• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Taoism Tao = Waheguru, The Ek Onkar?

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
Itsmaneet ji

Thank you. Your words have been a source of needed guidance.

Guruji uses different examples at different places. For instance water is for being Nirmal/Soft but just being like a water at all time is not accepted. Water too will change it's condition (dry up) when Sun comes out.

Guruji says to be such tht no situation/condition can take your attention away from the Almighty.

Further if you wana get rid of your anxiety/impatience, i wud suggest to recite 'Sukhmani Sahib Ji'. It do works ...
http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Importance_of_sukhmani

Gurfateh !!

itsmaneet

SPNer
Jun 13, 2012
Nagpur, India
recite? or read and understand?
i said it before too .... any beginner would first read (casual/mind running all directions) then recite (repeat the reading) & eventually understand (while reciting will start getting the point what Guruji conveyed to a Sikh) .....

But in Harry Ji's views, understand Gurbani - alone in a room ... without anybody's help ... which for me is bit difficult & am sure is the same for many like me .... but Harry Ji is an exception .... isn't it? ;)

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
i said it before too .... any beginner would first read (casual/mind running all directions) then recite (repeat the reading) & eventually understand (while reciting will start getting the point what Guruji conveyed to a Sikh) .....

But in Harry Ji's views, understand Gurbani - alone in a room ... without anybody's help ... which for me is bit difficult & am sure is the same for many like me .... but Harry Ji is an exception .... isn't it? ;)

I, like most of us, view the SGGS as a living Guru. If I were to have an audience with Guru Nanakji, I would have a million and one questions to ask. In fact, you could not shut me up, I would want to know as much as possible. What I would not do, is start chanting, or reciting huge tracts of Bani, I would want conversation.

Let us take Mool Mantra,

ੴ ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਰਤਾ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ ਅਕਾਲ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਅਜੂਨੀ ਸੈਭੰ ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥
॥ ਜਪੁ ॥
ਆਦਿ ਸਚੁ ਜੁਗਾਦਿ ਸਚੁ ॥ ਹੈ ਭੀ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਹੋਸੀ ਭੀ ਸਚੁ ॥1॥

Transliteration:

Ik oa(n)kaar sath naam karathaa purakh nirabho niravair akaal moorath ajoonee saibha(n) gur prasaadh ॥
॥ jap ॥
aadh sach jugaadh sach ॥ hai bhee sach naanak hosee bhee sach ॥1॥

Essence that I live by:-

Treat all life as you would treat yourself, be truthful and honest in all interaction, in this spirit of equality and honesty, plant your seeds, both in action, thought, and voice, to rid yourself of fear and animosity, but always be true to the part of Creator you have connected with already, have faith and trust that part of you, listen to it, it will never change, it cannot be swayed, it is the truth, apply these concepts to your life, plan your day with these concepts in mind, review your day by these concepts, remember this essence entered into you at birth, remains with you your entire life, and is inside you as long as you exist, on death, this essence lives on, being shared with everything you have interacted with, either physically, emotionally and mentally.

I think if you set the scene, lay the foundations, and see the very essence of Sikhism, as stated in the Mool Mantra, then everything after is jam, it is easier, because you can see where the meanings are headed, you can see what is metaphor, and what is fact, you can see jewels floating on the surface, you can see the arrows pointing to the need to dig deeper. However, I do not see what gain can be had in reading/chanting/reciting/mumbling words at fast speed as a talisman or a magic chant to bring you peace or love. It would not take long for you to read the Mool Mantra and lay your own foundations, get your own litmus testing kit, surely that is time better spent than pointless recitation.

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
I'm reading it in English as translated by Nikki Kuninder Singh Kaur. I think even if I read and study it for a hundred years, I will only have a partial understanding because it has so many Divine Secrets to share. Its beautiful beyond description. I'd like to start a thread on it at some point. Or maybe one exists already.

icecreamkaur

recite? or read and understand?

itsmaneet

SPNer
Jun 13, 2012
Nagpur, India
I, like most of us, view the SGGS as a living Guru. If I were to have an audience with Guru Nanakji, I would have a million and one questions to ask. In fact, you could not shut me up, I would want to know as much as possible. What I would not do, is start chanting, or reciting huge tracts of Bani, I would want conversation.

Let us take Mool Mantra,

ੴ ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਰਤਾ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ ਅਕਾਲ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਅਜੂਨੀ ਸੈਭੰ ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥
॥ ਜਪੁ ॥
ਆਦਿ ਸਚੁ ਜੁਗਾਦਿ ਸਚੁ ॥ ਹੈ ਭੀ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਹੋਸੀ ਭੀ ਸਚੁ ॥1॥

Transliteration:

Ik oa(n)kaar sath naam karathaa purakh nirabho niravair akaal moorath ajoonee saibha(n) gur prasaadh ॥
॥ jap ॥
aadh sach jugaadh sach ॥ hai bhee sach naanak hosee bhee sach ॥1॥

Essence that I live by:-

Treat all life as you would treat yourself, be truthful and honest in all interaction, in this spirit of equality and honesty, plant your seeds, both in action, thought, and voice, to rid yourself of fear and animosity, but always be true to the part of Creator you have connected with already, have faith and trust that part of you, listen to it, it will never change, it cannot be swayed, it is the truth, apply these concepts to your life, plan your day with these concepts in mind, review your day by these concepts, remember this essence entered into you at birth, remains with you your entire life, and is inside you as long as you exist, on death, this essence lives on, being shared with everything you have interacted with, either physically, emotionally and mentally.

I think if you set the scene, lay the foundations, and see the very essence of Sikhism, as stated in the Mool Mantra, then everything after is jam, it is easier, because you can see where the meanings are headed, you can see what is metaphor, and what is fact, you can see jewels floating on the surface, you can see the arrows pointing to the need to dig deeper. However, I do not see what gain can be had in reading/chanting/reciting/mumbling words at fast speed as a talisman or a magic chant to bring you peace or love. It would not take long for you to read the Mool Mantra and lay your own foundations, get your own litmus testing kit, surely that is time better spent than pointless recitation.
Harry Ji

If Gurbani was so easy to understand all wud have been Bramgyanis by now ..... Read & read till Gurbani dwells in your mind & it will then show it's positive effects

Gurfateh!

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Harry Ji

If Gurbani was so easy to understand all wud have been Bramgyanis by now ..... Read & read till Gurbani dwells in your mind & it will then show it's positive effects

Gurfateh!

The beauty of Gurbani is that it was written in a simple and straightforward manner, so that the common man could understand it, and read it, it does not speak in riddles, once you have your own litmus testing kit, it is fairly easy to gain essence, although I find the more you understand, the essence changes to reflect a greater understanding.I suppose those that are Bramgyanis see so much more than I do, but that is not to negate what I can see at this stage, or you could see at your stage, being Punjabi speaking and thinking.

Your comment that one should read and read is possibly the reason you find it difficult to understand, I know from your writings that there are at least three seperate Granths you hold dear, as you have in the past misquoted SGGS, when in fact it was Sabloh Granth that contained the statement you made, could this also be a factor in any lack of understanding?

In any case understanding forms a small part of the deal, after understanding, there is thinking, and after thinking there is acting. Do you know how many lung cancer patients carry on smoking? Lots! why? you may ask, they surely understand more than anyone the dangers of smoking, yet, even though they have this understanding, they refuse to act on it, or embrace it as a thought pattern, that is human nature.

For the record, I have had some assistance in my understanding, although I fail to see how you feel my understanding is anymore than yours, but my own understanding was beaten into me through life, not Bani, it just so happens that Bani validated and agreed with the concepts that I had come to after living most of my life chasing women, money, power and various substances. At some point the chickens come home to roost, and the resulting crash educated me hugely in the ways of the world, and of people.

In my view, take one line from Mool Mantra, live it, and you will be closer to Creation and Creator than a thousand hours reading and reading.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: