• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikhs Following Hindu Customs . Why Are We So Foolish And Whats This Guilt About ?

Seeker2013

Writer
SPNer
Aug 29, 2013
So, today, on the first day of navratri, my parents really had to bring a garland of flowers and put it on the front door just to show our hindoo neighbors we're so 'secular' , 'warm' , 'always for them' and ofcourse one garland for the IDOL OF GURU NANAK on top of the door !
Heck, weren't we sikhs created as a bodyguard by and for the hindus

yes , thats how foolish we have become . Making idols and worshiping of the guru (Nanak dev ji) who told us not to worship stones. No wonder Einstein said human stupidity is boundless !
I tell you ravidasias do the same thing .

Now I tell you our hindoo neighbors don't really reciprocate with the same feeling. They don't put a garland on their doors on baisakhi , Gurpurab, etc .

I wonder why !?

Why this one sided display of "FUKAR-PUNA" by our kaum ? why can't we say "yes, we're not hindus and no its not diwali for us, its bandi chhor diwas and no ,lakshmi is not invited"

PS : sorry if anyone's feeling is hurt

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
I agree, so many Sikhs seem to follow Hindu customs and superstitions. There is a lack of education and understanding of what our Gurus taught us, and what Sikhism is all about. At the end of the day, its easier and much more straightforward to simply worship some idol, than to turn inward and find God within us. Sikhism is so very spiritual and philosophical, it requires critical thinking, and deep reflection to attain "enlightenment." For most, this is something very challenging. Its easier to simply follow empty rituals like making sure you go to Church every Sunday, and making sure you worship this stone today, for people to feel like they are "pleasing" God.

On the other hand, as Sikhs, our Gurus taught us to be tolerant and to respect others. So is it really wrong to do so? This is what Sikhism is about - tolerance, and acceptance towards all. At the same time, we also need to understand our own traditions, educate ourselves, and own them, and not be afraid to stand out, and be able to say to others "yes, we're not hindus and no its not diwali for us, its bandi chhor diwas." We can say that, and at the same time, accept the traditions of others, without being enveloped by them.

Seeker2013

Writer
SPNer
Aug 29, 2013
I nowhere said sikhs cannot respect other's customs.
Sikhs have always more than respected other religions. Maharaja Ranjit Singh, for instance donated 1000 kilo golds to kashi vishwanath temple and he also funded mosques.
Hindus and Muslims don't do that . But still my parents are of opinion that we should bow as a sign of "respect" when passing nearby a temple . Note, my parents dont have same sentiments towards muslims, whom they are often bad-mouthing and calling them "bad people".

What a biased view of sikh history we have ! Looks like hindu media has totally brainwashed urban sikhs

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
What a biased view of sikh history we have ! Looks like hindu media has totally brainwashed urban sikhs

I agree, there are biases in views. And this in itself goes against Sikhism, as it is not practicing tolerance and understanding. Its so easy to stereotype people and groups and make assumptions about them. We have to learn to constantly question our assumptions.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: