• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Movies Phillauri - A Review

ashdoc

Movie Critic
SPNer
Jul 19, 2011
i walked out of the theatre after getting bored with this bollywood movie called 'phillauri' . phillauri is the name of a village in punjab region of north west india .

the story starts with a young man ( suraj sharma ) coming back to india from his job in canada to get married to his beautiful long term girlfriend ( mehreen pirzada ) . but in canada he has got into a habit of smoking and intaking drugs .

in india he is confronted with a quaint superstition that one might think comes from the dark ages but exists in parts of india---an astrologer declares him to be unlucky for getting married unless he first marries a tree and later marries his girlfriend . so he is married to this tree .

what anybody does not know is the fact that on the tree resides a female ghost ( anushka sharma ) , and his marriage gets solemnised with the ghost . the ghost then comes to stalk him every night ; passes comments on the exposing clothes that his girlfriend wears called her nude .

of course , the ghost has her own past love story of a lover ( diljit dosanjh ) in past life . but by this time i was getting mega irritated with the permanently confused and bored expression on the hero's face . the film has been marketed as a comedy but in the one hour i was in the theatre i hardly laughed once or twice . the proceedings were dull and utterly failed to hold my interest .

the only time i felt like laughing was when the girlfriend's drunkard grandmother ( she starts drinking at 9 in the morning ) joked about her husband screwing her in somebody else's house in her youth , and when her son ( girlfriend's father ) tried to shut her up she claimed that he wouldn't have been born if her husband was not so horny....i then waited for more jokes of this kind but when no more were forthcoming , i walked out....

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
i walked out of the theatre after getting bored with this bollywood movie called 'phillauri' . phillauri is the name of a village in punjab region of north west india .

the story starts with a young man ( suraj sharma ) coming back to india from his job in canada to get married to his beautiful long term girlfriend ( mehreen pirzada ) . but in canada he has got into a habit of smoking and intaking drugs .

in india he is confronted with a quaint superstition that one might think comes from the dark ages but exists in parts of india---an astrologer declares him to be unlucky for getting married unless he first marries a tree and later marries his girlfriend . so he is married to this tree .

what anybody does not know is the fact that on the tree resides a female ghost ( anushka sharma ) , and his marriage gets solemnised with the ghost . the ghost then comes to stalk him every night ; passes comments on the exposing clothes that his girlfriend wears called her nude .

of course , the ghost has her own past love story of a lover ( diljit dosanjh ) in past life . but by this time i was getting mega irritated with the permanently confused and bored expression on the hero's face . the film has been marketed as a comedy but in the one hour i was in the theatre i hardly laughed once or twice . the proceedings were dull and utterly failed to hold my interest .

the only time i felt like laughing was when the girlfriend's drunkard grandmother ( she starts drinking at 9 in the morning ) joked about her husband screwing her in somebody else's house in her youth , and when her son ( girlfriend's father ) tried to shut her up she claimed that he wouldn't have been born if her husband was not so horny....i then waited for more jokes of this kind but when no more were forthcoming , i walked out....

Just watched the movie yesterday and i think, it was one of the most beautifully expressed movie in recent times...

The movie actually started where you decided to walk out... As a seasoned movie critic, I would request you not to make a review without watching the full movie.

I think the comedy part was very well executed and made the foundations of a mesmerizing climax, which you ironically did not to watch.

Besides the cinematic beauty, the movie watching experience has been enhanced with an amazing music. I think, Suraj Sharma played his role of a confused Canadian to the perfection. There were no sudden transitions in his character as happens in a typical Hindi movie, where a hero transforms overnight. I actually liked the confused him in his character.

When the movie started, I was frightened to see the character of Daljit Dosanj, who started as a typical drunkard and addict Punjabi villager. Almost occurred to me that Dajit is playing the new Gurdass Mann, who spoiled a complete generation with songs like Apna Punjab hove, Ghar di Sharab Hove... but Daljit instilled my faith in him with his transformation later in the movie... The movie also shows the present state of affairs in Punjab, where drinking habit has reached an epidemic level.

The climax turned out to be a beautiful tribute to the people massacred in Jallianwala Bagh, Amritsar in 1919 which was a tear-jerking moment for me amongst many others later in the movie.

All in all, I would give it a 4 out of 5 stars for being able to present a meaningful cinema.

All characters played their part to the perfection.

I would watch it again soon... :)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: