• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Parents

Jazz

SPNer
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham, England, UK
WGJKK WGJKF

As I was asked, I am asking ... Can anyone please point out any guidlines from our dharam about the relationship between parents and their children?

In particular, I remember when as a child, a relative once told me about the time one of Guru Nanaks sons questioned him about Guru jis instruction to him, something about a shoe and a tree or something .... the 'moral' I was told was not to question ones father (parent).

My understanding is that we are to, try and understand our parents, to respect, love, and follow the guidelines set by them. To obey 'without question', that I may have issue with.

can anyone comment please.

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear Jazz

As per my current understanding for a sikh who is spirtually attuned then his Parents and siblings ( Mata, Pita ) sieze to exist as sperate entity and all is Akal Himself and guru ji conforms to this is thier bani
Tu mera pita, Tu hai mera mata,
Tu mera bandhap,tu mera bhraata,
Tu mera raakhaa sabhnee thaayee
Ta bhav ke haakaara jiyo

Tumhari kirpa te tudh pachhaana
Tu meree oat Tu hai mera maana
Tujh bina doojaa avar na koyee
Sabh teraa khel akhaara jiyo
Tu mera raakhaa sabhnee thaayee
Ta bhav kehaa kaaraa jeeyo

Jeeya jant sabh tudhu upaaye,
jit jit bhaanaa {censored} {censored} laayey
Sabh kichhu keeta tera hovey
Naahi kachhu asaaraa jiyo
Tu mera raakhaa sabhnee thaayee,
Ta bhav kehaa kaaraa jiyo

Naam dhiyaaye mahaa sukh payaa,
Hari gun gaaye. Mera man seetlaaya,
Gur poorey vajee vaadhaayee,
Nanak jitaa bikhaaraa jiyo
Tu mera raakhaa sabhnee thaayee,
Ta bhav kehaa kaaraa jiyo

So in our life both parents and kids show draw guidlines from Gurmat and it hardly leaves a place for personal guidlines

About respecting parents it also os very important issue for a child as it is spirtual Kindergarden for kid when he can see his parents caring for him , providing him for every need without asking for return and so in higher spirtual classes this lesson help him understand his relation to the All Preveding Lord ( Mother+Father) which provides for everything to everyone .

Jatinder Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM