• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh Atheism

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
FOR THOSE THAT CLAIM SCIENCE CAN DISPROVE THE EXISTANCE OF GOD, WELL ITS LIKE GRAVITY, YOU KNOW IT EXISTS, CAN YOU SEE IT? NO! BUT WE KNOW ITS THERE.

"IF YOU AIN'T TASTED SUGAR YOU CAN'T DESCRIBE SWEETNESS"
The above sentences sound cool on paper but in reality they fall apart. You are forgetting that gravity is measurable. We have defined what it is and it has become a law.
God on the other hand cannot be described fully (defined).

Now about your tasting sugar analogy. God is not something we can measure, in case of sugar, it was measuring the sweetness. And sugar is NOT the only thing that tastes sweet.

Sugar free gum anyone? :ice:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Well Aad and Aman ji,

Once more I tried. It is like hitting my head against the wall. You cannot raise ones awareness if it is not in ones Destiny. I do not have time to waste.

"Vishta ka keeda, Vishta mein reha samai"

Randip Singh mandli "Zindabad"

Santa Singh mentality "Zindabad"

Regards

ekmusafir_ajnabi:wah:

Stop throwing the toys out of the pram....grow up!OMG

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
:D No, I am! :D:D:DPlease do not try to take away my role in this regard.:D

Why don't we take a look at the different meanings of atheism and then think of the argument so far from these different points of view.
I got one: questioning the exitence of God.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
:D No, I am! :D:D:DPlease do not try to take away my role in this regard.:D

Why don't we take a look at the different meanings of atheism and then think of the argument so far from these different points of view.

I guess if reading Bani and Truthful Living is our goal then we Sikhs are all defined as agents of Maya by Ekh Musafir :)

Oct 10, 2009
First of all science cannot overtake religion SGGS is far superior and most
advanced scripture in the world. The concept of god is well defined in Sikhi
because Japji Sahib is description of SGGS. The world WAHEGURU is been
used the day man set the foot on earth.

Aug 28, 2010
THERE IS NO CONCEPT OF GOD IN SGGS there are reasons to say so
It is important to understand that the BASIC CONCEPT OF SGGS is based on
the word GURU. and GUR.
Considering the very grammer of the word GOD we would find that the word GOD does not fit anywhere for any reference in Gurbaani.
Secondly the word GOD is not a word of Gurbaani Vocabulary.This is an extra word so its use should confom to the grammer of Gurbaani language which is difficult to justify.

This is a UNIQUE beauty of the language of SGGS that the moment anyone tries to make use of any extra word it should be made according to the grammer of the language of SGGS ji otherwise its use does not convey any meaning of the messages of Gurbaani.

Thus it may be important to consider the above points and see what the word GOD can refer in Gurbaani.
I am not against the sanctity of the word GOD whichmay be one of the important word in some other philosophy but certainly the word GOD may not be reference for anything in SGGS .

Prakash.S.Bagga

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

prakash s bagga ji

There are real dangers to being armchair philosophers when claiming that Sikhism is atheistic. I would say no it is not -- the idea of [GOD] takes on more than one form. The word "GOD" fits western religions, but even western religions in some cases do not espouse the concept of a personal [GOD] and these religions also do not claim to be atheistic.

It is also very frustrating when you return to the Gurbani argument without being explicit regarding "Gur" and other terms that you use. It makes discussion with you impossible because no one knows what you are talking about - you give no definitions.

If one is trying to say that [GOD] in Sikhi is not "God" because the Sat is timeless, formless, and all pervading, then we are treading a slippery slope. I have read this argument Nirankar in Sikhi = Atheism 1000 times. A timeless, formless, all pervading divine principle can be called anything you like, including GURU, GUR or GOD or Sweet Potato, or be labeled in many other ways -- as is the case in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. A timeless, formless, all pervading divine does not however make Sikhi atheistic. So we all of us really need to move from simplistic labeling and pay more attention to the subtleties of theology and philosophy; otherwise, some truly misleading statements are made.

Thanks.

Aug 28, 2010
SPNADMIN Ji,
First of all let me make it clear that the Quote is not mine.
I value your concern a lot and I was expecting your response like this one.I have nowhere tried to esblish any similarity between Sikhism and Athiesm.
I have simply mentioned a concern how correct is the use of word GOD with reference to Gurbaani in SGGS.Nothing more than this.
We are already sharing many views with respect to certain values in Sikhism and you would also realise that many misunderstandings are responsible for certain uncalled for circumstances like that of FAKE GURUS and BABAS.
I have my different viewin this regard .It is important to have greater transpareny
in understanding of our Philosophy of SGGS so that no one can attemt to damage the very concept of Gurbaani.
The point which I have raised should be viewed in right perspectiveand simply outright rejection may not help .Its serious thought might result in better results.
Otherwise why should I have concern if the concerned at large are comfortable withany words
We should clarify the correct reference meaning of the word GUR from our various Academic institutions and let us see what they opine.

You will surprise to know that in INDIA there is prfound use of the word PARMATAMA in interpretation of Gurbaabi.You will notice there is no such word in the whole of Gurbaani.I always try to bring this to the notice of various scholars regarding this too.
There are deliberations going on regarding this also.

Any way if SPN sangat feels uncomfortable with this point of viewThis shall not be raised anytime in future.

Prakash.S.Bagga

Aug 28, 2010
SPNADMIN Ji,
I seek a very specfic answer for a question from your goodself

What is the need of making use of any word which is not a content of Gurbaani .Are Gurbaani words insuffcient to get the complete and perfect interpretations ?

Pl do resond me to these.I look forward to this.

Thanking you,

Prakash.S.Bagga

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I am a proud Sikh, proud of our history and what the Gurus have done for us. However, I just cannot believe in the concept of God, who created everything, especially when science has proved otherwise. I feel troubled and divided, but I strongly believe that because Sikhism is a spiritual religion, the idea of God can be seperated from our religion.

Can anyone back me up here?

I have come accross thios problem before.

Unfortunately many people confuse the Abrahamic concept of "God" with the Sikh one. Two different concepts.

For example, in the opening line of the Sikh prayer

Ek Onkar is interpreted as One God but Onkar actually means "Constant".

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
SPNADMIN Ji,
I seek a very specfic answer for a question from your goodself

What is the need of making use of any word which is not a content of Gurbaani .Are Gurbaani words insuffcient to get the complete and perfect interpretations ?

Pl do resond me to these.I look forward to this.

Thanking you,

Prakash.S.Bagga

prakash s bagga ji

The answer is: so that people can communicate with one another, from different times, cultures, and from one to another language, language must be used, ordinary language as it is spoken in ordinary ways. So we have to use ordinary words in order to discuss the vocabulary in Gurbani. If we don't then how do we communicate?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I have come accross thios problem before.

Unfortunately many people confuse the Abrahamic concept of "God" with the Sikh one. Two different concepts.

For example, in the opening line of the Sikh prayer

Ek Onkar is interpreted as One God but Onkar actually means "Constant".

Randip Singh ji

If that is true, then why does the mantar begin with the number 1 instead of the word "one." In ekoankar implies the unity or oneness of creation.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
prakash s. bagga ji

Thanks btw for making this clear. I do not feel so isolated and dejected when I read it.
I value your concern a lot and I was expecting your response like this one.I have nowhere tried to esblish any similarity between Sikhism and Athiesm.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Aethism: Just some thoughts developing out of wiki,

Atheism, in a broad sense, is the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities. Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist. Atheism is contrasted with theism, which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists.

Based on the above Sikhism is in concert with atheism if one God envisioned in Sikhism is not classed a deity, which it cannot be since it is recognized as pervasive and present in everything in the universe known or unknown. What is present in everything is not a deity concept in the traditional sense.

In extreme summary through "Mool Mantar" is a definiton of the general scope of Sikh God being, a single universal truth pervasive without bounds of fear, animosity and time. In a way a very impersonal or extremely fair regardless of consequences (akin to concepts of Universal morality). We do need to recognize also that Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji keeps warning in case we try or attempt the full disclosure of such a truth as that is not achievable. Hence conversely, a Sikh God if not completely definable and is inconsequential, as long its search is or understanding is carried out with that premise to be in unison with the single universal truth foundation.

I think I may have said more than I should and stand corrected/commented.

Sat Sri Akal.

*****************************************************************************************************
Notes: Some perhaps non-thread related material I will delete if not appropriate or put it under a new thread.

Just some thoughts for consideration, comments and correction as appropriate. I was trying to understand Prakash S. Bagga ji's repeated references to "Gur - Guru" so tried to search for myself to clarify in my mind.

Work based on the following,

Professor Sahib Singh ji "Sri Guru Granth Sahib Darpan",

(gur — gurU dy) ------> (Gur ---- Guru dey) ---> (God ---- through God or By God)

In common English vernacular it is equivalent to He --> His or She ->Her.

Example:

1. He did it and it is all due to his efforts.
2. She did it and it is all due to her efforts.

The Generic pronouns equivalent.

ੴ ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਰਤਾ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ ਅਕਾਲ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਅਜੂਨੀ ਸੈਭੰ ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥

ArQ:- Akwl purK ie`k hY, ijs dw nwm 'hoNd vwlw' hY jo isRStI dw rcnhwr hY, jo sB ivc ivAwpk hY, BY qoN rihq hY, vYr-rihq hY, ijs dw srUp kwl qoN pry hY, (Bwv, ijs dw srIr nws-rihq hY), jo jUnW ivc nhIN AwauNdw, ijs dw pRkwS Awpxy Awp qoN hoieAw hY Aqy jo siqgurU dI ikrpw nwl imldw hY[

God is one and is known as the truth, is the creator of all, present everywhere, without fear, without animosity, is timeless, is not guided by life cycles, is a self creation and is realized through its own (Guru/God) blessing.
PS: Professor Sahib Singh ji's exposition below may be useful per Randip Singh ji's comment,

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> <> au~cwrn vyly ies dy iqMn ih`sy kIqy jWdy hn-1, E Aqy > ; ies dw pwT hY ‘iek EAMkwr’[ iqMn ih`sy v`Ko v`Kry au~cwirAW ieauN bxdy hn:-

1-ie`k[ E-EAM[ > -kwr[

‘E’ sMsik®q dw Sbd hY[ Amr koS Anuswr ies dy iqMn ArQ hn:-

(1) vyd Awid Drm-pusqkW dy ArMB Aqy A^Ir ivc, Ardws jW iksy piv~qr Drm-kwrj dy ArMB ivc A`Kr 'EN' piv~qr A`Kr jwx ky vriqAw jWdw hY[
(2) iksy hukm jW pRSn Awidk dy au~qr ivc Awdr Aqy siqkwr nwl ‘jI hW’ AwKxw[ so, ‘EN’ dw ArQ hY 'jI hW'[
(3) EN-bRhm[

iehnW ivcoN ikhVw ArQ ies Sbd dw ie`Qy ilAw jwxw hY-ies ƒ idRVH krn leI Sbd 'EN' dy pihlW '1' ilK id`qw hY[ ies dw Bwv ieh hY ik ie`Qy 'EN' dw ArQ hY 'auh hsqI jo iek hY, ijs vrgw hor koeI nhIN hY Aqy ijs ivc ieh swrw jgq smw jWdw hY['

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> -------------- so, "<>" dw au~cwrn hY " iek (eyk) EAMkwr" Aqy iesdw ArQ hY "iek Akwl purK, jo iek-rs ivAwpk hY"[ -----------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: