• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sri Guru Granth Sahib: Review Of ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ (nirvair)

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Part of a series to review ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਰਤਾ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ ਅਕਾਲ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਅਜੂਨੀ ਸੈਭੰ ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥/Ik▫oaʼnkār saṯ nām karṯā purakẖ nirbẖa▫o nirvair akāl mūraṯ ajūnī saibẖaʼn gur parsāḏ.

ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ

Phonetics:

ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ (nirvair)

ArQ/ Meaning:

ArQ:ਉਹ (ਕਿਸੇ ਦਾ ) ਵੈਰੀ ਨਹੀਂ , ਉਸ ਦੇ ਦਿੱਲ ਵਿੱਚ ਕਿਸੇ ਲਈ ਵੈਰ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੈ

Meaning: Creator, holds no animosity against anyone or anything.

Application: Guru ji use a common human emotion of ਵੈਰੁ/ animosity to qualify the creator. The creator holds no grudge, does no favoritism, gives no punishment or retribution and moreover, none of such ever translates into animosity of creator towards anyone or anything.

It does not feel that way sometimes. One dearest to you dies or gets sick, you lose your job, one dearest to you leaves you, you lose your life’s belongings in flood or fire, the earthquake destroys many lives, the floods wipe out much, and so on.

It sure feels like the creator is getting back at us in such situations (ਐਂ ਲਗਦਾ ਜਿਵੇਂ ਰੱਬ ਬਦਲਾ ਲੈ ਰਿਹਾ ਹੁੰਦਾ). How to understand and reconcile through all this?

Creator and creation “is” and “does” but we want things “to be”. The pain, hurt feelings, sorrow, disappointment come from the gap of understanding. So the solution is to get or develop understanding. There is an easy way to simply hold a belief and assign it to Karma and destiny. In such an approach, the mindset gets resigned to acceptance and belief without understanding or agreeing, one stops making the effort to understand, ignorance and darkness starts to dwell in us and in Sikhism we start being less of a Sikh. It is much easier said than done and I personally know that too. But the choice is ours to let darkness creep in or let the light in.

Comments welcome and all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
One creator present as one essence everywhere, whose name is the truth, architect of the universe, who has no fear, and no hate

I think this is a hugely important concept, what happens on earth to you, and your nearest and dearest is creation slowly evolving and moving forward, it is not personal, it is not directed at you, it is caused by actions that may have been set in place lifetimes ago, it is the natural order, the natural progression of life, birth, life, death, without favoritism , I wonder if you could in fact change no hate to no feeling at all, after all, Creator is not the abrahamic god that some people worship and hope for a nod or a wink, or fear a tut and a wagging finger, Creator watches us play our game in our way without interference, Creator does not even set the rules, our Gurus gave us the information we need to win the game, to find the yellow brick road, there is no jadoo, no easy way, no incantations, rituals, we cannot get the Creator on our side by behaving in a certain way, or lauding Creator, or promising Creator we will do such and such, the rules are very simple, you are working to be part of creation, or you are against it, claiming you are best friends with Creator and have a golden ticket is the abrahamic way, as Sikhs, we cherish Creator, and thank Creator for the benefit of wisdom and reason, for the living Guru that we sit in front of to receive our instruction in the school of life, it is right the Creator should be impersonal, it means we can concentrate more on the lesson than trying to give the teacher apples and basking in the pat on the head

manjeetk15

SPNer
Nov 26, 2011
One creator present as one essence everywhere, whose name is the truth, architect of the universe, who has no fear, and no hate

I think this is a hugely important concept, what happens on earth to you, and your nearest and dearest is creation slowly evolving and moving forward, it is not personal, it is not directed at you, it is caused by actions that may have been set in place lifetimes ago, it is the natural order, the natural progression of life, birth, life, death, without favoritism , I wonder if you could in fact change no hate to no feeling at all, after all, Creator is not the abrahamic god that some people worship and hope for a nod or a wink, or fear a tut and a wagging finger, Creator watches us play our game in our way without interference, Creator does not even set the rules, our Gurus gave us the information we need to win the game, to find the yellow brick road, there is no jadoo, no easy way, no incantations, rituals, we cannot get the Creator on our side by behaving in a certain way, or lauding Creator, or promising Creator we will do such and such, the rules are very simple, you are working to be part of creation, or you are against it, claiming you are best friends with Creator and have a golden ticket is the abrahamic way, as Sikhs, we cherish Creator, and thank Creator for the benefit of wisdom and reason, for the living Guru that we sit in front of to receive our instruction in the school of life, it is right the Creator should be impersonal, it means we can concentrate more on the lesson than trying to give the teacher apples and basking in the pat on the head
Dear Mr. Harry Haller,

It seems you are a deep follower of gurubani. Your views are too good and your english is too good. I fully agree that "it is right the Creator should be impersonal, it means we can concentrate more on the lesson than trying to give the teacher apples and basking in the pat on the head." Guru bani and Guru granth sahib teachings are marvellous. I have great fascination for Guru Nanak Dev Ji's simple teachings and his spirituality. (From Manjeet, Mumbai).

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: