Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Origins Of Kara Prasad

Discussion in 'Sikh Sikhi Sikhism' started by findingmyway, Sep 16, 2010.

1. findingmyway

findingmyway
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Contributor Supporter

Where did karah parshad originate from? What was it's original function? What are the meanings of the ingredients? Why do some people use suji but others dont? Is 'blessed food' an incorrect translation?

:yum:

Thanks for educating me

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Neanderthal clues to cancer origins Health & Nutrition Jun 6, 2013
    Zafaranama and Sikh Poetry and Nihang Origins Dasam Granth Jul 29, 2012
    Islam New book on the origins of Islam Interfaith Dialogues Apr 20, 2012
    Hinduism The Origins and Ownership of Yoga Interfaith Dialogues Dec 6, 2010
    A Salmon's Tale: Science, Religion and the Search for Origins Interfaith Dialogues Jul 19, 2010

3. eropa234

eropa234
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Re: Karah Parshad origins

It goes back to the times of our Gurus who treated disciples originally with a piece of "GUD" (brown sugar) later of use of flower became popular mixed with gud cooked in a Karahi hence called Kara pursued.

But true pursaad is the knowledge and wisdom eaten by the mind, it always stays with you that is the pursaad one should seek. wahmunda

• Like Like x 9
  4. findingmyway

findingmyway
    Expand Collapse

I agree. However, why do we now have a ritual for distributing karah parshad?

5. kds1980

kds1980 India
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Karah prashad is basically Halwaa ,Which is very popular sweet Dish in South Asia.I Think the concept of muh mitha karana That is why it was distribuited from the time of Guru's.
    Btw not all Gurdwara's distribute Karah prashad.Many small Gurdwara's just give you patasha if you visit them on time when hardly anyone is there and if Bhai ji is not goossipping with his friends LOL

• Like Like x 2
  6. eropa234

eropa234
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Some believe its holy and have special powers, my suggestion is to enjoy it its delicious but, in my view, it has no special powers it has the same fate as the non holy food icecreammunda

• Like Like x 3
  7. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

findingmyway ji

I am bumping the thread because some of your original questions still need to be answered.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Seeker9

Seeker9 United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse
    Cleverness is not wisdom
    SPNer Supporter

I'm very much a learner here so please correct me if I say anything wrong. I have seen the parshad stirred with a silver dagger before it is distributed. This reminds me of the Khande de pahul Amrit ceremony. Could there be some connection there?

9. Navdeep88

Navdeep88 Canada
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Supporter

findingmyway ji,

When I was a kid, we'd spend almost the whole sunday at the Gurdwara. Morning diwan, afternoon playtime in the parking lot, and evening diwan. During that time, my brother and I got the chance to do seva. I remember specifically there was an uncle in the kitchen I use to help with storage, an uncle I used to hang around while he did laundry for the "rumalas", and sometimes wander into the room where deg was made *sigh, memories!

anyways, when deg was being prepared, there was simran done. bibis do simran when they make langar.

In comparison, I've also had to work in an indian reception hall to pay for school. food is prepared there too. quite differently.

do you believe things like food, water carry a certain vibration from how they are prepared? many people take "jal" from gurdwaras? im very very curious about this.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh Malaysia
    Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

Jasleen Ji...
    I have been making "Karrah parshaad" for 150 years...and I can tell you reliably that YES..the Food/water etc..can get "vibrated"................IF the PERSON making the karrah parshaad has the intention..has the full concentration..and no outside influences on his Mann....a POORAN GURSIKH preparing Karrah parshad in full Banna reading banee fervently is a sight to behold....SADLY this is NOT the NORM Now adays..even in Gurdwaras..where PAID people are doing all this...and PAID pathees are being relayed over SPEAKERS..while 99.9% of the people have their MANNS elsewhere...gosspipping silently !!! Guru nanak Ji taught this lesson in the Sultan Pur Mosque in memeory of which a Gurdwara called Antarymata Gurdwara now stands.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Gurfatehji

What is "patasha"? Is that the yummy milky cotton candy/fairy floss stuff?

Thanks
    Ish

12. kds1980

kds1980 India
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

They are something like sugar cakes

13. findingmyway

findingmyway
    Expand Collapse

I think rather than changing the vibration of the food, these practices are a great way of focussing the mind of the people preparing the food. The simran, paath is not for the benefit of the food but for the benefit of the sevadaar. The food tastes better, not because it is changed, but because the mindset of the person eating it is changed.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh Malaysia
    Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

Patahsas melt in the mouth..they are hard to touch..fluffy sort made of sugar...one cna only find them in India..Punjab...esp///i eat lots when i visit Punjab...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Arvind

Arvind
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor Supporter

Guru Gobind Singh Ji brought forward a scientific revelation which is proved by Dr. Emoto's water crystals recently. Whatever we do, speak, feel affects directly the things around us including us. Gyani ji gave a beautiful example how the effect gets powerful.

What I understand ....the karrah made out of wheat, when warm, has medicinal effects. Singhs used to put it on their wounds to heal those faster. Karrah when made while reciting gurubaani, and offered to the Guru becomes Parshad. The Parshad is distributed among sangat as Guru's blessings.

There are so many things in this world, about which even if we dont know or dont want to know their significance, they will still affect us. Then why not enjoy the super effect blissfully.

With Regards.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Navdeep88

Navdeep88 Canada
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Supporter

Thank you Arvind Ji!

Gonna check out the water crystals experiment you mentioned...

17. saruplanda

saruplanda
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

GurFateh ji,

Karha Parshad is, scared to the sikh religion, and its originated from time of gru gobind singh ji, Karah Parshad is a Sanctified during the ardas and the distributed to the sadh sangat (congregation) while they are seated in the Darbar sahib.
    this way the sangat showes their respect and take blessing from guru ji for the sacred Gurprsad.:redturban: