Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

World Puppet - Widowed Egyptian Mother of 2 - Investigated as a Terrorist (BBC video)

Discussion in 'Breaking News' started by spnadmin, Jan 11, 2014.

1. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

#BBCtrending: The Egyptian puppet accused of being a terrorist

Story and video will load at this link
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25681178

Is she sending encoded messages?

A puppet is being investigated by authorities in Egypt over claims that it is behind a terror plot.

Puppet Abla Fahita, a widowed mother of two and YouTube star, appeared in an internet ad for the mobile phone operator Vodafone.

Authorities are investigating claims that the ad had encoded messages about a bomb attack, as the Egyptian government cracks down on the Muslim Brotherhood.

The fate of Abla Fahita has caused waves on social media inspiring a number of hashtags like #FreeAbla.

Mukul Devichand of #BBCtrending secured the first English language interview with Abla Fahita herself.

Produced by Neil Meads

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Loading...

3. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

To give some perspective to this story. Egypt is not the first nation to demonstrate a certain mood of suspicion over a puppet.

A current trend in toys in the US is the Furby - which can be hatched from "you-got-it" toy eggs. The video shows us the new Furby.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Uf3QzQrb0yk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It wasn't always this way. The image for this comment is of the original Furby, adorable, furry, with over-sized ears. And Furby could imitate human speech.

In 1998, Furby became all the rage and parents couldn't scoop them up fast enough for their children in-need-of-a-Furby. The US government saw fit to ban Furby from purveyers of secrecy and spycraft, government offices like NSA. Ironically this report from 1999 also comes from the BBC.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    #2 spnadmin, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  4. Inderjeet Kaur

Inderjeet Kaur
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Supporter

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

• Like Like x 2
  6. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Inderjeet ji
    I was hoping that someone would pick up the Rod Serling theme for the Twilight Zone. The archetype of the evil doll - which magically gains the power to will evil of its own accord - is a Twilight Zone specialty. If you or someone else had not done it I was going to have to do it myself. lol

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hSy8Ko1vSKQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

p/s What I really want to know: Did Egypt or the US get any leads? And were they good?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Inderjeet Kaur

Inderjeet Kaur
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Supporter

That Twilight Zone episode still gives me the superwillies.

Dolls are intrinsically creepy. I hated them as a child and don't much like them now. Puppets are creepier. Creepiest are those ventriloquist dummies.

This takes creepy to a whole new level. I can't decide whether it's really funny or not, but it always has me in stitches. I wonder if he always gets randomly checked at the airport.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHr8pySJiwQ

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

A shame, that video doesn't work Down Under. I'll just think about Krusty the Clown evil doll that tries to kill Homer.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Inderjeet Kaur

Inderjeet Kaur
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Supporter

Oh, dear! Try googling on "Akhmed the dead terrorist." You might be able to find something. Politically incorrect, of course.

:realangrymunda:

Here is a picture of Akhmed the Dead Terrorist.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    #8 Inderjeet Kaur, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  10. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Oh yeah I've seen him before!! Hilarious!

• Like Like x 1