Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Satguru

Discussion in 'Sikh Sikhi Sikhism' started by singhisking101, Mar 18, 2009.

Tags:
  1. singhisking101

singhisking101
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

In Gurbani, when the word Satguru is mentioned is that in reference to The Sri Guru Granth Sahib or Waheguru?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Sakhis Satguru Nanak Sahib in "Tal Heal" or "Tula Valley of Mexico" History of Sikhism Feb 3, 2014
    Shabad of the Week: Satguru Kia Fitki-a Mangi Thake Sansar Shabad of the Week Nov 10, 2013
    India Guru Nanak Dev University to have Satguru Ram Singh Chair Breaking News Oct 26, 2011
    General Characteristics of Satguru in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Hard Talk Jun 15, 2011
    Kirtan Jithe Jaye Bahe Mera Satguru Videos Jun 5, 2011

3. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

singhisking ji

It has to be Satguru is Waheguru. Because the hyms that speak out to the Satguru in many/most cases had been written before the Aadi Granth (now Sri Guru Granth Sahib Maharaj) was compiled by Guru Arjan Dev ji.

4. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh Malaysia
    Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

Aad JIo,
    Gurfateh.

Its the SHABAD-GURU that is also the GURU of GURU NANAK JI SAHIB...( Sidh Ghost - where the Sidhs asked Guru Ji..Who is your GURU .. whose chela are YOU- Guru Ji answered..Shabad is MY GURU). It is this same SHABAD GURU..that is Aad Sach Jugaad Sach..Nnak Hosi bhee Sach.
    This same SHABAD GURU is "personified" in the SGGS form we have Today. Meaning we all have the Same GURU that Guru nanak ji HAS.

The question of "aad Granth/Pothi Sahib/Pothis of Gurbani that were passed down from Guur nanak ji to Guru Angad Ji, Guur Amardass Ji, Guru Ramdass Ji, to Guru Arjun Ji and the final Form of SGGS that were produced and copied in their hundreds by devout Sikhs even before the SGGS was Formally Declared Guru in 1708.. Concluidng the line of HUMAN GURUS (DEH)...is thus mere fromality/technicality". The truth "SACH" is that the SHABAD hs always been our GURU/SATGURU/WAHEGURU all are used interchangeably to mean the same "SOURCE"...the CREATOR...the AKAL PURAKH...AAD SACH..Jugaad SACH..Nnak Hosi bhee SACH.

Words are so very limited in their connotations..its difficult to express what one really wants to ..limitations of language/vocabulary/expressions....

• Like Like x 3
  5. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Gyani ji

I understand and agree with your statements. No question that Bani is Guru. The question read differently to me. And i was responding to the literal side of the question. The question seemed to index or refer the question of who is the Satguru in the words of the Nanak who is speaking. So I was looking at it historically -- that the Nanak was not speaking to the Granth, but to Waheguru.

Of course once we step back and see that the jyote is infused in Sri Guru Granth Sahib -- of course the Shabad, the Bani is the Guru.

Hope that all made sense up there. :}{}{}: I was just understanding the question from a different angle.

6. pk70

pk70
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Supporter

Aad Bhain jio
    What is wrong with your answer?
    I wonder if Gyani ji has failed to understand it, I think he has just elaborated a little more. The only difference is that you called HIM Waheguru and Gyani ji calls Him Shabad Guru. Gyani ji at the end says “aad Sach Jugaad Sach…” Who is that? Waheguru.
    So therefore triangles are congruent
    Bani becomes Guru because it infuses the same guidance Guru Nanak got from the Shabad

Here is your quote, compare it with Gyani ji's words
    It has to be Satguru is Waheguru. Because the hyms that speak out to the Satguru in many/most cases had been written before the Aadi Granth (now Sri Guru Granth Sahib Maharaj) was compiled by Guru Arjan Dev ji.
    Gyani ji's quote

Its the SHABAD-GURU that is also the GURU of GURU NANAK JI SAHIB...( Sidh Ghost - where the Sidhs asked Guru Ji..Who is your GURU .. whose chela are YOU- Guru Ji answered..Shabad is MY GURU). It is this same SHABAD GURU..that is Aad Sach Jugaad Sach..Nnak Hosi bhee Sach.
    This same SHABAD GURU is "personified" in the SGGS form we have Today. Meaning we all have the Same GURU that Guru nanak ji HAS.

The question of "aad Granth/Pothi Sahib/Pothis of Gurbani that were passed down from Guur nanak ji to Guru Angad Ji, Guur Amardass Ji, Guru Ramdass Ji, to Guru Arjun Ji and the final Form of SGGS that were produced and copied in their hundreds by devout Sikhs even before the SGGS was Formally Declared Guru in 1708.. Concluidng the line of HUMAN GURUS (DEH)...is thus mere fromality/technicality". The truth "SACH" is that the SHABAD hs always been our GURU/SATGURU/WAHEGURU all are used interchangeably to mean the same "SOURCE"...the CREATOR...the AKAL PURAKH...AAD SACH..Jugaad SACH..Nnak Hosi bhee SACH.

Essence is the same:)

7. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh Malaysia
    Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan

Dear aad jio,
    Gurfateh.

You in Chester and ME in malaysia...are looking up at the SAME SUN...and basking in the same warmth.
    Satikaaryog PK70 ji is right in his observation.:welcome::ice::ice::ice:

• Like Like x 1
  8. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

I think thougt that my answer was just limited to a narrow scope of time. Between Guru Nanak and Guru Arjan. Sorry to cause a stir. :eek:

9. pk70

pk70
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Supporter

Respected Gyani Ji and aad Jio
    There is no stir. I have seen the same truth in both of your posts.
    May be I am losing merit of tolerating and ignoring. Thanks for sharing your views:)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Singh United States
    Expand Collapse

Antonia ji,

You are right.

There is only one TRUE GURU- SATGURU= IK ONG KAAR.

Our Gurus did not claim themselves to be Gurus. That is why, perhaps they introduced themselves as mere numbers, just the part of human stastitics in SGGS.

Tejwant Singh

• Like Like x 1
  11. roopsidhu

roopsidhu
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

SSA,
    Why don't we try to find the defination of Satguru from SGGS ji itself ?
    Many a times the defination of satguru is written in SGGS ji. Qualities / qualifications/properties of satguru are clearly defined in SGGS ji. just read and try to understand and oneself should come to a conclusion that who is satguru.
    roopsidhu

• Like Like x 1