• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikhism On Bugs?

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Dear RandipJi,
Thank you for replying to my post. I know that I am a product of too many Paths. I have studied so many religions at this point that they all seem to run into each other. That is truly the problem. I've studied religion to the point of weariness. Spiritual weariness. If I am to be a Sikh then I do need to study this more closely as I am ignorant. :seriouskudi:
Thank you again Randip SinghJi

My dear Signey, I hope you find what you are looking for.

If it is of any consequence, after 20 years of studying Sikhism only in the last 3 to 4 years have I realised that Sikh concepts are radically different from those of Hinduiam and other faiths.

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Seeker9 ji,

I would like to offer some observations in reply:

Quote: I wrote also that pain and death is caused by one’s own karma. If I killed you, ‘I’ am not the cause of your death. I will reap the fruits of my own actions which may include being killed prematurely many, many times in future existences. However, the actual cause of your own death would be your own past deeds. This is the only real law of cause and effect existing here.

Seeker9:
I really don't know much about the workings of Karma but would hypothesise that in the unfortunate circumstance you were to put a double-barrel shot gun to my forehead and shoot, the chances of my survival would be slim indeed. This is on the basis of physiology and not Karma.

I would think so too. It is highly unlikely that anyone would survive being shot by a double-barrel gun on the head.

The workings of karma is considered one of the unthinkables and can drive us to madness if we try to figure out how it works and which action a particular experience must have been a result of. However we *can* develop an understanding with regard to the different kinds of experiences, beginning with distinguishing ones that are of the nature of result from those of the nature of cause. Death can’t be known directly in the same way that other kinds of mental phenomena which arise in a day can. However, based on the understanding of experiences in general, we can understand that it must be a mental reality and is resultant.

My killing you, as I said, is only a conventional idea. In reality, it is the intention rooted in strong aversion which caused me to pull the trigger; and this is actually karma which will bring its appropriate results. Having pulled the trigger, no one can say if you’d actually die, and at which instance. You may be critically wounded and not die, or even if you did, the gap between the moment that the bullet hit your brain and the actual death-consciousness arising, there must be countless instances of consciousness of both the nature of cause and that of result.

As humans we are in a plane of existence where consciousness cannot arise without a physical base. We can’t deny also, that the brain is a vital organ of the human body. If it is damaged, it causes many problems, and when enough, this body becomes unsustainable. This is within the realm of material phenomena, one which is related to a particular set of mental phenomena. We can therefore say that the physical is “support condition†for the mental phenomena. And these physical bases have other material realities as further support and somewhere there is the role of this concept we call ‘brain’. However, we should not mix these different phenomena together in a way that we then confuse causes / resultants with conditionality and come up with wrong ideas.

If death is a mental phenomenon and is result of some cause in the past, we can’t at the same time then say that the damage in the brain is the “cause†of the death? Again just to remind, we need to distinguish between conventional ideas about cause and effect from that which takes place at the level of ultimate reality. And in this case we can say that the conditions within this particular body for the arising of consciousness constituting “life†ceases, which include experiences through all the senses as well as the mind, but this is not because of the damage in the brain, but because of death.

This is probably not very convincing to you, since it requires a change of perspective at very basic levels of perception and thinking about one’s experiences.

I would therefore suggest that Karma could account for you being in that position in the first place, perhaps as repayment of a karmic debt whereby I had done you a grave injustice in a former life. Just another interpretation...

Yes and no. Yes in the sense of my experiences must no doubt constitute moments of causes as well as those that are resultant. No, because my being in any particular place must include my having decided to get there and the efforts to do so, and although this is conditioned, it is not pre-determined. Actually, nothing is pre-determined, not even the results of karma. Theses arise by a complex set of conditions, and those that are from the past are only a part of it.

And I wouldn’t tie my present actions with yours in the past; otherwise there will be no end to this ‘revenge-like’ phenomenon. My aversion could in a way be said to have simply found its object, in other words killing you was not because you killed me in the past, but because I have so much strong aversion and instead of you, it could have found an object in anyone else. Your receiving the result likewise, could have been via someone else’s action and not mine.

Quote: the tsunami killed 20,000 people.

I am focussing on this in particular as I have never been able to understand the concept of collective Karma. I would appreciate your views on this

Of course you will not understand and why should you? This idea about ‘collective karma’ can only be a case of misperception and wrong understanding.

Things happen, and in this case the tsunami. And just as in my explanation about the brain, we can understand that a great many people were deprived of the ‘support conditions’ for the continuation of life. There is nothing predetermined about this and neither is it random and without cause. And it is the same had it been just one individual who died from the incident. And in the end the phenomena is the same whether it is a tsunami, earthquake, car accident or slipping in the bathroom.

