• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Should Alcohal Be Banned In Punjab?

May 24, 2008
WJKK WJKF

Sikhism bars a human from any intoxicant including Alcohal . Gujarat has done wonders in progress at the same time it is successful in Enforcing Prohibtion . Can Punjab start & implement Prohibtion ? What will be its pros & cons ? I wish all members to contribute with their views .'
Regards ,

Dalbir Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
why just alcohol....also tobacco..bhukee heroin..marijuana..etc etc all are already banned in Gurbani/SRM....but not many care what Gurbani/srm says...
America tried prohibition in the early 20s and succeeded in creating the MAFIA underworld that is bigger than many third world countries in terms of illegal income...
secret is in self control....sehaj..advocated by Gurbani..
In order to ban such things there must be POLITICAL WILL..which is missing in India...punjab lives on liqour...are you aware that half of punjab govts income is from alcohol..???
Gyani jarnail Singh

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
I can't see how it can be banned. People make their own desi, if alcohol gets banned this will become a major money maker and probably lead to a rise in gangsters who will control the trade just like prohibition America.

As for cannabis - it grows all over the place. Will that mean some form of gestapo will be running around burning it wherever it can be found?

Heroin - besides the people who grow it in Panjab (I imagine some must do) we are next to the world distribution centre of the drug i.e. Pakistan. I wonder how much of the heroin in Panjab comes from Afghanistan, where British and American soldiers are turning a blind eye to cultivation in fear of alienating farmers straight into the hands of Al Qaeda.

I do think it could be banned in certain areas like in other states, by this I mean religious places like Amritsar etc.

Apr 27, 2008
Sao Paulo, Brazil
To Pk 70

Only a strong inner will and drive would prevent Sikhs to use drugs like liquors, tobacco and other intoxicants. If they don't follow means Gurbani isn't being enough understood.

Sikhi must be a way of life and not only lip services.

True warriors are those who win their own inferior impulses called nafs by Muslims (I don't know the equivalent in Gurmukhi).

I wish we all could show the bravery not using weapons but living an exemplar life as our Gurus did. If Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale did the same so let's follow their austere life without resorting to suicide attitudes. PK70 do you know can agree with me? All I know about Bhindranwale was read on Sikh forums. Of course I was not a witness to Operation Blue Star.

BK

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Brazillian Kaur Ji

Very true, Sikhs need to live according to Gurbani; however, when no one listens to your pleadings, warnings, when injustice takes over civility, when peaceful methods fail, lies try to bury the truth and mighty power try to reduce you to nothing, Sikhs are advised by Tenth Master to take refuge in self defense. In U.S.A, many weeks were given to cult leader Devid Krosh( Name may be misspelled) before U.S FBI entered his residence; contrary to that, Indra's Army surrounded Darbar Sahib and controlled the whole state and attacked within a week. Couldn't they wait for negotiations? Couldnt they let pass Guru Arjun Dev's Shaheedi diwas? Couldnt they pursue the public to put pressure on Sant Bhindrawale to come out. What big eminent danger was for Indra? What hundred people can do who were hidden in small area? Govt just acted like military regime, consequences were dire. In that struggle blames fall on the both parties. Comparing Bhindrawala's struggle to Alqueda is totally not fair. Otherwise, I agree with you for the harmony in the World.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: