• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 1 Sabad 4 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੧ ਸਬਦ ੪

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਗਉੜੀ ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਮਃ
Ga▫oṛī sukẖmanī mėhlā 5.
Guru Arjun Dev ji in Raag Gaurhi “Sukhmani”, bliss to mind.

[/FONT]
ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.
ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ
Ik▫oaʼnkār saṯgur parsāḏ.
With blessing of one eternal creator esteemed teacher.
ਆਦਿ ਗੁਰਏ ਨਮਹ ਜੁਗਾਦਿ ਗੁਰਏ ਨਮਹ
Āḏ gur▫e namah. Jugāḏ gur▫e namah.
Respects to the greatest creator originator of all. Respects to the creator of many millennia.
ਸਤਿਗੁਰਏ ਨਮਹ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰਦੇਵਏ ਨਮਹ ੧॥
Saṯgur▫e namah. Sarī gurḏev▫e namah. ||1||
Respects to the eternal truth creator. Respects to the respectful divine creator.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​
Parabẖ kā simran sabẖ ṯe ūcẖā. Parabẖ kai simran uḏẖre mūcẖā.
The pursuit of creator’s understanding, is the highest of all pursuits. In creator’s understanding, salvation is found from failings.
Parabẖ kai simran ṯarisnā bujẖai. Parabẖ kai simran sabẖ kicẖẖ sujẖai.
In creator’s understanding, worldly selfish pursuits are quenched. In creator’s understanding, all becomes clearer.
Parabẖ kai simran nāhī jam ṯarāsā. Parabẖ kai simran pūran āsā.
In creator’s understanding, the fears of death personas. In creator’s understanding, the hopes are recognized.
Parabẖ kai simran man kī mal jā▫e. Amriṯ nām riḏ māhi samā▫e.
In creator’s understanding, the mind is cleaned of dirt. The heart gets drenched with the pure understanding of the creator.
Parabẖ jī basėh sāḏẖ kī rasnā. Nānak jan kā ḏāsan ḏasnā. ||4||
The creator is recognized in every utterance of the tongue of the pious. Guru Nanak is at service to such pious followers of the creator.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​
ESSENCE: Guru ji in the salok first offer respects to the creator as originator, time immemorial, truth and divine.

In this Fourth Shabad of First Astpadi, Guru ji describe that pursuit of creator’s understanding is noblest of all endeavors. It quenches, it unravels, it de-demonizes, it provides fulfillment, it cleanses and creates a pure heart. Guru ji treats the pious with utmost cordiality and respect for such pursuits.
Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

Attachments

• sukhmani sahib.jpg
    sukhmani sahib.jpg
    8.9 KB · Reads: 323
Last edited by a moderator:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Ambarsaria ji,

Guru Fateh.

So, once we take the blinders off, we can observe, absorb and cultivate ourselves to be better humans and when we become better humans, our contribution to the society becomes positive.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Tejwant Singh veer ji very well said.

What is written by Guru ji is that when you enrich your intellect with creator's understanding much benefit is achieved. In your family life, in your work, in your relationships, etc.

Also, it isn't the pursuit of finding the creator, merging with one (we are never un-merged to start in my humble opinion), or finding salvation from life and death cycle. For example Guru Nanak Dev ji passed away in 1539. Is he still alive in 2011? Of course he is in millions of hearts. This is the level or target that is meant in Gurbani in terms of breaking the circle or getting out of the cycle of life and death.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2010
AMBARSARIA Ji,
I think it would be stiil better if you can write the meaning of each and every word along with its grammatical indication to extract the correct meanings of different lines.
This can result in such an interpretation which no one has done so far very sincerely.
In fact I was expecting something like this thru your wisdom and skill of interpretation.
I hope you can look into this.
Prakash.S.Bagga

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
AMBARSARIA Ji,
I think it would be stiil better if you can write the meaning of each and every word along with its grammatical indication to extract the correct meanings of different lines.
This can result in such an interpretation which no one has done so far very sincerely.
In fact I was expecting something like this thru your wisdom and skill of interpretation.
I hope you can look into this.
Prakash.S.Bagga
Prakash.s.bagga ji thanks for your post. I have been quite comfortable with Prof. Sahib Singh ji's Darpan and S. Manmohan Singh ji's Teeka. However I do find difficulty too even with these two sources. To tackle this I use the Vyakaaran and Mahan Kosh. I keep track of some of the difficult interpretations and keep a record for self. At the end of the day I will be happy to share it the way I saved it. It is not pretty and well formatted but if someone wants it at the end of the full translation of Sukhmani Sahib I will share. If there is a specific mention of specific words we can definitely review.

In this context I will review all you comment and respond in time. I appreciate such comments as positives.

Sat Sri Akal.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Amabarsaria ji,

Guru Fateh.

You write:

Also, it isn't the pursuit of finding the creator, merging with one (we are never un-merged to start in my humble opinion), or finding salvation from life and death cycle. For example Guru Nanak Dev ji passed away in 1539. Is he still alive in 2011? Of course he is in millions of hearts. This is the level or target that is meant in Gurbani in terms of breaking the circle or getting out of the cycle of life and death.

I agree. As mentioned many times before, one can never unmerge from thei omnipresence. If one did, then it defeats the purpose of the Omnipresent Ik Ong Kaar.

As far as salvation from life and death is concerned, when my daughter Jaskeerat was 12, (she is 21 now). She shared her take on it which I happen to agree with.

First, Salvation is used in Abrahamic religions and it is only needed where love is absent. It is a carrot and stick trick laced with fear.

Now, what Jaskeerat said, and I am paraphrasing it now that as Sikhs we are reborn the moment we learn something new in our lives, and hence the past dies with it.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: