Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

General Sikhi and Success

Discussion in 'Hard Talk' started by Navdeep88, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Navdeep88

Navdeep88 Canada
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Supporter

Dec 23, 2009
    What is Sikhi's view of worldly success and money (achieved through honestly, hard work and the love of what you do)?

Over the last summer I worked in a reception hall, and one evening there was a very extravagant party thrown by a very wealthy Sikh family. One of the uncles was literally wearing diamonds around his neck, I'd never seen a person glisten so much! but in his hand he had a mala.... I found this intriguing, is it really possible to have both success and extravagance, and to be on the path of Sikhi at the same time? If success and money do come in abundance , how should one approach them?

My parents have always encouraged and followed the way of modest living. I am curious though, for those who have achieved or want to be successful, what is the approach that one should take to those things, as per Sikhi?
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Sikh News Career Success and Sikhi Principles Breaking News Feb 10, 2005
    As A Child, Public Marches Of Sikhism Made Me Uncomfortable. They Still Do . Why ? Whats The Logic Hard Talk Oct 16, 2016
    Concept Of Langar In Sikhi New to Sikhism Sep 11, 2016
    5 Ks In Sikhi Questions and Answers Sep 9, 2016
    Mediumship And Sikhism Questions and Answers Aug 23, 2016

3. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004

I am being slightly sarcastic when I say this. Go with modest living. Those Sikhs who succeed in business and do not show it off are the ones who endow university departments in Sikh Studies, fund eye hospitals for the downtrodden in India, are able to purchase Sikh historical art and relics and them gift them to museums. Once established through honest living, the modest continue the message through extravagant giving. Just my two cents. Or as Tejwant Singh ji would say - it is either about "meism" or about connecting as ONE.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. kds1980

kds1980 India
    Expand Collapse

Apr 4, 2005
    Sikhi in theory do not give much importance to worldly success ,but present generation of sikhs are desperate for success.If a person become Highly successful then many sikhs even forget that whether the person is actually
    practicing sikh or not.For a common person ,they may give 1000s of does and don'ts but for successful people even overlook what they are doing.
  5. Seeker9

Seeker9 United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse
    Cleverness is not wisdom
    SPNer Supporter

May 3, 2010
    Success can be the hard earned result of ones own efforts so nothing wrong with that at all

I think it's more a question of what one does with the success, e.g does it make them more likely to indulge in the "five evils"
    • Like Like x 1