• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Proud To Be Sikh!

Ajitpal

SPNer
Apr 4, 2010
Proud to be Sikh!!!

Just recently my nephew re-directed a snippet by Harjinder Singh in the Sikh Philosophy Network; he entitled it as “Leaving Sikhism: I have been brought up as a devout Sikh (No meat, alcohol and so forth) for 19 years .For the past 2-3 year I have been contemplating leaving not just Sikhism but the entire idea of religion and God (I have about 2% belief that God really exists).

This has been brought about by things such as living in a multi-cultural London and witnessing first-hand the absurdity of religion, understanding that when somebody chooses a religion they automatically condemn the rest of mankind that a life in the service of a God that may not exist is a one and only wasted life and many more thoughts similar to these. And no these thoughts didn't come from brain washing (lol) or any one human I've come into contact with but rather through general knowledge reasoning and more importantly my studies in both psychology and philosophy. I guess what I'm looking for is an intelligent and informed take on my current situation which my parents, close family, friends and even my local Gurdwara could not provide to help me make this life changing decision.”
It was so heartbreaking to note that someone who was in Sikhi is drifting away from a faith that is unique and is fairly clear in its message to help achieve solace and salvation; the only way is to meditate in the name of God. God is one and the message is quite clear in the Mool Mantar (main chant or root verse of the magic chant. The Mool Mantar appears at the beginning of the Guru Granth Sahib and distils the essence of the Sikh faith. The creed of the religion, it was composed by Guru Nanak Dev Ji, the Founder of the Sikh faith. The origins of Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, Confucianism, Judaism and other faiths were much earlier and Guru Nanak Dev Ji had the opportunity to analyse the faiths and to stamp out ritualism and idolatry; the Sikh faith then came into existence. Its words are so important that the true meaning cannot be translated to give the true essence of the meaning; The Mool Mantar speaks of the Oneness of God and his eternal existence, and his role as creator and sustainer of all things. He is said to be beyond times, births and deaths (Ik Onkar Satnam Karta Purukh Nirbhau Nirvair Akaal Puruk Ajooni Saibhang Gurprasad). People know him through the Grace of the Guru, which means through himself, because Nanak always refers to God himself as the Guru. The pithy message of naam japna (to be in tune with the infinite through meditation on the Divine qualities so that the believer becomes filled with His Naam), wand chakana (to share the fruits of earnings with the needy) and kirt karni (to earn one’s livelihood through creative, productive and honest labour) acts as the guidance and advice to live the Sikh way of life.

Education equips individual with detailed knowledge of any field whether it is philosophy, psychology or law. The knowledge prompts the individuals to analyse the existence of God in scientific terms. Mysticism and personal spiritual links are difficult to explain and reason on the basis of science or theory. Analysis has no place for spirituality because of its mysticism and it is difficult to explain in logical terms. The belief in his existence gives the individual the Grace and the strength to achieve his aspirations and ambitions in life. The thought of even saying that God does not exist because he is not palpable and visible but those who transcends in meditation in his name, are able to enjoy the presence of God or Waheguru( The Wondrous One). It is liken to asking a deaf person to describe the taste and sweetness of food consumed.

There are many anecdotes (inspirational ones!) of others embracing the Sikh faith and it is worth reading their experiences. It is worth reading the experience by Georgia Rangel, now re-named as Jivanjot Kaur to get all the inspiration. I accept others coming into the faith but not leaving the faith after they have realised the benefits. She commented that the Sikh faith is a religion that has no place for misconceptions, fallacies and rituals. She derived a sense of peace and equipoise from the Gurbani (Dhhur ki Bani aaye); the Gurdwaras just have to have well educated Ministers of Religion to propagate the faith and it will automatically speeded up. She felt the future of the faith is bright, wholesome and animated philosophy. It is to be practiced in every aspect with every breadth, depth and deed. The recent two converts on the Sikhnet brings forth the beauty of Sikhi.

