• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib:Shalok That Preceeds 7th Ashtapadee:My Understanding

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Khalsa Ji,

In This post I share my understanding of the Shalok that precedes the 7th Ashtapadee of Sukhmani Sahib.

First the Summary:

In Siri Guru Granth Sahib, Guru Sahib has emphasized the importance of the company of evolved spiritual persons – ‘Saadh-Sangat’. To help Sikhs to be able to spot the real Sadhus and benefit from their company, Guru Sahib in this Ashtapadee educates his disciples regarding the attributes of a real Sadhu. This Shalok is introduction to the Ashtapadee.

1. Agm AgwiD pwrbRhmu soie ] agam agaaDh paarbarahm so-ay.
‘The Sat’ is infinitely constant, unchanging and immeasurable.

My understanding:

Here Guru Sahib tells us that ‘The Sat’ is beyond our perceptions and is the only firm and stable entity.

2. jo jo khY su mukqw hoie ] jo jo kahai so muktaa ho-ay.
All those who talk about ‘The Sat’ get liberated.

My understanding:

In the first line, Guru Sahib has made it clear that we cannot comprehend ‘The Sat’, but through this line he is encouraging his disciples to discuss and ponder over ‘The Sat’. As I understand that such exercise cleanse the mind and helps the person to make progress and advance on the path of spirituality. Such discussion is essential aspect of Saadh-Sangat.

3. suin mIqw nwnku ibnvMqw ] swD jnw kI Acrj kQw ]1] sun meetaa naanak binvantaa. saaDh janaa kee achraj kathaa. ||1||
Nanak pleads with his audience to listen to the wonderful story of Sadhus.

My understanding:

Guru Sahib draws the attention of his audience and reader like us to the subject he is going to elaborate on.

With this I close the post.

With love and respect for all.

Amarpal Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM