Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Christianity Passion of the Christ

Discussion in 'Interfaith Dialogues' started by namjiwankaur, Oct 20, 2012.

Tags:
  1. namjiwankaur

namjiwankaur
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

Sat Nam _/|\_

I just finished watching Passion of the Christ. I had never seen it before. It was so intense and when the movie was over, I couldn't move for a few minutes. And I also felt I understood Jesus' suffering as never before.

Here is a link to the movie on Youtube. Its the whole movie, but doesn't include the opening and closing credits.

Passion of The Christ ã€HQ】 - YouTube
    (the movie is very intense and gory so don't watch if you are sensitive to that)

For those who have seen it, how do Sikhs respond to Jesus and his teachings and how he suffered and was crucified? I know Muslims don't believe he actually ended up on the cross; they believe someone took his place. And I know of some really awesome teachings amongst Hindu scholars who show the mystical qualities of Jesus' teachings.

Nam Jiwan :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    A Lesson In Compassion Blogs Mar 18, 2016
    How Asperger's reignited a passion for art (interview with Raj Singh Tattal) Face to Face Apr 2, 2014
    Dalai Lama’s Lessons for New Grads on Global Responsibility and Compassion Interfaith Dialogues May 21, 2013
    India Sikh Regiment's Passion for Excellence Breaking News May 19, 2013
    Love And Compassion Interfaith Dialogues Mar 26, 2013

3. Ambarsaria

Ambarsaria Canada
    Expand Collapse
    ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
    Writer SPNer Contributor Supporter

Namjiwankaur ji Sikh Guru ji through Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji do not cover Christianity much or Jesus.

You may be interested in the following two posts,

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-...ction-sikh-reht-maryada-srm-4.html#post174414

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-...ction-sikh-reht-maryada-srm-4.html#post174421

They are rather direct but not to offend. I will take the "Turk" reference to kind of also apply to Christians. Even though one should not generalize so there may be an error in such an approach and I beg a pardon before hand.

Regards.

PS: If someone made a film of the following it will be quite revolting too,

[​IMG]

http://www.info-sikh.com/BundhaPage2.html
    [​IMG]

Above a depiction of Guru Arjan Dev ji's killing by Muslim rulers. Guru ji collected most of the Gurbani in SGGS and organized, collated it as well as penned quite a bit himself. Story is that he was seated on hot plate while hot sand was poured over him. He was then taken for a dip to a near river so that the blisters develop and be ever more painful. He returned to the creator in this process.

Sikh body proper was cured in such kilns. The result was not revenge-fullness or hatred but the building of a spine to stand and be counted. It perhaps has become severely diluted over time.

• Like Like x 7
    #2 Ambarsaria, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  4. Luckysingh

Luckysingh United States
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer

It's an excellent film and I would recommend it for anyone interested.
    The teachings of Jesus are not mentioned much in this movie as it is about the final 12 or so hours.
    But I find that most of the teacings of Jesus are in line and somewhat similar to sikhi philosophy.
    I don't find anything absolutely anti-sikh in any way.

My first real introduction to God was Jesus and the bible, as I was raised in a predominant white UK where every kid carried their own copy of the bible.
    So the influenceof christianity was an important factor in my life on many accounts, hence I still use the words God and Lord very openly on here unlike other members who may find it a little alien.

• Like Like x 3
  5. prakash.s.bagga

prakash.s.bagga
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

It seems that Re-establihing of TRUTH is a cyclic process.And every time the process of re establishing of TRUTH has never been an easy task .This is clear from all such incidences may be related to the lives of Jesus,Mohammad Sahib or Sikh GuRu.or any
    other incidences I may not be knowing.

But TRUTH usually hurts a lot and for this TRUTH also has to suffer a lot.

Prakash.S.Bagga

• Like Like x 2
  6. esieffe

esieffe
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

My first memory of the Christian church. My father was an Episcopal Priest. I was in the nursery. Everyone gathered around an alter and sang "Yes Jesus Loves Me." I asked one of the matrons who Jesus was to which she replied, "Aren't you Father Siefferman's son?" I told her I was. She then in some oddly placed horror suggested I ask my father that question. He found the whole thing very amusing.

The really odd thing was, even at that tender young age, I didn't buy it. I got the whole explanation over time, and nothing ever changed that. I did however believe in God. I felt like his presence, power, and awareness were everywhere. It made no sense to me that anyone could attribute negative, ugly, human emotions like anger, vengeance, and jealousy to a divine and perfect being such as God.

I was so happy later to find out that I was right. I am sure Jesus was a great Guru or teacher. But that was and is the extent of my Christian beliefs. :peacesignkaur:

• Like Like x 5