• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 19 Sabad 6 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੧੯ ਸਬਦ ੬

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.
Salok (Core theme of eight sabads/hymns in the Astpadi)

ਸਾਥਿ ਚਾਲੈ ਬਿਨੁ ਭਜਨ ਬਿਖਿਆ ਸਗਲੀ ਛਾਰੁ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਮਾਵਨਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਇਹੁ ਧਨੁ ਸਾਰੁ ੧॥
Sāth na cẖālai bin bẖajan bikẖi▫ā saglī cẖẖār. Har har nām kamāvanā Nānak ih ḏẖan sār. ||1||
Nothing goes with one except contemplation, all wealth turns to ashes. Creator, creator’s understanding is the only wealth worthy of making.

ਅਸਟਪਦੀ
Asatpaḏī.
Eight stanzas hymn

ਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਮਤਿ ਤੂੰ ਲੇਹਿ ਇਆਨੇ ਭਗਤਿ ਬਿਨਾ ਬਹੁ ਡੂਬੇ ਸਿਆਨੇ
Gur kī maṯ ṯūʼn lehi i▫āne. Bẖagaṯ binā baho dūbe si▫āne.
Grab creator’s wisdom you child. Many wise drowned without contemplation.

ਹਰਿ ਕੀ ਭਗਤਿ ਕਰਹੁ ਮਨ ਮੀਤ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਹੋਇ ਤੁਮ੍ਹ੍ਹਾਰੋ ਚੀਤ
Har kī bẖagaṯ karahu man mīṯ. Nirmal ho▫e ṯumĥāro cẖīṯ.
Dear mind, contemplate upon the creator. Your inner self will so be purified.

ਚਰਨ ਕਮਲ ਰਾਖਹੁ ਮਨ ਮਾਹਿ ਜਨਮ ਜਨਮ ਕੇ ਕਿਲਬਿਖ ਜਾਹਿ
Cẖaran kamal rākẖo man māhi. Janam janam ke kilbikẖ jāhi.
Keep supple feet (of the creator) in your mind. All ill deeds of ages get erased.

ਆਪਿ ਜਪਹੁ ਅਵਰਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਾਵਹੁ ਸੁਨਤ ਕਹਤ ਰਹਤ ਗਤਿ ਪਾਵਹੁ
Āp japahu avrā nām japāvhu. Sunaṯ kahaṯ rahaṯ gaṯ pāvhu.
Contemplate self and have others contemplate. Hearing, saying and living find higher state.

ਸਾਰ ਭੂਤ ਸਤਿ ਹਰਿ ਕੋ ਨਾਉ ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਭਾਇ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਨ ਗਾਉ ੬॥
Sār bẖūṯ saṯ har ko nā▫o. Sahj subẖā▫e Nānak gun gā▫o. ||6||
Creator’s true name is best of all articles. Nanak, in quiet fortitude sings virtues.
ESSENCE: In the salok, Guru ji state that all becomes ashes and the only effort that sustains is contemplation of the creator. Also only wealth worth making is creator’s understanding.

Guru Arjan Dev ji in Astpadi 19, 6th sabad state that the wisdom and the understanding of the creator be sought. In quiet fortitude the creator be so imbued and recognized in the mind, heart and inner self. This will resolve ill deeds and support a state of higher living.

Guru ji conclude that the creator’s recognition is best of any articles so gathered and be so recognized in humble fortitude.
Note: “ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਭਾਇ /quiet fortitude is much emphasized in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. I hope it is recognized and remembered when ever we are led into shouting or loud renditions of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji or any Gurbani. Neither our inner self is hard of hearing nor the creator.

Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM