Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Atheism Sikhism vs. Atheism

Discussion in 'Interfaith Dialogues' started by ax0547, Nov 8, 2008.

1. ax0547

ax0547
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Recently, I have been watching videos of Hawkins and few other atheists. When comparing their point of view to how God is explained in sikhi, I see that we both are taling regarding same but they say it's evolution that fuctioning and we say it's god? What are your viewpoints?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Atheism Sikhism and Atheism Interfaith Dialogues Dec 5, 2015
    Atheism Is Atheism Compatible With Sikhism Interfaith Dialogues May 15, 2012
    Atheism Sikhism and Atheism: A Philosophical Discourse Interfaith Dialogues Jun 29, 2009
    Interfaith Religion In Sikhism Interfaith Dialogues Wednesday at 7:50 PM
    Hard Talk Is Sikhism A Organised 'religion' ? And If So Is That Antithetical To The Teaching Of Gurmat? Hard Talk Nov 27, 2016

3. BhagatSingh

BhagatSingh Canada
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer sikhiart.com

According to my understanding, God in Sikhism is both Nirgun and Sargun (no attributes and all attributes, respectively). This means that if "existence" is an attribute then God exists and does not exist. I believe this viewpoint was used by Guru Nanak to bring everyone together because no matter what you believe, it is included in the sargun/ nirgun concept. And that includes atheists,etc.
    Sikhs say God is the cause of everything, surely, evolution must be included in that. Although, SGGS does not explicitly say evolution is why we are here (as per my understanding), but it does not say evolution cannot be possible. So while, atheists say that that evolution is the cause, we say God caused evolution.

Fateh!

• Like Like x 1