Sikhs as a rule do not pursue people to convert them to Sikh faith. Sikhs do not give the world the impression that unless you convert to Sikh faith, you are going to go to hell. However, Guru Nanak Dev Ji travelled saying a prayer, “Oh my kind master, Lord, I pray unto you, save this burning world". He's not talking about Panjab. He’s not talking about India. He’s talking about all of mankind. “With your kind grace, save this world”. Guru Nanak Dev Ji saw the world burning in hate, anger, ego, greed, and other worldly entanglements. He was not trying to convert people to Sikh faith but was delivering the message of God and helping people become in direct contact with God. The people that got inspired by him became his followers and were known as Sikhs.

Guru Nanak Dev Ji comments on religion, “It doesn’t matter to me from which source he/she is inspired. My prayer unto dear God is, please take that person into your arms, if that person is inspired to come and meet with You”. How you are inspired does not matter so long as you are inspired rightly into God’s arms and we should be tolerant enough to accept other’s sources of inspiration.

Guru Nanak Dev Ji and the successive nine Great Gurus came into the world only 500 years ago. Could Sikhs say, “Unless you turn around and be Sikhs otherwise you will go to hell?” Absolutely not! Does that mean before 500 years ago everybody went to hell? Absolutely not! Did everyone before Jesus burned in hell? According to Sikh faith, Absolutely Not! Sikhs respect Jesus, Gautama Buddha, Muhammad and other prophets that came into this world to spread the message of God to love humanity but Sikhs do not believe that Jesus or any other prophet is the only way to meet God.

Sikhs do not pursue people to convert them in the Sikh fold but do give information about the Sikh faith to anyone who asks for it. If someone is inspired, and wants to become a Sikh, they are welcome to the Sikh fold.
The Sikhs believe in the concept of karma, the law of moral cause and effect that means that living a good life will lead to favourable reincarnation after death. The whole aim is to reach a spiritual bliss that puts them beyond the cycle of births and death (Charusi lakh jooni). By meditating in his name, God enables them to achieve this state of perfection and one has to have that unwavering and staunch faith in Him who is present everywhere. Sikhi is about serving the community, that is, the concept of sewa meaning selfless service. The sewa starts from home, to others and community at large. Sikhs believe that the humanity was created by God and therefore all humanity are equal; equality was advocated by Gurus and the concept of the sangat (congregation) sitting on the floor (pangat) to partake reflects equality and fraternity.

Sikhs ethics are grounded firmly in the need to do good to others. It is the awareness of the Sikhs of the five cardinal virtues and vices. The whole practical approach is to uphold the virtues by focussing in the name of God and with his Grace to vanquish the five vices that tends to hinder the spiritual achievements of subjective bliss. The Grace enables the individual to control the lust, anger, greed, attachment and arrogance. Simplicity and humility are to be infused in all, as these attributes are a fertile ground for knowledge, bhagti and self-discipline for meditation. Sikhi path also inculcates the five virtues of truth, contentment, service, patience and humility. Such virtues are evident in those who are devoted to God.

Merits and demerits accrue from one’s actions. Those who do good deeds during this span of life, become nearer to God and others just slip away. A person’s actions (the merits and demerits accrue) throughout life attract karma (a spiritual credit and debit system) and this will determine his final destiny for the salvation of soul. As a Sikh, by meditating in his name, doing good deeds and being in the company or congregation of like-minded people, will lead to the nourishment of the soul; he will feel contented and be at solace with himself and the Creator, God or Waheguru. Those leaving the Sikh faith will lose out on this and it does not cost anyone anything to be a proud Sikh to gain all the advantages in life by just mediating in His Name ( Mool Mantar, or Shabad Guru).
References:

Eyewitness Companions- Religions by Philip Wilkinson 2008
Sikhi Wikhi- Mool Mantar; Encyclopaedia of the Sikhs

Daljit Singh

Last edited by a moderator:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: