reserve the right to decide what the limits are for any ceremony. For example, a Roman Catholic priest told me recently that he refused to allow a wedding party to appear in the church wearing costumes based on the medieval history of England. His reason: A wedding isn't a costume party. Or am I missing something?