The falling back on the idea of ‘collective karma’ is probably due to the individual’s tendency to think in terms of determinism, if so, this is understandable if the only other option is belief in chaos and denial of causality. However there is also this idea about karma and that of conditionality that could be taken into consideration!...?

Quote: We continue to tell ourselves that we are concerned about other people, but the truth is that it was about me, mine and I all the way through.

That is one way of interpreting it. I would say I consult a moral compass and try and do what I think is right so I can be content that I did the right thing. Which is similar to what you said but without the implication of being conceited I think...

The point I’m trying to make is that if genuine kindness was behind our dealings with other people and we did understand its value, then there should be no doubt as to what the right course of action is, when faced with the question about pests. Moral actions can arise due to accumulated habit; however we may need to also encourage more kindness which will then act as a stronger basis for more moral actions to arise. Better still, if there is direct understanding into the nature of moral restraint, since here the motivation would then be good for its own sake without a need to be convinced by any kind of reasoning.

Quote: Perhaps it is not about choosing to be kind to one and not to the other; it could be that the tendency to kindness exists but no real understanding of what it really is.

Seeker9:
One's upbringing and education will impact on their individual moral compass ....

But one can always do better and should do. We may need to be aware of the overwhelming ignorance that is still there and be motivated to understand better all our experiences.

Quote: It is in seeing the value of kindness that kindness arises regardless of whom and to what. The perception of other beings acts more as a reminder to develop the particular quality which one knows to be of value. Along with this is seeing harm in its opposite, namely ill-will, and this acts as a further motivation.

Seeker9:
Okay, fair enough

Quote: Indeed one has to be wary of the near-enemy of kindness which is what we usually have towards those who are near and dear, and this is selfish-affection. Of the two, this latter is the more dangerous, since it comes across as good

Seeker9:
Please elaborate as I do not understand this bit

The far enemy of kindness is cruelty and ill-will, whereas its near enemy is attachment or selfish-affection. The former is seen as undesirable even to those under the influence of the latter. However when attachment is what defines our relationship with family and friends, this comes across as a good thing. This is so especially when hatred has been judged as undesirable and seen as standing opposite to the attachment. While hatred is accompanied by unpleasant feelings, attachment, the same as kindness, is with neutral or pleasant feelings. This is what makes these two ‘near’, although enemies. Also attachment has many forms and intensities and therefore quite easily appears as good to those of us who know only the grosser forms of it. Besides, aversion arises because we do not get what we are attached to or get what we do not like. All these factors combine in making attachment then, much more dangerous than aversion or hatred.

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Ishna ji,

I was going with the notion of karma described by Confused as part of my discussion with them. I don't know much about karma, myself. I don't get into the mystical stuff too much -- I'm too much of a skeptic. I prefer logic and garden-variety good deeds. Whatever else happens is not up to me, I figure.

If you read the message to Seeker9 ji that I’ve just sent, you may now get a different impression about Karma. Actually you are closer to appreciating it than you realize, since in another message you have expressed appreciation about the role of ‘intention’ in moral deeds. The reason I say this is because, intention or volition is that which performs the function of “willing†and this is exactly the reality of Karma. Intention to kill, intention to mislead, intention to steal and intention to hurt all are karma. Although it is only when the intensity is great enough and the action completed, that it gives rise to results in the future.

I am guessing that the reason you had reservations with regard to karma in the past is because of the way it has been presented to you. Of course it is not about believing or not believing, but I hope that what I’ve said will encourage you to investigate your experiences, including those ‘garden-variety good deeds’ with this new understanding about the concept.

Confused ji, thanks for taking the time to respond. I can't give a good reply right now, except to say that, in the case of the river and the pest fish, the fish was introduced by humans 100-odd years ago so they could eat it. It is decimating the ecosystem of the river, making it impossible for the native fish to breed and survive.

It does not matter Ishna ji. This and all such explanations come across more like justifications to act out the inherent aversion. You will probably disagree with me and even be put off by my sense of values, but let me state this. This whole concern about the ecosystem and the environment is ‘worldliness’ to the max. It is fine that we have an interest in the particular field of study, but being influenced by the values set by others based on what has been judged as more appropriate for the environment etc., is to be taken in by man-made values set at a particular point in time. If we are not firm in our understanding about morality and other kinds of good, which are in fact universal and timeless, we are easily influenced then by the value system of the times.

This is the path of ignorance which leads to much mischief. Ignorance is ignorant of the reality of the moment, in this case, not seeing the wrongness of killing a group of animals, while appealing to a set of values conceived of to justify an urge to a particular course of action.

Personally, I think non-action is as detrimental to the soul as killing innocent critters.

You mean one must be proactive with regard to good deeds? What of restraint from killing, lying, stealing, sexual misconduct and so on? Are they not very positive actions that do not require being observed by other people? And what if they in fact arise at the very instance when you are killing for the sake of greater good? And what about wisdom, is this not the highest good? What if wisdom arose and saw the ignorance, attachment, aversion, conceit, and wrong understanding involved in the whole activity of being proactive and trying to save humanity or whatever?

This is all a game we play Ishna ji. It is not enough that our aversion finds an object to act upon, but we feel the need to go on and make it all appear as a good thing. There is no end to the ignorance and there is no end to the number of objects on which our attachment will attach and the wrong understanding making it all appear as good and right.

One flash of understanding I had a few years ago, is that all these teachings about morality and other kinds of good is not meant to be proliferated upon such that I then seek to apply them. It would be missing the point to go by a self-created situation in which some people are judged as good while others are bad, or even that some group of people out there are in need of my assistance, and then going out and trying to do good. This is actually ambition, only in this case is aimed at merit, but in fact can’t be good at all.

I'm not sure I agree with the idea regarding animals and death. They might only be able to conceive that they are in pain and they want to survive, but the human is able to conceive they are in pain and are going to die anyway so why not spare them further pain? That is called mercy and I value mercy very highly, personally.

So if someone wants to commit suicide, why not sympathize with him and believe his reasons and help by pushing him to his death quickly? But we shouldn’t of course, and why?

The person who wants to die is reacting to the unpleasantness he is experiencing and is in fact craving for pleasant experiences. He imagines that things won’t get better, but the truth is that he can’t really be certain, so at the back of his mind there will still be doubts. And of course he is totally ignorant about karma and its workings. He doesn’t understand first of all, the harm in aversion and that his acting it out is going to result in some unpleasant experience no different from what he is experiencing now. And if he places himself in a position where someone else will have to do the dirty job for him, he is acting as a catalyst for the other person’s wrong deed. What he doesn’t know also, is that he *will* be reborn after his death and most likely in a lower realm, which then amounts to giving up this precious birth as a human being in exchange for one which is quite hopeless.

I believe the problem is that those who think this way are motivated by a nihilistic outlook. This in itself is encouraging rejection of morality. A person may have other basis for good moral conduct, but if he allows himself to be influenced over and again by this kind of outlook, he will end up being very self-centred and immoral. And I’m sure you’d not want that to happen.

If you can’t yet believe in life beyond this one, at least you can see that this concept about karma makes this present life itself better both for you as well as those around you, right? If you agree, then I urge you, please don’t dismiss it. Don’t allow yourself to be influenced by arguments which have no basis in any kind of truth, but values set by individuals who have absolutely no wisdom.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Confused ji

Thank you again for taking the time to reply. I am not so good with deep philosophical conversation but I'll try my best to reply. I'm also aware of the thread topic and will try not to take the discussion further away from it.

...intention or volition is that which performs the function of “willing†and this is exactly the reality of Karma. Intention to kill, intention to mislead, intention to steal and intention to hurt all are karma. Although it is only when the intensity is great enough and the action completed, that it gives rise to results in the future.

Yes, I agree with your description.

I am guessing that the reason you had reservations with regard to karma in the past is because of the way it has been presented to you. Of course it is not about believing or not believing, but I hope that what I’ve said will encourage you to investigate your experiences, including those ‘garden-variety good deeds’ with this new understanding about the concept.

My reservations about karma come from concurrance with your earlier statement to Seeker9 that we can drive ourselves mad thinking about the workings of karma. Karma itself doesn't seem to feature prominently in Gurbani which is where I try to get my spiritual understanding from (slowly). The impression I get from Gurbani is that karma is a mechanism which exists, but we should not preoccupy ourselves with it. My understanding is that if we assimilate the spiritual wisdom, mental attitude and way of life taught by Gurbani and the example of our Gurus, we're on the right track. Whatever happens, happens, and I try to accept that.

It does not matter Ishna ji. This and all such explanations come across more like justifications to act out the inherent aversion. You will probably disagree with me and even be put off by my sense of values, but let me state this. This whole concern about the ecosystem and the environment is ‘worldliness’ to the max. It is fine that we have an interest in the particular field of study, but being influenced by the values set by others based on what has been judged as more appropriate for the environment etc., is to be taken in by man-made values set at a particular point in time. If we are not firm in our understanding about morality and other kinds of good, which are in fact universal and timeless, we are easily influenced then by the value system of the times.

This is the path of ignorance which leads to much mischief. Ignorance is ignorant of the reality of the moment, in this case, not seeing the wrongness of killing a group of animals, while appealing to a set of values conceived of to justify an urge to a particular course of action.

The impression I get from my learning about Sikhi so far, is that we are not supposed to withdraw from the world. We are to keep our attachment to the world in check. We are in fact encouraged to engage with the world. All of creation is an emanation of the Divine, why should we hold an aversion to it? It will all pass away, and so we shouldn't become attached with it.

As humans with our perceived higher intelligence compared with other sentient life forms on our planet, and our opposable thumbs which enable us to use tools to interact with our planet in a more complex way than other critters, coupled with our sense of morals, most people will find a sense of responsibility for our environment.

I feel great aversion when people mess with the natural order of things, injecting their man-made ideas into naturalness. For example, taking the horns off of elephants for the ivory and deforestation. If us pesky humans would leave it all alone, it would run beautifully. Humans come along, stick our greedly fingers in and everything falls out of balance. So when I see that humans have messed with the natural order of a river by bringing in fish from another hemisphere, and the fish is causing widespread environmental damage, killing trees, other fish, polluting the waterway, I feel the correct thing to do is to remove the introduced pest.

If someone sticks an arrow into the side of a deer, and the deer is limping around in pain, is it not logical that the right thing to do is to remove the arrow and restore the deer to health? I feel that should be the only consideration, not wondering "is this some expression of karma" or "what will happen to my karma if I remove the arrow?" or "I will generate good karma by removing the arrow, yay!". You do what is right and good then and there.

Another example would be if there is a grasshopper in your office and your co-worker is about to kill it, do you sit by and allow it to happen, fully conscious that you could get up and preserve it's life with no problems? By consciously choosing to stay on your chair and watch when you are fully capable of interceding, is that not wrong? You could rationalise it by saying "my co-worker is interacting with karma, it's his problem not mine". I would disagree.

You mean one must be proactive with regard to good deeds? What of restraint from killing, lying, stealing, sexual misconduct and so on? Are they not very positive actions that do not require being observed by other people? And what if they in fact arise at the very instance when you are killing for the sake of greater good? And what about wisdom, is this not the highest good? What if wisdom arose and saw the ignorance, attachment, aversion, conceit, and wrong understanding involved in the whole activity of being proactive and trying to save humanity or whatever?

I'm sorry but I don't understand this paragraph. I will say it's not about saving humanity though. Humanity will do it's own thing and does a good job of screwing itself and everything else up. I'm only interested in trying to see the way to good and going for it for the sake of good.

This is all a game we play Ishna ji. It is not enough that our aversion finds an object to act upon, but we feel the need to go on and make it all appear as a good thing. There is no end to the ignorance and there is no end to the number of objects on which our attachment will attach and the wrong understanding making it all appear as good and right.

One flash of understanding I had a few years ago, is that all these teachings about morality and other kinds of good is not meant to be proliferated upon such that I then seek to apply them. It would be missing the point to go by a self-created situation in which some people are judged as good while others are bad, or even that some group of people out there are in need of my assistance, and then going out and trying to do good. This is actually ambition, only in this case is aimed at merit, but in fact can’t be good at all.

A very good point, Confused ji. It is hard to know what is good and right, and our personal greed, attachment and ego will always get in the way and could very well confuse your mind to think "do this... it's the good thing to do..." when in fact you've been fooled into doing what might not actually be good to gain something, or for your own personal satisfaction. That's why we have to keep coming back to Gurbani and drumming the message into our mind to bring ourselves in harmony to be able to figure out what is truly good. I will conceed, I'm sure that sometimes the greater good would be to not do anything at all. We can only pray for the wisdom to know the difference!

So if someone wants to commit suicide, why not sympathize with him and believe his reasons and help by pushing him to his death quickly? But we shouldn’t of course, and why?

The person who wants to die is reacting to the unpleasantness he is experiencing and is in fact craving for pleasant experiences. He imagines that things won’t get better, but the truth is that he can’t really be certain, so at the back of his mind there will still be doubts. And of course he is totally ignorant about karma and its workings. He doesn’t understand first of all, the harm in aversion and that his acting it out is going to result in some unpleasant experience no different from what he is experiencing now. And if he places himself in a position where someone else will have to do the dirty job for him, he is acting as a catalyst for the other person’s wrong deed. What he doesn’t know also, is that he *will* be reborn after his death and most likely in a lower realm, which then amounts to giving up this precious birth as a human being in exchange for one which is quite hopeless.

My example was about an animal for a reason. Humans are more complicated and takes the discussion away from the topic I think. Animals are closer to bugs, I figure.

If you can’t yet believe in life beyond this one, at least you can see that this concept about karma makes this present life itself better both for you as well as those around you, right? If you agree, then I urge you, please don’t dismiss it. Don’t allow yourself to be influenced by arguments which have no basis in any kind of truth, but values set by individuals who have absolutely no wisdom.

I believe that whatever happens after I die is whatever will happen. I am trying not to concern myself with that. I read Gurbani, I try to assimilate it's principles. Why should I concern myself with anything else?

Give me a couple more years of reading and learning, I might change my outlook. I only know what I currently know and act accordingly. If I worry about things I don't understand at this point, like karma, I'd retreat into a corner and not do anything for fear of damning myself, I think. gingerteakaur

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Having said all that, I realise the misconception of my own logic.

1) If it wasn't for human greed and interference with the natural world, I wouldn't be sitting here with my coal-powered laptop, television and heater. Therefore, to walk my own talk I need to join an eco-commune.

2) If I stop my friend from squashing a poisonous spider, and instead I catch it and let it go outside, and that spider goes on the bite my next-door neighbour, where does THAT put my pompus sense of morals? Would it not be better to kill the poisonous spider so it can't bite anyone? But the spider is created by (or if you prefer, evolved according to) God just like that. Who am I to judge such a creature?

Gee, this spiritual stuff sure is complicated!

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

1) If it wasn't for human greed and interference with the natural world, I wouldn't be sitting here with my coal-powered laptop, television and heater. Therefore, to walk my own talk I need to join an eco-commune.

2) If I stop my friend from squashing a poisonous spider, and instead I catch it and let it go outside, and that spider goes on the bite my next-door neighbour, where does THAT put my pompus sense of morals? Would it not be better to kill the poisonous spider so it can't bite anyone? But the spider is created by (or if you prefer, evolved according to) God just like that. Who am I to judge such a creature?

I don't think spiritual stuff is complicated in Sikhism on this matter.Sikhs from Guru hargobind ji's time have been hunting animals for foods,war practice and also animals which were harmful to humans.If somebody believe that killing bugs or pests is wrong then He/she don't agree with sikh philosophy.

What is complicated is human mind which don't agree with many things and then he/she start injecting his/her personal theories in Sikhism

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Ishna ji,

My reservations about karma come from concurrance with your earlier statement to Seeker9 that we can drive ourselves mad thinking about the workings of karma. Karma itself doesn't seem to feature prominently in Gurbani which is where I try to get my spiritual understanding from (slowly). The impression I get from Gurbani is that karma is a mechanism which exists, but we should not preoccupy ourselves with it. My understanding is that if we assimilate the spiritual wisdom, mental attitude and way of life taught by Gurbani and the example of our Gurus, we're on the right track. Whatever happens, happens, and I try to accept that.

Perhaps the advice is against speculating, after all that would be due to ignorance, craving and most likely also wrong understanding?

If I experience physical pain, I can understand this to be a result of karma. But to wonder about which deed in the past must have been the cause for it, this can only be due to attachment to oneself and is therefore not only futile, but in fact detrimental. When I kill a fly, I can understand that this is an unwholesome activity which will bring its appropriate result in the future. But to speculate what those results might be, must again be due to attachment and ignorance and is therefore not only useless, but in fact the stuff of bad karma.

The impression I get from my learning about Sikhi so far, is that we are not supposed to withdraw from the world. We are to keep our attachment to the world in check. We are in fact encouraged to engage with the world. All of creation is an emanation of the Divine, why should we hold an aversion to it? It will all pass away, and so we shouldn't become attached with it.

There is the ‘world’ of convention, one which is populated with people, animals and things and where there are events happening in place and in time. There is however also the ‘world’ in the real and ultimate sense. This is the world of one moment of consciousness at a time through one of the five senses or the mind, without which that other world wouldn’t have been conceived of in the first place.

Within that first world, some people choose to live alone and some in the company of other people. In the second one, the understanding is that in fact, “we are all alone with our consciousness and thinkingâ€. From the standpoint of the latter therefore, which is what the reality is, we can’t ever get away from the world, and yet at the same time we are always alone. Therefore in the conventional world, if we decide to withdraw from society or to engage in it and in either case there is the lack of understanding about the “real†world, then one choice is not better than the other. Both are the product of ignorance and craving.

With this understanding, we can then come to see that the whole point is to understand who we are from moment to moment, so no need to “do†or change anything. If it is in your nature to live alone, fine, if not, also fine.

With regard to ‘attachment’, it is never good. No doubt, this may be all that we have in our relationships and will not go away so easily. But instead of trying to justifying, we can understand it for what it is and accept the fact, while at the same time, gradually developing good qualities such as kindness, compassion, morality, generosity, respect, patience, renunciation, truthfulness and most of all, wisdom, to counter the attachment aversion, conceit and so on. And why, because undoubtedly these are the better option when it comes to dealing with other people.

The point about worldliness was not an encouragement to not engage with other people, but to not be moved by values set by them, ones that are not grounded in basic principles of morality. If our confidence in good is weak and we lack understanding about the Truth, we become involved in worldliness to the point of being moved one moment this and another that, by values based on wrong perceptions. And what in fact all this comes down to, is desire for gain, pleasure, honour and praise.

As humans with our perceived higher intelligence compared with other sentient life forms on our planet, and our opposable thumbs which enable us to use tools to interact with our planet in a more complex way than other critters, coupled with our sense of morals, most people will find a sense of responsibility for our environment.

The “opposable thumbâ€. :) Have you seen the short film titled “Isle of Flowersâ€, if not try to see it; you can get it on YouTube.

When it comes down to it, the only real responsibility that we have is to develop wisdom. And this wisdom will have it that alongside, we develop all good qualities, including morality. It is exactly because we don’t realize this that we are moved by other value systems, and whatever we do is ultimately, aimed at glorifying the ‘self’. This is due to the overwhelming tendency to ignorance and craving. Indeed realizing this to any extent is one motivation for us to guard our own minds.

And this is in no way a passive thing. The difference is that while this activity does not involve the need for validation from others, those other value systems requires other people to agree. And while the one sees that it is worthless to aim for gain, pleasure, praise and honour, the other is likely being motivated by one or more of these all the time.

This of course is not saying that we should not be involved in say, trying to improve the environment, what is being suggested is that we not be moved to act wrongly while doing what we do. But then in the case of the suggestion such as “a sense of responsibility for our environmentâ€, this comes across as carrying more weight than that of developing wisdom and morality. And here I see a problem, because it easily leads to justifying taking certain actions where we’d be forced to overlook morality. It should be the other way round, that wisdom and morality comes first, then whatever follows will take care of itself.

I feel great aversion when people mess with the natural order of things, injecting their man-made ideas into naturalness. For example, taking the horns off of elephants for the ivory and deforestation. If us pesky humans would leave it all alone, it would run beautifully. Humans come along, stick our greedly fingers in and everything falls out of balance.

Hence the virtue of minding our own minds, developing wisdom and other good qualities. ;-)

So when I see that humans have messed with the natural order of a river by bringing in fish from another hemisphere, and the fish is causing widespread environmental damage, killing trees, other fish, polluting the waterway, I feel the correct thing to do is to remove the introduced pest.

Have you not in effect allowed other people’s actions decide your own? Is it not apparent that their actions were motivated by ignorance and craving and now yours is no different in this regard? From where I stand, both of you have not taken into account the fact that receiving pleasant and unpleasant experiences is the result of good and bad deeds and no one knows what is in store for whom. Those other people thought wrongly that money is going to bring them happiness and you are thinking that in fixing the problems they have created, this is going to cause other living things to be happy. In other words, they were involved in their own projections and now you are in yours.

If someone sticks an arrow into the side of a deer, and the deer is limping around in pain, is it not logical that the right thing to do is to remove the arrow and restore the deer to health?

Of course it is. And although no one can say if the deer is going to survive or not, still it is what is happening now and your decision is based on kindness and compassion with not aversion towards any other being which may cause you to then do something bad.

I feel that should be the only consideration, not wondering "is this some expression of karma" or "what will happen to my karma if I remove the arrow?" or "I will generate good karma by removing the arrow, yay!". You do what is right and good then and there.

Sure, karma is "now" and not just a theory to indulge in thought proliferation about.

Another example would be if there is a grasshopper in your office and your co-worker is about to kill it, do you sit by and allow it to happen, fully conscious that you could get up and preserve it's life with no problems? By consciously choosing to stay on your chair and watch when you are fully capable of interceding, is that not wrong? You could rationalise it by saying "my co-worker is interacting with karma, it's his problem not mine". I would disagree.

You have misunderstood what I have been saying. Kindness is the deciding factor. It would not be an act of kindness to allow someone else to kill, but to point out the harm of killing is. Also towards the grasshopper, it would be kindness not to want it be killed. So indeed you can go ahead and teach your co-worker at the same time, about karma. ;-)

A very good point, Confused ji. It is hard to know what is good and right, and our personal greed, attachment and ego will always get in the way and could very well confuse your mind to think "do this... it's the good thing to do..." when in fact you've been fooled into doing what might not actually be good to gain something, or for your own personal satisfaction. That's why we have to keep coming back to Gurbani and drumming the message into our mind to bring ourselves in harmony to be able to figure out what is truly good.

I am glad that you appreciate this point. :)

I will conceed, I'm sure that sometimes the greater good would be to not do anything at all. We can only pray for the wisdom to know the difference!

But I think the problem is in the very perception of “greater goodâ€. That of turning ‘good’ into an “ideal†and then trying to act upon it with ambition all starts with the kind of misperception, namely that a situation exists waiting for me to do something. But really, there is only what is now for any right or wrong action to take place, and here there is no idea of greater or lesser, just what is. (Although even this can easily be misunderstood, since in reality the problem starts with the perception of ‘self’, and one can’t decide to have or not have any kind of perception. But this is another topic.) So it appears that we need to nip the bud at this stage, namely at the level of perception itself.

I believe that whatever happens after I die is whatever will happen. I am trying not to concern myself with that. I read Gurbani, I try to assimilate it's principles. Why should I concern myself with anything else?

Give me a couple more years of reading and learning, I might change my outlook. I only know what I currently know and act accordingly. If I worry about things I don't understand at this point, like karma, I'd retreat into a corner and not do anything for fear of damning myself, I think.

No you are right not to concern yourself with the result. What I’m urging you to understand and accept is that the mechanism exists. And the only we that you can be sure that it does, is not by trying to do your best to do good and leave it at that, but to develop the understanding of the good itself and everything else that make up your life. Without understanding karma for what it is, then you are left only with either believing in it or not believing. And this does nothing to arouse confidence, in fact in another life you will not believe in the idea at all.

And whether there is a laptop or not, and you are living in the Middle Ages or the Age of the Internet, good being always good and evil always evil, the knowledge about the distinction can be shared with all those who you come across.

2) If I stop my friend from squashing a poisonous spider, and instead I catch it and let it go outside, and that spider goes on the bite my next-door neighbour, where does THAT put my pompus sense of morals?

Regardless of what you think later on, the deed has been done and it will bring its appropriate result. What you will always be required to come back to, is what the state of mind is “nowâ€. If there is doubt and regret, know that this too is wrong and hence not to be encouraged. To speculate what could happen and be moved to act accordingly may be yet another example of going by a wrong perception, and which has nothing to do with reality.

Would it not be better to kill the poisonous spider so it can't bite anyone? But the spider is created by (or if you prefer, evolved according to) God just like that. Who am I to judge such a creature?

But is it really about judging or not judging? Or is it about knowing what the present state of mind is?

It is actually very simple, but only hard to see. And this is due to the three mental proliferations coming in again and again whenever we think about such things, namely, attachment, conceit and wrong understanding.

Sorry for the lengthy response.

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
Dear Confused Ji

Thanks again; I am enjoying this exchange

I have some further comments as well and hope they are not too difficult to read against yours:

Death can‘t be known directly in the same way that other kinds of mental phenomena which arise in a day can. However, based on the understanding of experiences in general, we can understand that it must be a mental reality and is resultant.

Sorry – I do not understand what you have said here and I prefer to think of death of the physical body as being a physical experience and end as opposed to a mental one

My killing you, as I said, is only a conventional idea. In reality, it is the intention rooted in strong aversion which caused me to pull the trigger; and this is actually karma which will bring its appropriate results.

Yes

Having pulled the trigger, no one can say if you’d actually die, and at which instance. You may be critically wounded and not die, or even if you did, the gap between the moment that the bullet hit your brain and the actual death-consciousness arising, there must be countless instances of consciousness of both the nature of cause and that of result.

I guess we could look at this in terms of probable outcomes and Quantum physics but as a whole, I think your view of the death process is somewhat different from mine. But it is interesting nonetheless!

As humans we are in a plane of existence where consciousness cannot arise without a physical base. We can’t deny also, that the brain is a vital organ of the human body. If it is damaged, it causes many problems, and when enough, this body becomes unsustainable. This is within the realm of material phenomena, one which is related to a particular set of mental phenomena. We can therefore say that the physical is “support condition†for the mental phenomena

Ok I can follow that….

And these physical bases have other material realities as further support and somewhere there is the role of this concept we call ‘brain’. However, we should not mix these different phenomena together in a way that we then confuse causes / resultants with conditionality and come up with wrong ideas.

Less sure about that bit though…

If death is a mental phenomenon and is result of some cause in the past, we can’t at the same time then say that the damage in the brain is the “cause†of the death? Again just to remind, we need to distinguish between conventional ideas about cause and effect from that which takes place at the level of ultimate reality. And in this case we can say that the conditions within this particular body for the arising of consciousness constituting “life†ceases, which include experiences through all the senses as well as the mind, but this is not because of the damage in the brain, but because of death.
This is probably not very convincing to you, since it requires a change of perspective at very basic levels of perception and thinking about one’s experiences.

You are right, it isn't. As I said earlier your interpretations are different from mine and I will think about them further

Quote:
I would therefore suggest that Karma could account for you being in that position in the first place, perhaps as repayment of a karmic debt whereby I had done you a grave injustice in a former life. Just another interpretation...
Yes and no. Yes in the sense of my experiences must no doubt constitute moments of causes as well as those that are resultant. No, because my being in any particular place must include my having decided to get there and the efforts to do so, and although this is conditioned, it is not pre-determined. Actually, nothing is pre-determined, not even the results of karma. Theses arise by a complex set of conditions, and those that are from the past are only a part of it.
And I wouldn’t tie my present actions with yours in the past; otherwise there will be no end to this ‘revenge-like’ phenomenon. My aversion could in a way be said to have simply found its object, in other words killing you was not because you killed me in the past, but because I have so much strong aversion and instead of you, it could have found an object in anyone else. Your receiving the result likewise, could have been via someone else’s action and not mine.

Yes, that is your interpretation but I have heard others suggest the “unfinished business” theory as well. As I noted in a previous post, I am not well versed in the details of how Karma works. Too be honest..can anyone be? We can all theorise but that’s all…

Quote:
Quote: the tsunami killed 20,000 people.
I am focussing on this in particular as I have never been able to understand the concept of collective Karma. I would appreciate your views on this
Of course you will not understand and why should you? This idea about ‘collective karma’ can only be a case of misperception and wrong understanding.
Things happen, and in this case the tsunami. And just as in my explanation about the brain, we can understand that a great many people were deprived of the ‘support conditions’ for the continuation of life. There is nothing predetermined about this and neither is it random and without cause. And it is the same had it been just one individual who died from the incident. And in the end the phenomena is the same whether it is a tsunami, earthquake, car accident or slipping in the bathroom.
The falling back on the idea of ‘collective karma’ is probably due to the individual’s tendency to think in terms of determinism, if so, this is understandable if the only other option is belief in chaos and denial of causality. However there is also this idea about karma and that of conditionality that could be taken into consideration!...?

I think there is a contradiction here…when we talk about individual death, we can talk about Karma but when we talk about collective death, then the Karma concepts are less easy to fit. This is why I have problems with the Hindu concept of Karma

Quote:
Quote: We continue to tell ourselves that we are concerned about other people, but the truth is that it was about me, mine and I all the way through.
That is one way of interpreting it. I would say I consult a moral compass and try and do what I think is right so I can be content that I did the right thing. Which is similar to what you said but without the implication of being conceited I think...
The point I’m trying to make is that if genuine kindness was behind our dealings with other people and we did understand its value, then there should be no doubt as to what the right course of action is, when faced with the question about pests. Moral actions can arise due to accumulated habit; however we may need to also encourage more kindness which will then act as a stronger basis for more moral actions to arise. Better still, if there is direct understanding into the nature of moral restraint, since here the motivation would then be good for its own sake without a need to be convinced by any kind of reasoning.

Ok..that is certainly a worthy ideal for an enlightened individual. But as I said before, for someone less enlightened like myself, it is easier for to me relate my actions to people than bugs

Quote:
Quote: Perhaps it is not about choosing to be kind to one and not to the other; it could be that the tendency to kindness exists but no real understanding of what it really is.
Seeker9:
One's upbringing and education will impact on their individual moral compass ....
But one can always do better and should do. We may need to be aware of the overwhelming ignorance that is still there and be motivated to understand better all our experiences.

I can’t argue with that!

Quote:
Quote: It is in seeing the value of kindness that kindness arises regardless of whom and to what. The perception of other beings acts more as a reminder to develop the particular quality which one knows to be of value. Along with this is seeing harm in its opposite, namely ill-will, and this acts as a further motivation.
Seeker9:
Okay, fair enough

Quote: Indeed one has to be wary of the near-enemy of kindness which is what we usually have towards those who are near and dear, and this is selfish-affection. Of the two, this latter is the more dangerous, since it comes across as good
Seeker9:
Please elaborate as I do not understand this bit
The far enemy of kindness is cruelty and ill-will, whereas its near enemy is attachment or selfish-affection. The former is seen as undesirable even to those under the influence of the latter. However when attachment is what defines our relationship with family and friends, this comes across as a good thing. This is so especially when hatred has been judged as undesirable and seen as standing opposite to the attachment. While hatred is accompanied by unpleasant feelings, attachment, the same as kindness, is with neutral or pleasant feelings. This is what makes these two ‘near’, although enemies.

Unpleasant feelings and kind feelings are near? I fear I have not grasped your point

Also attachment has many forms and intensities and therefore quite easily appears as good to those of us who know only the grosser forms of it. Besides, aversion arises because we do not get what we are attached to or get what we do not like. All these factors combine in making attachment then, much more dangerous than aversion or hatred.

Thanks for the explanation but I fear I still do not understand. Not to worry…you’ve obviously looked into this much deeper than I have so I have some catching up to do

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Seeker9 ji,

Thanks again; I am enjoying this exchange

Although I wouldn’t say that I’m enjoying it, it is however a challenge, since this is the first time I’ve gotten into the kind of discussion with anyone and never seen it discussed by others before. In fact I’ve had to revise this a few times, perhaps because I have not until now given the topic much thought.

I am moving this discussion however to a new topic; this is ‘Karma - Birth, Life and Death’ and is under General Discussion.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM