• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 4 Sabad 3 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੪ ਸਬਦ ੩

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.
Salok

ਨਿਰਗੁਨੀਆਰ ਇਆਨਿਆ ਸੋ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਸਦਾ ਸਮਾਲਿ ਜਿਨਿ ਕੀਆ ਤਿਸੁ ਚੀਤਿ ਰਖੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਿਬਹੀ ਨਾਲਿ ੧॥
Nirgunī▫ār i▫āni▫ā so parabẖ saḏā samāl. Jin kī▫ā ṯis cẖīṯ rakẖ Nānak nibhī nāl. ||1||
The virtue-less and not knowing one, remember the creator always. Remember the one who created, Guru Nanak, as such will sustain throughout.

ਅਸਟਪਦੀ
Asatpaḏī.
Eight stanzas hymn

ਆਦਿ ਅੰਤਿ ਜੋ ਰਾਖਨਹਾਰੁ ਤਿਸ ਸਿਉ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਕਰੈ ਗਵਾਰੁ
Āḏ anṯ jo rākẖanhār. Ŧis si▫o parīṯ na karai gavār.
One who protects from birth to death. The ignorant does not have amity with one such.

ਜਾ ਕੀ ਸੇਵਾ ਨਵ ਨਿਧਿ ਪਾਵੈ ਤਾ ਸਿਉ ਮੂੜਾ ਮਨੁ ਨਹੀ ਲਾਵੈ
Jā kī sevā nav niḏẖ pāvai. Ŧā si▫o mūṛā man nahī lāvai.
In whose service the nine treasures of the universe are received. The ignorant one does not enjoin his mind with such.

ਜੋ ਠਾਕੁਰੁ ਸਦ ਸਦਾ ਹਜੂਰੇ ਤਾ ਕਉ ਅੰਧਾ ਜਾਨਤ ਦੂਰੇ
Jo ṯẖākur saḏ saḏā hajūre. Ŧā ka▫o anḏẖā jānaṯ ḏūre.
The saviour who is present always here and near. The blind believes such to be afar.

ਜਾ ਕੀ ਟਹਲ ਪਾਵੈ ਦਰਗਹ ਮਾਨੁ ਤਿਸਹਿ ਬਿਸਾਰੈ ਮੁਗਧੁ ਅਜਾਨੁ
Jā kī tahal pāvai ḏargėh mān. Ŧisėh bisārai mugaḏẖ ajān.
The one whose service brings honor in (creator’s) court. Such is forgotten by the ignorant and not knowing.

ਸਦਾ ਸਦਾ ਇਹੁ ਭੂਲਨਹਾਰੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਰਾਖਨਹਾਰੁ ਅਪਾਰੁ ੩॥
Saḏā saḏā ih bẖūlanhār. Nānak rākẖanhār apār. ||3||
Such for ever continues to be forgetful. Guru Nanak, the bountiful sustains.
ESSENCE: In the salok, Guru ji describe ourselves as spoiled children of the creator. Guru ji say that instead one needs to always remember the creator that sustains in all phases of our lives.

Guru Arjan Dev ji in Astpadi 4, 3rd abundance of virtues that the creator displays. One that is there always, birth and death, helps with fulfilling of life. However Guru ji state how the creator is so forgotten through ignorance and thoughts of the proximity of the creator.

Guru ji recognize the benevolence of the creator and state that only such bountiful can help so astray.
Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM