• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

1984 Anti-Sikh Pogrom Summoned By Akal Takht, Sarna Brothers Seek Fresh Date

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Summoned by the Akal Takht, the Amritsar-based highest temporal seat of the Sikhs, to appear before it here Monday, Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee (DSGMC) president Paramjit Singh Sarna and his brother sought another date to appear.

After the Sarna brothers failed to appear Monday, the five Sikh high priests, led by Akal Takht jathedar (chief) Gurbachan Singh, accepted their request and fixed August 7 as the next date of their appearance.

'The Sarna brothers have cited personal engagements as the reason for their non-appearance before us today. We have accepted the request and fixed the next date for appearance on August 7,' Gurbachan Singh said Monday.

Paramjit Singh Sarna sent a senior DSGMC official to the Sikh high priests Monday to convey his message on the non-appearance.

The Sarna brothers have been summoned following a complaint by the lawyer of 1984 anti-Sikh riots victims, H.S. Phoolka, saying that he was humiliated by them at a meeting in Delhi recently.

The Sarna brothers were asked to explain their stand on the controversy over Phoolka.

Phoolka, who spearheaded a 26-year-long battle for justice for victims of the 1984 anti-Sikh riots, had last Wednesday offered to quit as the lawyer of riot victim's families after Sarna leveled allegations against him for 'having received crores of rupees for personal benefit'.

In a letter to the Akal Takht, Phoolka said: 'It is not possible for me to continue with the cases.'

'I am conscious that my decision will have an adverse impact on the cases, but my hands are tied. An alternative arrangement be made and a decision be rendered at the earliest so that the community's interest does not suffer,' he said.

Phoolka's decision follows allegations made by Sarna and his brother Harvinder in the July 17 meeting of the committee that he had taken Rs.1.09 crore from the DSGMC.

But Phoolka, who has himself suffered at the hands of rioters who ruled Delhi's streets for three days following the assassination of then prime minister Indira Gandhi Oct 31, 1984, denies the allegation.

http://sify.com/news/summoned-by-ak...eek-fresh-date-news-national-kh0vubdjbia.html

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: