Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

1.   Become a Supporter    ::   Make a Contribution   
    Target (Recurring Monthly): $200 :: Achieved: $98

Original Karam And Reciprocal Karam . How Does One Know ?

Discussion in 'Sikh Sikhi Sikhism' started by Seeker2013, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Seeker2013

Seeker2013 India
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Karam produces result. Thats what we take as an axiom, no ?
    So if I do good karmas (charity, being kind , grateful, believing in god, serving in gurdwara, etc)
    then I get joy which gives my mind happiness !
    On the contrary, if I do bad karams , I get suffering which gives my mind sadness !

But if I do bad to someone , did that person "deserve" it , because of their past bad karams
    OR
    Am I creating a new bad karam for myself that I will have to pay for in future ?

The first one is reciprocal karam (in my own language) , the second one is original one.

Also , if I hurted someone because of the fact that me hurting him is result of his past bad karam, then will I still be punished for hurting him ?

Can you see this chain of karams ?? how complicated it can be ?

But are there really such 2 kinds of karams ?

Well we do know from ancient indians that there are "sanchit karams" , "prarabdh karams" , etc.

sanchit means accumulated karams not yet expended,
    prarabdh is what caused this birth and we have to bear results of prarabdh karams, there's no turning around from it, be it good or bad.

But if every joy and grief I get is earned by my own self via "karams" , and if my future karams are also influenced by my current and past ones,
    then what / who caused the original karam , the first karam !?

Also how can one distinguish between aforementioned original karam and reciprocal karam in our day to day lives ?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Gurus Original Hukamnamas From 10th King History of Sikhism Feb 18, 2015
    SIKLIGAR: A Documentary on the Original Weapons Makers of the Sikhs Hard Talk Dec 17, 2014
    Gurus The Original Sources of Sikh History History of Sikhism Jan 2, 2013
    In Sikhism is there original sin? Or are humans morally self-conscious entities? Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Dec 12, 2012
    General Akhand Paath in languages other than the original Hard Talk Jul 19, 2012

3. Sikhilove

Sikhilove Qatar
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer

Too much worldly logic Bhaji.

Karams are the deeds earned on the behalf of the deeds done.

We reap what we sow. All we need to know is that to create better Karams for ourselves, we should commit better deeds. Whether we need to pay off past life Karams or Karams from this life is up to him.

Guru Ji told us not to commit misdeeds even in dreams. Even our thoughts create Karams for us as they are desires- bad thought/ intent= bad desire.

SILENCE the mind, be happy with what u have, be a good soul, do Bandgi and Simran, work hard and support your own life.

please cease reference to external websites that laud living Gurus thank you

It has info about karam in the writings section.

• Like Like x 1
    #2 Sikhilove, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2017
  4. Original

Original
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer

Seeker 2013 Ji

Nowhere than in Sikhism is the theory of Karma better explained; tried n tested. The proof is in the pudding, stand-up and look and you'll see a "happy" social mix, holding both status quo and prosperity within their reach. They "rule" [note, not the world but themselves]. Simply because of their ideological belief, meaning, do good reap good. In truth, Singh's are Kings and Kaur's are Queens.

Sikhilove has capped it good n proper [#2], but suffice to add if you were to use plausible conjectures or hypotheses and then proceed to test them by seeing how well they could predict or explain relevant data, that might pay dividends. Bearing in mind of course, the traditional Punjabi maxim, "jo karah so bhara" [she/he who does reaps also].

From a scientific perspective you could possible deduce that there is past, present n future [time] and that the world operates through linear cause-effect relationships; meaning, every time you make a choice you cause an effect and that effect becomes the cause of yet another effect and so on. And, because of the "singularity" self [you] things have to happen in a series of events, that is, one at a time. So when you walk from A to B you leave behind a timeline to appear. This timeline is your trail and since the universe operates in a linear mode it also has an inbuilt just deserts system called "equilibrium" to dispense justice. None of this is conceivable by the human intellect simply because we are not seeing the completeness of life and this limited view of our existence is the reason why we fail to see how, why, every living being gets precisely what it deserves - no less no more.

Let me cap it thus, you are today the result of your yesterday full stop. Any moaning n groaning can be legitimately assigned to the human condition save make a fresh start to your life "today" to reap desirable tomorrow.

Good day !

• Like Like x 1
  5. RD1

RD1 Canada
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Very interesting post, never thought about karma like that before.
    I guess we cannot overthink it, and just live as best as we can, do good, and spread positive karma.

• Like Like x 1
Since you're here... we have a small favor to ask...

More people are visiting & reading SPN than ever but far fewer are paying to sustain it. Advertising revenues across the online media have fallen fast. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. Donating to SPN's is vote for free speech, for diversity of opinions, for the right of the people to stand up to religious bigotry. Without any affiliation to any organization, this constant struggle takes a lot of hard work to sustain as we entirely depend on the contributions of our esteemed writers/readers. We do it because we believe our perspective matters – because it might well be your perspective, too... Fund our efforts and together we can keep the world informed about the real Sikh Sikhi Sikhism. If everyone who writes or reads our content, who likes it, helps us to pay for it, our future would be much more secure. Every Contribution Matters, Contribute Generously!

Become a Supporter      ::     Make a Contribution