• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Raags Of Guru Granth Sahib

Oct 21, 2009
India
While studying the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji [electronic copy],I have /read/repeated the first 400-500 pages and I generally stop here. The rest have not been read with concentration.
One can read the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji according to Raags and make notes Raag wise. This has helped me a lot. Hope the following classification would be helpful to you as well.

Raag-wise classification of Sri Guru Granth Sahib
The Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is divided into various sections. The first section contains the epic Japji poem by Guru Nanak, which is not meant to be sung.

Guru Nanak, Japuji, pg. 1 to 8
Guru Nanak, Guru Ram Das, Guru Arjan, Rahiras, pg. 8 to 12
Guru Nanak, Guru Ram Das, Guru Arjan, Kirtan Sohila, pg. 12 to 13

The other sections are a collection of assorted verses including the Slokas and the Swayyas of Bhatts (a group of musicians).

(1) Sri Rag,
(2) Majh,
(3) Gauri,
(4) Asa,
(5) Gujari,
(6) Devgandhari,
(7) Bihagra,
(8) Wadhans,
(9) Sorath,
(10) Dhanasari,
(11) Jaitsari,
(12) Todi,
(13) Bairari,
(14) Tilang,
(15) Suhi,
(16) Bilawal,
(17) Gaund,
(18) Ramkali,
(19) Nat,
(20) Maligaura,
(21) Maru,
(22) Tukhari,
(23) Kedara,
(24) Bhairo,
(25) Basant,
(26) Sarang,
(27) Malar,
(28) Kanara,
(29) Kalian,
(30) Prabhati and
(31) Jaijawanti.

Sub division Division of Raags

The Ragas are further divided into the nature of the metre: (1) Chaupadas: an average of four verses each, (2) Ashtpadis: an average of eight verses each, (3) Special long peoms, (4) Chhants: six line verses, (5) Special short peoms, (6) Vars: consisting of two or more paragraphs (Sloks) followed by a concluding stanza (Pauri) and (7) Poems of Bhagatas (various saints).

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM