Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Sikh Lavan and 7 Phere

Discussion in 'Sikh Youth' started by gurtej khubbar, Jan 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. gurtej khubbar

gurtej khubbar
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

Sat Sri Akal

I recently the below article and really liked the sikh perspective on marriage.

http://www.{url not allowed}/news/anand-karaj-and-lavan

Now I am not too knowledgable with Hindu traditional 7 circles..

Can any one share their perspectives on their beliefs and how it is different to sikh way?

Thanks

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Sone Bhambhani Joins Sikh Philosophy Network! New SPN'ers Yesterday at 9:11 AM
    Gigi S Joins Sikh Philosophy Network! New SPN'ers Wednesday at 10:44 AM
    New Short Story (Sikh Fiction) Literature Dec 2, 2016
    Basics Of Sikhi Jagraj Singh Diagnosed With Stage 4 Cancer Sikh Organisations Dec 1, 2016
    Interfaith Religion In Sikhism Interfaith Dialogues Nov 30, 2016

3. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh Malaysia
    Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

The Lavan..the GURU talks to the couple..advising articulating..married life and how its compared to Spiritual Union with The Creator..minds unite..spirtual union is also importnat besides the physical union etc etc...

The Phereh..there is a Brahmin speaking in SANSKRIT..and instructs the couple..DO THIS..NOW.,.do that now..get up..walk..etc tec and the couple follow his instructions. The phereh are around the Fire...

I have gone to Hindu Brahmin Marriages..they take awfully LONG...with the smoke getting in the eyes,..many many rituals etc etc...while the Lavan take less than 15 minutes even when sung twice.

At the end of the day what makes for a SUCCESSFUL MARRIAGE is neither the Lavan or the Phereh..its the COMMITMENT the couple have for each other...otherwise..its divorce and bye bey real soon...winkingmunda

• Like Like x 3
  4. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

gurtej kubbar ji

I enjoyed that article, but there is one thing that was not stressed. Again it pertains to the difference between Sikhi and Hinduism. In the anand karaj a couple is not married by a priest In Sikhi a couple marry themselves to Akaal Purakh.

• Like Like x 1
  5. singhbj

singhbj
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer