Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

1. Monthly (Recurring) Target: $300 :: Achieved: $95
      Become a Supporter    ::   Make a Contribution   

World Puppet - Widowed Egyptian Mother of 2 - Investigated as a Terrorist (BBC video)

Discussion in 'Breaking News' started by spnadmin, Jan 11, 2014.

1. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

#BBCtrending: The Egyptian puppet accused of being a terrorist

Story and video will load at this link
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25681178

Is she sending encoded messages?

A puppet is being investigated by authorities in Egypt over claims that it is behind a terror plot.

Puppet Abla Fahita, a widowed mother of two and YouTube star, appeared in an internet ad for the mobile phone operator Vodafone.

Authorities are investigating claims that the ad had encoded messages about a bomb attack, as the Egyptian government cracks down on the Muslim Brotherhood.

The fate of Abla Fahita has caused waves on social media inspiring a number of hashtags like #FreeAbla.

Mukul Devichand of #BBCtrending secured the first English language interview with Abla Fahita herself.

Produced by Neil Meads

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Loading...

3. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

To give some perspective to this story. Egypt is not the first nation to demonstrate a certain mood of suspicion over a puppet.

A current trend in toys in the US is the Furby - which can be hatched from "you-got-it" toy eggs. The video shows us the new Furby.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Uf3QzQrb0yk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It wasn't always this way. The image for this comment is of the original Furby, adorable, furry, with over-sized ears. And Furby could imitate human speech.

In 1998, Furby became all the rage and parents couldn't scoop them up fast enough for their children in-need-of-a-Furby. The US government saw fit to ban Furby from purveyers of secrecy and spycraft, government offices like NSA. Ironically this report from 1999 also comes from the BBC.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    #2 spnadmin, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  4. Inderjeet Kaur

Inderjeet Kaur
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Supporter

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

• Like Like x 2
  6. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Inderjeet ji
    I was hoping that someone would pick up the Rod Serling theme for the Twilight Zone. The archetype of the evil doll - which magically gains the power to will evil of its own accord - is a Twilight Zone specialty. If you or someone else had not done it I was going to have to do it myself. lol

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hSy8Ko1vSKQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

p/s What I really want to know: Did Egypt or the US get any leads? And were they good?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Inderjeet Kaur

Inderjeet Kaur
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Supporter

That Twilight Zone episode still gives me the superwillies.

Dolls are intrinsically creepy. I hated them as a child and don't much like them now. Puppets are creepier. Creepiest are those ventriloquist dummies.

This takes creepy to a whole new level. I can't decide whether it's really funny or not, but it always has me in stitches. I wonder if he always gets randomly checked at the airport.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHr8pySJiwQ

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

A shame, that video doesn't work Down Under. I'll just think about Krusty the Clown evil doll that tries to kill Homer.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Inderjeet Kaur

Inderjeet Kaur
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Supporter

Oh, dear! Try googling on "Akhmed the dead terrorist." You might be able to find something. Politically incorrect, of course.

:realangrymunda:

Here is a picture of Akhmed the Dead Terrorist.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    #8 Inderjeet Kaur, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  10. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Oh yeah I've seen him before!! Hilarious!

• Like Like x 1
Since you're here... we have a small favor to ask...

More people are visiting & reading SPN than ever but far fewer are paying to sustain it. Advertising revenues across the online media have fallen fast. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. Donating to SPN's is vote for free speech, for diversity of opinions, for the right of the people to stand up to religious bigotry. Without any affiliation to any organization, this constant struggle takes a lot of hard work to sustain as we entirely depend on the contributions of our esteemed writers/readers. We do it because we believe our perspective matters – because it might well be your perspective, too... Fund our efforts and together we can keep the world informed about the real Sikh Sikhi Sikhism. If everyone who writes or reads our content, who likes it, helps us to pay for it, our future would be much more secure. Every Contribution Matters, Contribute Generously!

Become a Supporter      ::     Make a Contribution