• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 20 Sabad 7 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੨੦ ਸਬਦ ੭

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.
Salok (Core theme of eight sabads/hymns in the Astpadi)

ਫਿਰਤ ਫਿਰਤ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਆਇਆ ਪਰਿਆ ਤਉ ਸਰਨਾਇ ਨਾਨਕ ਕੀ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਬੇਨਤੀ ਅਪਨੀ ਭਗਤੀ ਲਾਇ ੧॥
Firaṯ firaṯ parabẖ ā▫i▫ā pari▫ā ṯa▫o sarnā▫e. Nānak kī parabẖ benṯī apnī bẖagṯī lā▫e. ||1||
Creator, (I) came from wandering and wandering, at your shelter so arrived. Nanak prays, to the creator, attach to contemplation of yourself.

ਅਸਟਪਦੀ
Asatpaḏī.
Eight stanzas hymn

ਪ੍ਰਭ ਬਖਸੰਦ ਦੀਨ ਦਇਆਲ ਭਗਤਿ ਵਛਲ ਸਦਾ ਕਿਰਪਾਲ
Parabẖ bakẖsanḏ ḏīn ḏa▫i▫āl. Bẖagaṯ vacẖẖal saḏā kirpāl.
Merciful creator, benevolent to the poor. Loving of the pious so seeking and benevolent always.

ਅਨਾਥ ਨਾਥ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਗੁਪਾਲ ਸਰਬ ਘਟਾ ਕਰਤ ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਾਲ
Anāth nāth gobinḏ gupāl. Sarab gẖatā karaṯ parṯipāl.
Supporter of the forlorn, so protecting, such sustainer. Nourishing of all bodies.

ਆਦਿ ਪੁਰਖ ਕਾਰਣ ਕਰਤਾਰ ਭਗਤ ਜਨਾ ਕੇ ਪ੍ਰਾਨ ਅਧਾਰ
Āḏ purakẖ kāraṇ karṯār. Bẖagaṯ janā ke parān aḏẖār.
From the beginning in all and creator of all creation. Life support to the pious ones contemplating.

ਜੋ ਜੋ ਜਪੈ ਸੁ ਹੋਇ ਪੁਨੀਤ ਭਗਤਿ ਭਾਇ ਲਾਵੈ ਮਨ ਹੀਤ
Jo jo japai so ho▫e punīṯ. Bẖagaṯ bẖā▫e lāvai man hīṯ.
So and so who seek understanding, such become pure. Guiding the mind to love of contemplation.

ਹਮ ਨਿਰਗੁਨੀਆਰ ਨੀਚ ਅਜਾਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਤੁਮਰੀ ਸਰਨਿ ਪੁਰਖ ਭਗਵਾਨ ੭॥
Ham nirgunī▫ār nīcẖ ajān. Nānak ṯumrī saran purakẖ bẖagvān. ||7||
Me without virtue, low and ignorant. Esteemed creator, Nanak is in your refuge.
ESSENCE: In the salok, Guru ji state that wandering all over I come under creator’s cover. There is just one request that the creator may link me to contemplation of the creator.

Guru Arjan Dev ji in Astpadi 20, 7th sabad describe many a virtues of the creator. Merciful, benevolent, caring of the forlorn, protector, sustainer, creator from the beginning of all creation and a life support to the pious so contemplating. Guru ji state that one’s truly contemplating guide their mind in love.

Guru ji conclude by stating self to be virtue less, low and ignorant and offer self to be humbly at the steps of the creator.
Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: