Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Sikhism - A Religion?

Discussion in 'Sikh Sikhi Sikhism' started by S|kH, Jul 17, 2004.

1. S|kH

S|kH
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Do you classify Sikhism as a religion or a way of life?

When people argue (particularly Muslims) by saying that Guru Nanak did not create a new religion?

Can we not say, Yes, you are right.

Sikhism does not adhere to any "rights and wrongs" but is a path, a way of life to be followed that was proven by the actions of the Gurus to be correct.

Guru Nanak said himself Sikhi has long existed before him, and will exist past him.

Sikhism can be seen as a foundation for base, a "free-thinkers" world, where the foundation is created by reading Sikhi, to create a philosopher who then thinks on his own without boundaries.

Many religions have a "cap" where they have certain answers for questionable things and if you do not believe those answers, then you can not be part of that religion.

Sikhism has no such thing, it creates a base of knowledge, so you can keep pondering those questions and search for the truth in your own manner.

The Khalsa was the brotherhood dedicated to purity of thought and action. The formal union, making the complete Sikh, on what it should be.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Interfaith Religion In Sikhism Interfaith Dialogues Wednesday at 7:50 PM
    Hard Talk Is Sikhism A Organised 'religion' ? And If So Is That Antithetical To The Teaching Of Gurmat? Hard Talk Sunday at 5:32 AM
    Sikhism More Than Just Another Religion New to Sikhism Jul 25, 2016
    Sikhism Religion And Economic Growth: Elements From Sikhism Book Reviews & Editorials Apr 19, 2016
    Legal Sikhism Is Recognized As A Religion In Chile Breaking News Feb 21, 2016

3. Admin Singh

Admin Singh
    Expand Collapse
    Admin SPNer

I think by limiting Sikhism as just another religion we have limited the scope of sikhism.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Harry Haller

Harry Haller United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

I do not find it a religion, more a way of life

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rajwinder

Rajwinder United States
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer

I think the first question should be .. what is a definition of a religion ? .. Second whether we like it or not .. you cannot "not" have religion in this great world of us .. as religion defines what language u should be speaking , what gear u will be wearing on ur body , what kind of god u will be visiting , what kind of food u will be eating ( veg/non-veg) and finally when u will die what kind of ritual will be done to your body ;-). So i think who ever did this branding .. mush been asked .. if u r not X religion or Y religion .. then what r u "atheist" and the answer is no .. so here u go new religion born

• Like Like x 1
  6. Harry Haller

Harry Haller United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

Rajwinderji

why not?
    I am Sikh, are you saying I should be fluent in Punjabi? I am not...........

again, should I be in kurta pajama? again, I am not,
    What sort of religion dictates what food you should be eating??? thats just silly..

I am leaving my body to medical science, so I am a bit confused by your post
    Atheism is also a religion, even Atheists need a god to not believe in :)