• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Noted Punjabi Writer Santokh Singh Dhir Passed Away

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Noted Punjabi writer Santokh Singh Dhir passed away PunjabNewsline.com - Noted Punjabi writer Santokh Singh Dhir passed away Punjab Newsline Network The world renowned Punjabi writer Santokh Singh Dhir on Monday passed away at the age of 100 years after prolonged illness at PGI Chandigarh.

Born on December 2, 1920 Sanotkh Singh Dhir Sahitya Academy Award winner Punjabi writer has written 50 books including poetry, novels, short stories and travelogues. He was awarded Sahitya Academy Award in 1996 for Pakhi, a collection of short stories. He was also awarded Shiromani Sahitkaar Award, Punjabi top literary honour in 2004.

Santokh Singh Dhir was known for his progressive writings. His tranlated poems also appeared in The Tribune. Satpal Dang, the veteran communist leader had translated the poem, “I am not an informer” — a poem which reminds people of the days of militancy in Punjab when people belonging to the left parties were often killed after being accused of being police informers. Another poem, “The White Horse” was translated by Balwant Gargi.

Personal tragedy struck Dheer when his son in law Bant Singh Raipuri was killed. In 1988, Dheer wrote the poem “nay, I will not shed tears”

Nay
I will not shed tears
I will not tarnish the deep
of this blood with my tears
I will not defile it

His mosr memorable books are Giddiyan Pottelai (1944), Pauhfutala (1948), Dharti Mangde Mhin Ve (1952), Pat Chharai Puranian (1955), Bihriar (1960), Agg de Patte (1976), Kali Barchi (1980), Sanjeevni (1983), Singhwali (1983), Aaun wala Suraj (1985), Jado Asin Aawagai (1988), Peir (Unpublished).
Short-Stories: Shytian de Chawan (1950), Sewar Hon Tek (1955), Sanji Kandh (1958), Sarab da Glass (1970), Usha Bhen ji Chup San (1991), Pakhi (1991).
Novel: Sarabi (New Name ‘Do Phool’) (1963), Yadgar (1979), Meinoo Ek Suphna Aaia (1991), Hindostan Hamara (1994), Nawan Janam (Unpublished).
Safarnama: Meri Enbgland Yatra (1978).
Essay: Lok Geetan Barie, Punjab deian Lok-Kahanian.
Selected Writtings: Merian Shresth Kahanian (1980), Meri Pratnidh Rachna (1991).
Translation: Kabir Bachnawali (1967).

Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal expressed profound grief over the sad demise of Santokh Singh Dhir.

In a condolence message, the Chief Minister said that in the death of Dhir Punjabi literary world has lost a gem that always worked relentlessly for the promotion of Punjabi Language and served the motherland.

Badal expressed heartfelt sympathies with the bereaved family in this critical hour and prayed to the Almighty to give peace to the departed soul and strength to the family to bear this irreparable loss.

Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal expressed profound shock over the death of noted Punjabi writer Santokh Singh Dhir.

In a condolence message, the Deputy Chief Minister said that in his death Punjab has lost a prolific Punjabi language writer who created a specific niche in the literary world. He said that Punjab would always remain indebted to him for his unstinted campaign for the promotion of Punjabi Language.

The Deputy Chief Minister expressed heartfelt sympathies with the bereaved family and prayed to the God to give peace to the departed soul and strength to them to bear this irreparable loss

Meanwhile Education Minister Dr. Upinderjit Kaur and Information & Public Relations Minister Sewa Singh Sekhwan also condoled the sad demise of Santokh Singh Dheer whose outstanding services for the promotion of the Punjabi languages and literature would be ever remembered by one and all.

Attachments

• santokh_singh_dhir.jpg
    santokh_singh_dhir.jpg
    9.1 KB · Reads: 3,055

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM