Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Interfaith Religious Freedom For Sikhs In The US Armed Forces

Discussion in 'Interfaith Dialogues' started by Tejwant Singh, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Singh United States
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    USA Packed hearing explores new accommodations for religious freedom Breaking News Jan 31, 2014
    Serious challenges to religious freedom remain: Kerry Interfaith Dialogues May 22, 2013
    Canada A headhunter’s nightmare at Canada’s Office of Religious Freedom Breaking News Feb 19, 2013
    Opinion Why Religious Freedom Matters? Breaking News Feb 25, 2012
    Canada Ottawa weighs creating ambassador for religious freedom Breaking News Oct 4, 2011

3. Harkiran Kaur

Harkiran Kaur Canada
    Expand Collapse

Leader

Writer SPNer Contributor

Comparatively, I didn't have that much trouble getting Canadian Forces to allow me to tie turban in uniform, but World Sikh Organization DID have to help. Sikh males were already allowed here, but nobody had heard about Sikh women tying turbans, most thought women didn't, even the military chaplains, who are supposed to be trained in all the major religions. So that was my main hurdle. Glad to see USA is starting to revisit their military rules on this. Though one-time accommodations (waivers) is not the way to do it. They need to write in their military dress manual like we do that Sikhs are allowed to have turbans and articles of faith. And I suspect once they do, it will be same thing... worded as 'males' (at least until some females who want to tie one join).

• Like Like x 1