• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

S Asia Pakistan To Get Its First Sikh Province Assembly Member

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Pakistan to gets it first Sikh Province Assembly Member

By Ravinder Singh Robin, Amritsar, Dec 8 : Following the induction of Sikhs into various government bodies in Pakistan, a Sikh living in Pakistan has successfully made an entry into Pakistani Politics.

Kalyan Singh Kalyan, a writer by profession and hailing from the birthplace of Guru Nanak, filed his nomination paper for the reserved seats of minorities for four provincial assemblies and the National Assembly.

The Pakistan People's Party (PPP) is supporting Kalyan Singh for the seat.

Out of the 377 Punjab Assembly seats, 10 seats are reserved for the minorities - six for Christians, two for Hindus one for the Quadian and one for the other five minorities, including Sikhs.

Only a Sikh has filed his nomination among the five minorities, including Sikhs, Buddhist, Kailash, Bahi and Parsi.

Kalyan, who was here for the release of his third book on "Sikh Culture," told ANI "After becoming MPA, my priority would be to facilitate the young generations entry into institutions of higher education and also to provide them jobs in government offices".

"A few members of our community have got inducted in the Pakistan Government services, but there is lot that is yet to be done to get our new generation government employment," added Kalyan.

He said Sikhs were demanding a quota in various sectors, and he would do his effort to convince the Pakistan Government to meet this demand.

After completing his graduation from Nankana Sahib, Kalyan did his Master in Arts from Punjab University, Lahore. He has translated three books into Shahmukhi language. His many articles have been published in Pakistani newspapers.

It is pertinent to mention that Pakistan welcomed its first-ever Sikh officer, Harcharan Singh, into its national army, Gulab Singh into the Punjab Police as a Sub Inspector and Dr. Mahipal Singh, a doctor into the government services.

"Each one them got their jobs on merit," Kalyan said.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Re: Pakistan to gets it first Sikh Province Assembly Member

Pakistan is becoming very kind to sikhs,First a sikh in pak army,then anand marriage act and now a member in pak assembly.

Is there something fishy?

Apr 4, 2007

Pakistan is becoming very kind to sikhs,First a sikh in pak army,then anand marriage act and now a member in pak assembly.

what, you mean because democratic india treats sikhs worse than the islamic republic of pakistan? :D

Apr 4, 2007

what, you mean because democratic india treats sikhs worse than the islamic republic of pakistan? :D

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand

It is not a comparison of any Democracy with a Dictatorship that almost has made Pakistan a failed state and literally a bankrupt state. It is shocking that by getting the sympathies of the sikhs who are outsted from India for reasons will get a free rendezvous in Pakistan instead of Canada to create nuisance for the sikhs living in India. Yes, I am hinting at the banned outfit of Babbar Khalsa which is in truck with Islamic fundamentalist. Indian sikhs cannot tolerate the nuisance that they would be required to face if sikhs start aligning with pakistan due to ultra-pro sikh agenda.

Indian sikhs can ill afford to forgo what they have recovered after almost over two decades.
We know what it means to be in 84 riots in India.

E&OE

I really dont think an "islamic republic" run by an unpopular dictator has the interests in mind of an ultra-minority. The dictator must always try to eliminate threats and gain popularity by satisfying his "base".

I think (although i wouldnt be able to prove) that upward social mobility of sikhs within india is much higher than in pakistan.

just a hunch...after veiwing pakistans treatment of its indigenous Pashtun tribes. A dictator can be just as ruthless and turn on a whim.

both countries are horrible when it comes to preserving civil liberties (however i would say pakistan more so than india, simply because they have no constitution and no democracy, and increasingly more lawlessnes and islamic fundamentalism)
(the islamic fundamentalism is something that the dictator must internalize or he faces expulsion)
one may also contribute the rise of these fundamentalist veiws to dictatorship.

Apr 4, 2007

I am just wondering why pakistan is becoming so kind to sikhs

maybe they want more of punjab? maybe they see how alienated sikhs are feeling in india and are looking to gain favor? i do find it interesting that other minorities are also allowed these seats but have not taken advantage of the fact yet...

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: