• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 3 Sabad 4 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੩ ਸਬਦ ੪

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.

Salok

ਬਹੁ ਸਾਸਤ੍ਰ ਬਹੁ ਸਿਮ੍ਰਿਤੀ ਪੇਖੇ ਸਰਬ ਢਢੋਲਿ ਪੂਜਸਿ ਨਾਹੀ ਹਰਿ ਹਰੇ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮ ਅਮੋਲ ੧॥
Baho sāsṯar baho simriṯī pekẖe sarab dẖadẖol. Pūjas nāhī har hare Nānak nām amol. ||1||

Many holy books and treatises have been researched. Guru Nanak, nothing comes close to the understanding of the esteemed creator or be so valued.

ਅਸਟਪਦੀ
Asatpaḏī.

Eight stanzas hymn.

ਬਹੁਤੁ ਸਿਆਣਪ ਜਮ ਕਾ ਭਉ ਬਿਆਪੈ ਅਨਿਕ ਜਤਨ ਕਰਿ ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨ ਨਾ ਧ੍ਰਾਪੈ
Bahuṯ si▫āṇap jam kā bẖa▫o bi▫āpai. Anik jaṯan kar ṯarisan nā ḏẖarāpai.

With cleverness comes the fear of demons. Worldly hunger is not satiated despite many efforts.

ਭੇਖ ਅਨੇਕ ਅਗਨਿ ਨਹੀ ਬੁਝੈ ਕੋਟਿ ਉਪਾਵ ਦਰਗਹ ਨਹੀ ਸਿਝੈ
Bẖekẖ anek agan nahī bujẖai. Kot upāv ḏargėh nahī sijẖai.

Trying multitude of religious personifications, the fire of greed is not put out. Millions of methods do not bring you acceptance in creator’s realm.

ਛੂਟਸਿ ਨਾਹੀ ਊਭ ਪਇਆਲਿ ਮੋਹਿ ਬਿਆਪਹਿ ਮਾਇਆ ਜਾਲਿ
Cẖẖūtas nāhī ūbẖ pa▫i▫āl. Mohi bi▫āpahi mā▫i▫ā jāl.

There is no salvation by ascending to the sky or hiding in yonder. Attachment and worldly possessions cast a net.

ਅਵਰ ਕਰਤੂਤਿ ਸਗਲੀ ਜਮੁ ਡਾਨੈ ਗੋਵਿੰਦ ਭਜਨ ਬਿਨੁ ਤਿਲੁ ਨਹੀ ਮਾਨੈ
Avar karṯūṯ saglī jam dānai. Govinḏ bẖajan bin ṯil nahī mānai.

Everything else is dealt with at the calling of death. Nothing is acceptable other than the discoursing of the creator.

ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਤ ਦੁਖੁ ਜਾਇ ਨਾਨਕ ਬੋਲੈ ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਭਾਇ ੪॥
Har kā nām japaṯ ḏukẖ jā▫e. Nānak bolai sahj subẖā▫e. ||4||

Through discourse of understanding the creator, ills are cured. Guru Nanak so states with intuitive ease.

ESSENCE: In the salok, Guru ji sets the objective of discourse in Astpadi 3. In searching the available religious wisdom, following there recommendations, Guru ji state that nothing comes close to the seeking of creator’s understanding.

Guru Arjan Dev ji in Astpadi 3rd, 4th sabad describe how cleverness, becoming of different persona, hiding or visualizing levitating, trying different methodologies all come to naught at the end.

Only through discourse and contemplation does one achieve peace and comfort. Guru ji say it comes through intuitive ease if so sought.
Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited by a moderator:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: