• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 6 Sabad 5 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੬ ਸਬਦ ੫

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.
Salok

ਕਾਮ ਕ੍ਰੋਧ ਅਰੁ ਲੋਭ ਮੋਹ ਬਿਨਸਿ ਜਾਇ ਅਹੰਮੇਵ ਨਾਨਕ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਸਰਣਾਗਤੀ ਕਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦੁ ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ੧॥
Kām kroḏẖ ar lobẖ moh binas jā▫e ahaʼnmev. Nānak parabẖ sarṇāgaṯī kar parsāḏ gurḏev. ||1||
Lust, anger, greed, attachment and egotism may banish. O lord creator, Nanak has humbly come to your presence seeking such benevolence.

ਅਸਟਪਦੀ
Asatpaḏī.
Eight stanzas hymn

ਜਿਹ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਕਰਹਿ ਪੁੰਨ ਬਹੁ ਦਾਨ ਮਨ ਆਠ ਪਹਰ ਕਰਿ ਤਿਸ ਕਾ ਧਿਆਨ
Jih parsāḏ karahi punn baho ḏān. Man āṯẖ pahar kar ṯis kā ḏẖi▫ān.
Through whose benevolence be charitable and much benevolent. Mind pay attention to such twenty four hours.

ਜਿਹ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਤੂ ਆਚਾਰ ਬਿਉਹਾਰੀ ਤਿਸੁ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕਉ ਸਾਸਿ ਸਾਸਿ ਚਿਤਾਰੀ
Jih parsāḏ ṯū ācẖār bi▫uhārī. Ŧis parabẖ ka▫o sās sās cẖiṯārī.
Through whose benevolence you do rituals and business. Remember such creator breath after breath.

ਜਿਹ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਤੇਰਾ ਸੁੰਦਰ ਰੂਪੁ ਸੋ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਸਿਮਰਹੁ ਸਦਾ ਅਨੂਪੁ
Jih parsāḏ ṯerā sunḏar rūp. So parabẖ simrahu saḏā anūp.
Through whose benevolence you have beautiful form. Always revere such incomparable creator.

ਜਿਹ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਤੇਰੀ ਨੀਕੀ ਜਾਤਿ ਸੋ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਸਿਮਰਿ ਸਦਾ ਦਿਨ ਰਾਤਿ
Jih parsāḏ ṯerī nīkī jāṯ. So parabẖ simar saḏā ḏin rāṯ.
Through whose benevolence you received high status. Remember such creator day and night.

ਜਿਹ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਤੇਰੀ ਪਤਿ ਰਹੈ ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਜਸੁ ਕਹੈ ੫॥
Jih parsāḏ ṯerī paṯ rahai. Gur parsāḏ Nānak jas kahai. ||5||
Through whose benevolence your honor sustains. Nanak through creator’s grace so describes the virtues.

ESSENCE: In the salok, Guru ji state the five mental attributes that affect living. These being lust, anger, greed, attachment and egotism. Guru ji pray to be blessed so these are banished.

Guru Arjan Dev ji in Astpadi 6, 5th stanza cite blessings in living and form. As to one being a philanthropist or giver, have a great persona, fame and status and sustenance of honor.

Guru ji state to always look out for virtues of such incomparable creator. Remember every moment and with every breath. In a fashion such creator be totally imbued in one’s living.
Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
If you made a few more mistakes, or were a bit more inaccurate, or were barking up the wrong tree, you would get an awful lot more replies you know :)

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
If you made a few more mistakes, or were a bit more inaccurate, or were barking up the wrong tree, you would get an awful lot more replies you know :)
Veer that thought occurred to me quite early on and in quite seriousness. The question that I asked myself was given the Sikh psyche and already enough tendencies to follow wrong versus right and plenty of others doing wrong with intent here that I did not need to use this tool. May be I am wrong in that, but that is how I am as I try to be one in and out in doing this work. Sometimes some of the translations bother me myself as these go against some of my previous understanding. I try to take the bitter pill and continue as much as I can. I am sure I have failed more than once in this too.

My posts are far from perfect if not quite flawed as poetry is impossible to completely translate. One can of course fully understand but not describe it as originally intended.

Now here is some help I need. Over the next 8 to 10 days I will not be able to post or comment daily. So feel free to nail my stuff mundahug but I take all comments or thanks as someone read or cared and not negatively even if I defend aggressively at times. I will appreciate if one (Harry) or all (specially veers Harry, Taranjeet and Kanwaljit in particular can help in describing the essence of sabads) correcting other mistakes as my work will not be as final.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM