Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Sikh News Sikh gurdwara in US in controversy (Sify News)

Discussion in 'Breaking News' started by Sikh News Reporter, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Sikh News Reporter

Sikh News Reporter United States
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor Supporter

A Sikh religious flag displayed at a soon-to-be-opened gurdwara in California is at the centre of a controversy, with some residents saying the American flag should also be put up there.

More...

2. Loading...

3. Arvind

Arvind
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor Supporter

News clip says - Residents of Stockton have said that if the gurdwara erects a flag with the Sikh religious emblem, it must also hoist an American flag even higher.

No religious building is mandated to have any flag etc. Also, probably sikh community there needs to assimilate into local community there.

Ironically, Stockton has the first gurudwara in USA built in 1912. The recent comments by local people are very alienating.

4. kaur-1

kaur-1
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

I recall something in the news about a similar mandate for hoisting flag at place's of worship in Australia. Cant recall how it started, I think it was to do with mosque's.

back to this topic:

Why dont these group of "racist" fly the Native country flags too alongside the american flag. Maybe they forgot about the "small" fact that they are also immigrants.

Australia - the aborigines who were slaughtered in thousands and of course the USA - millions of native Americans slaughtered.

I think the Gurdwara's should also think of these Natives.

Nishan sahib pole not to be touched
    but
    have separate pole/s in remembrance of the Natives and a flag of the country of domicile.