Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Rene Descartes

Discussion in 'Interfaith Dialogues' started by S|kH, Aug 7, 2004.

Tags:
  1. S|kH

S|kH
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Everyone knows the philosopher Rene Descartes?

Check out these new things I found out about him :

- When he was in his spiritual state, and attempted to further his complete knowledge...he never cut his head hair.

- He always had a comb, and would take proper care of it.

- He would wear an iron bracelet, and put one on his daughter, so they could be united forever, even if they weren't in the same room.

- He carried a small knife with him everywhere. (Reason uknown, as to what I could find out)

Interesting stuff, just thought I'd let you guys know ;)

And I'm pretty certain he never walked around naked...lol :p

Rene Descartes = Founder of Modern Western Philosophy

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Sikh News US Sikh Community Raises Funds For Sikhism Awareness Campaign Breaking News Jul 23, 2016
    Hard Talk Bullying, Sikh Children, And Awareness Hard Talk Jul 6, 2016
    Canada New campaign raises awareness about child sexual abuse Breaking News Mar 1, 2014
    Punjabi Sikh Films Raise Awareness Sikh Youth Feb 27, 2014
    Arts/Society Entrepreneurship Program Gives Trafficked Women a Fresh Start Language, Arts & Culture Sep 2, 2013

3. Neutral Singh

Neutral Singh
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

oh wow !! thanks for sharing !! ;)

4. etinder

etinder
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

wow sikh
    thats cool, but can u share the source of your information too

5. Arvind

Arvind
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor Supporter

Thanks Sikh ji,

Cool piece of information. Do post more about this Founder of Modern Western Philosophy in terms of the work done.

Best Regards.

6. S|kH

S|kH
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

In his book discourse on method,

he states how he carries a knife,

In other books, people have written how he had came back from his "spiritual search" with longer hair, but that was kept neatly combed. (<-- Is that a word?)
    [My philosophy instructor was telling the class this]

and my phil teacher also told us that he used to wear an iron bracelet and he put one on his daughter so they could be kept in union. (His daughter died when she was 6, i believe).

Then asked me why i wore an iron bracelet...he knew about Sikhism, but not the 5 K's and their meanings.

The only one that I've read where Descartes points out to it is in his book Discourse on Method and Meditations of First Philosophy. He says how he carries around a knife for reminder. But doesn't explain it in that book too well. Perhaps it was a personal thing for him?

7. etinder

etinder
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Sikh thanks i guess i have the resource smewhere wud try to look into it.
    thanks n regards

8. Arvind

Arvind
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor Supporter

Off-topic: Faraday used to carry magnets to keep himself reminded of his work for magnetic fields.

So, I guess, most of the things what we do as amritdhari sikhs are just the beginning to keep ourselves reminded. And once one is in real advanced stage, then there is no need of reminders, things just carry on at conscious level.

9. etinder

etinder
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Hi sIkh i think that rene descartes has nothing to do with our gurus or 5 kakaars because i dont think that Guru Gobind Singh ji ever came in contact with the works as Rene descartes (1595-1650) preceeds Guru Gobind Singh ji (1675 - 1708) , i wud logically consider it a coincidence

regards

10. S|kH

S|kH
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Actually, I never even said that Rene Descartes was a sikh, or he knew of the Gurus.

lol, I simply made this thread because I knew it was a "coincidence" and I thought it was cool and interesting.

Anyway, its a coincidence that shows the 5 K's can always symbolize various things for people who didn't even hear of Sikhism before.