• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Religious Allegiance

Jan 15, 2008
Kansas & Haiti
Another question.

I have heard on this forum and read in the rehat maryada that a Sikh is not supposed to have any "allegiance" to another religion. Does anybody care to expound on that or explain what is meant by "allegiance" and how that restriction plays out against the inclusiveness of the Guru's message? If all religions belong to him, why is there a restriction? Does this mean that a Sikh (or Khalsa) is not supposed to enjoy participating in other religious services of any kind? If so, why are some writings of Hindus and Muslims in the SGGS?

I am a gospel singer and I am invited to sing at different churches around the city. There are times when I will sing at one church on a Thur night and then again on Sat afternoon, and then play piano for another church on Sunday morning. I stopped doing this for a while because most are Christian churches and I want to be a Sikh. But lately, I have been feeling less inclined to restrict myself in this way. As I read SGGS and learn more about Sikhi, I feel LESS conflict with other religions, not MORE. I also attend secular music events but I don't enjoy them like I used to because there is very little mention of God, even at acoustic jam sessions.

The funny thing is, according to this restriction of religious "allegiance" it would seem that it would be okay for me to attend the musical event that does not include worship of God, but perhaps not the one that DOES because the latter is of a religion other than Sikhi?

What are your thoughts on this my brothers and sisters?

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
ਸਭ ਤੇਰੀ ਤੂੰ ਸਭਨੀ ਧਿਆਇਆ ॥
सभ तेरी तूं सभनी धिआइआ ॥

Sabėrī ūʼn sabḏẖi­ā­i­ā.
All belong to You, all meditate on you.
Guru Ram Das - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok
[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:

singhbj

SPNer
Nov 4, 2007
Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

In simple words Allegiance means loyalty, obligation or devotion to some person, group or nation.

For better understanding of the subject, i would take the example of marriage.

At the time of marriage, couple take marriage vows (solemn promise, pledge or personal commitment) to stay loyal. Now if one or both break their vows or shift their allegianceso what would you call that person ?

Similarly, putting ones feet on two boats at the same time will only result in a fall !

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<<Similarly, putting ones feet on two boats at the same time will only result in a fall !>>

how does any one choose boats?

or why does any one needs boats or vehicles to reach Akal?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: