Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Sikhs cutting their hair.

Discussion in 'New to Sikhism' started by Ozarks, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Ozarks

Ozarks
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

This article was written in 2007 and so isn't exactly hot-off-the-presses, but I have read similar posts on other sites and wanted to know more about how the topic is viewed. I assume that the Sikhs who are cutting are not Khalsa*, so I guess that would leave them to be Sahajdhari? Can the Sahajdhari pick-and-choose what among the 5-Ks they choose to keep?

* However in a recent episode of Weapons Masters on the chakram they had several people who were suppose to be Sikhs who were clean shaven. (You can see the episode on YouTube.) I do not know that they were in fact Khalsa however.

The article

Amritsar Journal
    Young Sikh Men Get Haircuts, Annoying Their Elders

[​IMG] Alexandra Jones for The International Herald Tribune
    At a turban clinic run by a Sikh heritage group, Karan Singh, 15, wrapped his head with the help of Jaswinder Singh.

By AMELIA GENTLEMAN
    Published: March 29, 2007

AMRITSAR, India — The day Jugraj Singh, at age 14, abandoned his turban and had a lifetime’s growth of hair cut off, he collected the tresses from the barbershop floor and packed them into a plastic bag. Then he threw the bag into a river flowing out of Amritsar, the spiritual home of the Sikhs.

More at this link: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/29/world/asia/29turban.html?_r=1

#1 Ozarks, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2009
  2. Loading...