• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Satyug- The Bowl Of Cherries

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Satyug- The bowl of cherries

We are often reminded by some Sikh Scholars-Katha vaachaks about 4 eras or eons-Satyug, Treyta,Duaaper and Kaljug when they pontificate Hindu mythology and try to link it with Sikhi. Our mind games divided into 4 time slots by those who claimed to have seen, known, met and talked to the personified god. The interesting part is that we are only reminded of Kalyug that we are supposed to be going through now as the dark age in our existence and also of Satyug, the eons in some distant past when good times were good times. Or were they? Sita’s abduction by Ravan does not give us the aura of any good times in Satyug. The whole story is written in Ramayana which was originally written by Valmiki.The story says that Rama was born in a royal family and was supposed to be the king, but because of his step- mother, he was forced to exile from his kingdom for fourteen years. During this period his consort Sita was kidnapped by a demon called Ravan, who was the king of Lanka. Rama with the help of his brother, Lakshman, and an army of monkeys under the leadership of Hanuman, rescued Sita.

By reading the above, one is reminded of the title of the self help book of the 70’s, ‘If life is a bowl of cherries, what am I doing in the pits?

Let’s fast forward it to Kalyug, I must say that in Las Vegas, there is a thin line that divides Kalyug and Satyug depending on your luck at the Black Jack table and sometimes they intertwine. The Satyug also in Vegas is getting married at midnight at a drive through wedding chapel by the immortal, eternal Elvis and then dive into Kalyug while getting divorced at 5 am. All in the same stride. Now the question arises, what is the main ingredient of Kalyug?

It is fear.

Fear according to American Heritage is:
A feeling of agitation and anxiety caused by the presence or imminence of danger
A state or condition marked by this feeling: living in fear.
Extreme reverence or awe, as toward a supreme power.
A reason for dread or apprehension.

All the above show the alchemy of Kalyug and how it can be concocted by dogmas. We all know very well that fear can not make us have our Satyug.

Now the question arises, are we God fearing or God loving?

Let’s try to find the answer to the question.

When human beings came into existence, they were very fearful of their surroundings because they did not understand them. This was true among all peoples from the Incas in the Andes to the Adhivasis in the deep jungles of India. Gradually, when people understood the natural phenomena of The Akalpurkh, they became less fearful. However, some among them saw the opportunity to become the 'spiritual leaders' of the tribes by becoming "the only ones with 'the Truth' in that little circle". These people engaged in fear tactics to keep the tribes under their influence. They created demons, hell and fireballs in the worlds beyond, where they said those who did not obey them or follow their teachings would perish to.

The 'leaders' evolved and their followers multiplied in numbers, hence the cults became religions. But the fear tactics remained the same in all religions until the birth of Guru Nanak in the 15th century.

"Satguru Nanak parghteiyah, mitti dhund jug chanan hoah".

Here Bhai Gurdas ji is not giving us the weather report of the day nor is he describing the kind of day Guru Nanak was born on. He is emphasizing Guru's Teachings that lifted the veil of darkness created by fear. Thus, fear created darkness began to evaporate and bright rays of love began to outshine.

Fear is darkness; Love is light. Fear breeds repression and submission; Love breeds freedom. Fear makes us cringe; Love makes us open our arms. Fear breeds rebellion; Love creates harmony. Fear is shackles; Love is 5K's.

This cultivation of Love has continued ever since and only due to our Love towards Vaheguru, Sikhi has flourished and has become the 5th largest religion with 25 million Sikhs worldwide in a mere 532 years.

If someone says to you "We should be fearful of God", please recite them the verse of our 10th Guru:

"Jin prem kioh, tinh hee Prabh payeioh" - Only Love can create the connection to Vaheguru.

Only love can prolong the time span of Satyug for a Sikh. So as Sikhs we have the tools to enjoy the cherries and discard the pits. Now another question arises, what kind of tools a Sikh has to prolong his/her spans of Satyug?

Most of the religions believe that accountability is only after death, which makes one wonder that as we can take nothing with us when we die, how can we carry all the ledgers of our lives there?

This concept was created by a few, sitting cross legged on their high chairs using, once again, fear tactics so that all the ones needing brokers to seek ONE GOD would fall under their spell, which even happens now a days.

Sheikh Farid says in SGGS #1379:

Farida, char gavaieah hund kei, char gavaieah sun,
Lekha rub mangesiah, tun kerei aahoh kum?

Hey man, you wasted 12 hours( 4 pehars) loitering around and the other 12 by sleeping,

When your time for accountability comes, how would you explain what you have been up to?

Here Farid ji is talking about 8 pahers meaning 24 hours.

A Sikh has a 'Day book' which he/she opens when they get up. The book is closed shut when we recite Soheila at night:-

Deu sajan assissirian, jei hovei sahib seu meil.

Oh Vaheguru, give me the blessing when I am ready to meet you, in other words when my last breath is gone.

So a Sikh is born (consciously aware) when he/she wakes up and is ready to die when he/she goes to bed, unlike other religions of Kalyug where accountability is only done after death.

In the life of a Sikh accountability is must and it should happen with every breath we take, the same way a bookkeeper keeps track of every transaction in his/her day book. This accountability keeps us aware all the times that Gurmat Ideals act as catalysts, e.g. one can kill a person with a lead pencil or one can draw like Leonardo da Vinci. With the help of Gurbani we all are capable of becoming Leonardos, or better we are all capable of becoming Nanaks.

Hence, only by being accountable with every breath we take, we can enlarge our spans of Satyug, if not, we shall remain in the pits of Kalyug.

Tejwant

singhini

SPNer
Mar 28, 2009
Wow!

This article is amazing. Thank you for writing it.

I could feel myself being filled with love and light as I read this and know that you too were writing from the light. I agree with every word you have written here.

My mother used to say to me as a child "We create heaven or hell in our minds". Every moment counts, we are responsible for our thoughts our emotions and whether we are emanating fear or love....thus creating satyug or kalyug.

Thank you for explaining this in terms of sikhi...as yes, only love can create that connection to Waheguru. :wah:

Thank you.

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
Tejwant Jee

I really enjoyed your understanding of yugs. I was stuck up on 'ਕਲਜੁਗ ਮਹਿ ਕੀਰਤਨੁ ਪਰਧਾਨਾ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਜਪੀਐ ਲਾਇ ਧਿਆਨਾ ॥ ਆਪਿ ਤਰੈ ਸਗਲੇ ਕੁਲ ਤਾਰੇ ਹਰਿ ਦਰਗਹ ਪਤਿ ਸਿਉ ਜਾਇਦਾ ॥੬॥ and was wondering whether Guru sahib is referring to chaina, tabla kirtan or of manh da kirtan(chattering). And does kaljug applies only to Indian. I came across a pankti, 'sultana gha karieda - the manh, the ruler of my body drags me into superfluous work and as such I enter into confusion - an era of kala kala - kalyug'. Thus word 'pardhana' does not stands for priorities but for maneuvering and guru sahib is guiding me, in a state of duality shift your manh to divine traits.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
The yugs can all be interpreted as both previous and current ages. This depends on the context of the shabad when it is making historical or metaphorical references.

They are all active but one is is always dominant as quoted by Sant Darshan Singh Dhakkiwale.
Below is one of the questions and answers given by sant ji for this question.

Q) Right now we're supposedly in the Kaal Yug (age of darkness, one of the 4 ages), if and when the Saatch Yug (age of light/truth) comes, does that mean everything is good or there's still a mixture?

If everything is good, how would you know what was good? If everything was bad, how would you know what was bad? The four yugs (ages) don't occur in a linear fashion one after the other. All four are always in motion at exactly the same time, however one is always a bit more dominant than the others. Hence in the Kal Yug the darkness is dominant but you also have some saatch (light/truth/wisdom), and in the Saatch Yug you will also have some kal (darkness/ignorance), but the saatch will be dominant. Right now the kal is dominant, but it doesn't last

Abneet

SPNer
Apr 7, 2013
The yugs can all be interpreted as both previous and current ages. This depends on the context of the shabad when it is making historical or metaphorical references.

They are all active but one is is always dominant as quoted by Sant Darshan Singh Dhakkiwale.

Good quote from Sant ji. He does answer that question pretty well but opens up to some few questions. When Satyug comes is every enlightened in their own religion or do all part of 1 religion? That is a question to be answered. Now to me I think Sikhs will bring Satyug themselves to the whole mankind. I would like to hear others opinions on this too ha.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

Lucky Singh ji,

Please quote the whole Shabads from the SGGS with your own understanding that justify your claim and/or of Sant Darshan Singh Dhakkiwale's. It seems you happen to agree with him.

Will wait for the Shabad's from the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji to educate myself better regarding this subject.

Lastly, please tell me about this Sant and who gave him that title?

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
All contexts of shabads that may appear as either historical or pure metaphorical, are useless to any of us if they don't encourage us to seek within ourselves.

Someone that comes across to me as more self realized, (higher self awakened), is at an inner state where the heavier layers of maya are removed.
This higher self realized is much more immersed in the state of satyug, than my self. Therefore, I have no objection with whatever praise of titles any one may give them, as I am well below the dust of the feet of all such persons.
Sometimes you find beings referred to as bhai saab, baba and sant simultaneously, by different sangat.
However, I would only object to a reference of ''Guru'' if given or claimed by anyone.
The 'Guru' for me, is reserved just for the one guru jyot we have.

Consequently, since Dhakkiwale appears to me as much more higher self realized with his state of mind sunk more deeply in sat or satyug, I have no intention to debate whether he be addressed as baba, sant, thakur, master....etc.
I have more intention of addressing issues concerning my own inner self !

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
All contexts of shabads that may appear as either historical or pure metaphorical, are useless to any of us if they don't encourage us to seek within ourselves.

Someone that comes across to me as more self realized, (higher self awakened), is at an inner state where the heavier layers of maya are removed.
This higher self realized is much more immersed in the state of satyug, than my self. Therefore, I have no objection with whatever praise of titles any one may give them, as I am well below the dust of the feet of all such persons.
Sometimes you find beings referred to as bhai saab, baba and sant simultaneously, by different sangat.
However, I would only object to a reference of ''Guru'' if given or claimed by anyone.
The 'Guru' for me, is reserved just for the one guru jyot we have.

Consequently, since Dhakkiwale appears to me as much more higher self realized with his state of mind sunk more deeply in sat or satyug, I have no intention to debate whether he be addressed as baba, sant, thakur, master....etc.
I have more intention of addressing issues concerning my own inner self !

Lucky Singh ji,

Guru Fateh.

Fair enough, but he must/should have given some references from the SGGS about his claim that you happen to agree with.

Did he or did he not?

If he did, then please post the reference from the SGGS.

Thanks and regards

Tejwant Singh

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Lucky Singh ji,

Guru Fateh.

Fair enough, but he must/should have given some references from the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji about his claim that you happen to agree with.

Did he or did he not?

If he did, then please post the reference from the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

Thanks and regards

Tejwant Singh

Don't forget that the above is an answer that has been translated by an average gursikh from one of these question/answer audios.
I listened to this long audio (gurmatveechar site i think) some time ago(remember my punjabi is average western born understanding!).... and from what I made out,, he emphasized more about the yugs not being some linear arrangement of ages.
However, I don't think he gave specific quotes but pointed to the fact that even if a shabad comes across as purely historical content, we have to understand it's meaning for inner self in terms of yugs.

I contemplated this quite well at the time taking into account that 'Gu-ru' is from darkness to light, and that kal doesn't just mean some darkness, it is about being ''time and space'' bound.

In terms of ages, we can be more occupied with maya, simply due to more materials that hold us into time and space.
Throughout the ages man has created more trades, taxes, lifestyles..etc.. and along with this also come more advanced forms of 5 thieves to help us go around these systems.

So, I interpret kalyug as more of our tendency to be occupied in this state of mind. This is as far as I see it in terms of ages and not some satyug where we shall all be in some truthful heavenly bliss.

I maybe missing a point or two, but I'm in the middle of getting ready to go downtown for Canada day celebrations and get some bronzing on my skin in this scorching heat(it's going in 30C's plus!)
Be back tomorrow!

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Lucky Singh ji,

Guru Fateh and Happy Canada Day!

Yes, Yugs in Sikhi are the states of mind unlike in the Hindu Mythology which claims these to be actual eons/eras/epochs in the physical time terms. If this were true then those eons should be all over the globe, not confined to one spot.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: