• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Religious Messages In Mainstream Movies

DAL13IR

SPNer
May 18, 2011
Sat Sri Akal everyone,

I like watching movies (I know it is an addiction to your senses but that's a separate topic) and I am sometimes quitesurprised when a strong relious message is given in a mainstream movie that I believe they can be used as a softly softly approach to bring religous ideas to people.

I am not talking about out and out reliogous films like 'The Ten Commandments' or 'Man Jeet Jag Jeet' but more of the everyday regular mainstream movies that everyday folk would watch. I have a few examples;

Guide (1965 India) It is in the last few scenes that the religous message is given. I remeber saying to my mother that the stuff Dev Anand's character is talking about sounds like Sikhism. He mentions Ahankar. She said a lot of our philosophies are shared, Sikhism, Hinduism, Bhuddism and Jainism.

Awaarapan (2007 India) Based on the Korean movie 'A Bittersweet Life.' It is about someone who finds a cause and finds god again and learns to live for others. Especially one of the songs: 'Tera Mera Rishta Purana' is a song about someone who finds god again. In one line it says 'Tera yakeen kyon maine kiya nahi.' (why didn't I believe in you before.)

Kung Fu Panda (2008 USA) I think better than me saying it this particular link is better at explaining it: Link to blog removed. We have recent concerns about this type of posting related to bots, in the lifestyle, health and nutrition areas. Apologies . This is a good film to watch with the kids.

The Star Wars Saga (1976 to Date) George Lucas has borrowed the Idea of 'The Force' from eastern philosophies about the infinate energy of the Universe. In Chinese philosophy this is 'Chi' energy and in India it is known as 'Prana'. To harness it you need to focus. (Dhian or do prayer) The plot of Good V Evil may as well be the Ramayan.

Do you have any other suggestions for movies with religous undertones?

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
In the disaster movie 2012, the Indian astrophysicist who first figures out the world is going to end is named Satnam. hehe

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM